Menu

It's Banned Books Week -- how many have you read?

Hi:

I was requesting books online at my library's site (what else? :D) and I see it's Banned Books Week with a list of the top ten banned books of America. How many of the books on the list have you read?

I have read two:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

I want to read now:

The Golden Compass

And Tango Makes Three (to ds)

and

It's Perfectly Normal

I get curious -- but I really don't enjoy reading bad words.

I've read them all except ttyl, although today is a library day, so I hope to have read them all by Monday. ;)

We own:

The Color Purple (I was 18 when I first read it & and I loved it. I've never seen the movie because I love the book so much.)

Huck Finn

I know Why The Caged Bird Sinngs

It's Perfectly Normal

The Golden Compass

I do not need to get this mad this early in the morning. :glare:

Dd read the penguin one- Tango Makes Three- when she was littler. It was such a sweet story from what I remember. The fact it is on this list makes me want to pack up and leave the country.

Both dd and I have read Huck Finn, I've read I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and Color Purple eons ago.

Some of those books look like they would interest dd, so I appreciate the book suggestions. :lol:

I've read Huck, and picked up "Normal" at a garage sale. I wish I'd had "Normal" when I was about 13.

I had Chairman Mao's Little Red Book taken (by US customs) from me when we moved back from Australia, in the '60's. They also took my colored pencils, which were stamped with Made in China. I cried over the pencils (I was little), but not the book.

I'm trying to remember why I had the Chairman's book. I suspect it was an experiment by my brother...to see if it would "go through".

"The enemy of our enemy is our friend". I remember that one.

And Tango Makes Three was read aloud recently for our church's "story for all ages.

/quote]

Gotta be a UU church.:bigear: The first time I heard it was at a Children's Sunday service. Right after the Flower Communion.

Yep. Although I will probably always have quibbles with the UUs, there are some things we get right.