Menu

Ok, it's 77 degrees out and I'm feeling cold...

creekland

As the thread title says...

It's 77 degrees out and unless I'm directly in the sun with no breeze, I'm feeling cold and want to put on jeans and a jacket.  No one else feels that way.  It's been this way pretty much the whole time we've been in FL and was that way in Nov when we were in FL too.  

This is probably not a good thing.  I feel like I should be in my 70s or 80s rather than in my upper 40s.  People look at you funny if you're wearing too much in this weather and don't look like a retiree, so I'm dealing with being cold and have moved my chair into the sun - hopefully soaking up Vitamin D and being glad I don't burn.

Any other suggestions?  (No illness is involved - fever, etc.)

• Like 1

It's 81F here today. Most of the people I've seen at the grocery store are wearing jeans and longer sleeves. A few have jackets. A few are in shorts. If you're living in FL, 81 can be a bit chilly.

If your thyroid and hemoglobin levels are normal, I'd let it go. If you haven't had them checked in the past 6 months, I'd mention it and get some lab work done. 

We don't live in FL.  We live in PA and are just here for a week supposedly enjoying the warmer weather.  As of Jan, both thyroid and RBC numbers came back just fine.

I'm adding a jacket (sigh).

Getting older is downright annoying!   :cursing:

At least my guys are getting to enjoy the warmth!  (And I can still enjoy the greenery!)

Huh.  I don't know.  77 would feel close to hot for me.  It's 58 today which is relatively wonderful for the area.  I'll probably not need my winter jacket tonight when I cart my kid to gymnastics.

That's what my normal used to be like.  (sigh)  Enjoy it while you can!

My comfort zone used to go from 50-80.  I'm no longer sure of what it is now.   :glare:

• Like 1

I'm pregnant right now and have been running around in 20 degree weather with no coat.  The flip side of this is that this summer, my hormones will swing the other way, and I'll spend it in long sleeves and maybe a light jacket.  I'll take the funny looks just as long as I'm comfortable!

• Like 1

That's what my normal used to be like.  (sigh)  Enjoy it while you can!

My comfort zone used to go from 50-80.  I'm no longer sure of what it is now.   :glare:

I've had my moments.  Like waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat even though it's cold. 

My mother's mother lived in Florida.  She only visited us once in CT.  She came in the summer and even though it was in the 80s she had on a sweater and complained it was cold.  Comical.

• Like 1

If you've been that way a long time I would get a doc who would be willing to track your thyroid levels (all the tests, not just T4) over a period of time just to ensure you aren't trending towards hypothyroidism. Core coldness is a symptom.

Looking online at Thyroid issues, esp since post radiation I've been told it could become an issue, nothing else symptom-wise seems to match, but who knows I guess.

January's numbers were fine though and this also happened last Nov when we came down here.

That is my normal. When it gets about 85 I begin to get comfortable. The doc claims it's my low heart rate. Who knows if that is true but it's 70 and I'm wearing 2 shirts, a sweater and a blanket.

Well... misery loves company, so I'm glad you shared that this is normal for you!

I'd just prefer if some things could remain constant as we aged.  This is one of those - well - my previous comfort zone being my comfort zone is one of those.

• Like 1

Well, if you're in Central Florida it's pretty windy today so yeah, kind of cool in the shade. 

I'm a wimpy Floridian who hates cold weather though (cold weather is defined as anything below 70F), and even I don't think 77 is cool. It's not hot either. It's perfect.

It's not that windy here right now fortunately.

But I added a jacket.  That makes it feel a little bit better.  Before we leave to go get youngest to take him out to dinner I'll put on jeans too.  Otherwise I know I'd be shivering in AC.  Directly in the sun feels ok.  Anything else - not so much.

Still, the rest of the ambiance is terrific, so I can't complain really.

It's not that windy here right now fortunately.

But I added a jacket.  That makes it feel a little bit better.  Before we leave to go get youngest to take him out to dinner I'll put on jeans too.  Otherwise I know I'd be shivering in AC.  Directly in the sun feels ok.  Anything else - not so much.

Still, the rest of the ambiance is terrific, so I can't complain really.

Most long time Floridians keep a light jacket or sweater in the car because we know it will be freezing inside the store/restaurant/wherever-we-go-that-has-a/c. :D

• Like 4

I'm somewhat of an anomaly when it comes to hypothyroidism.  It makes me a LOT hotter than I used to be (apparently that does indeed happen to some hypothyroid people).  Although it's a little better since I've been medicated, I'm still far warmer than I used to be.

It's so much nicer being on the cold side.  Putting on a sweater or jacket is much more socially acceptable than being drenched in sweat.  I'd give anything to be my normal pre-hypothyroidism cold self again. :(

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

As the thread title says...

It's 77 degrees out and unless I'm directly in the sun with no breeze, I'm feeling cold and want to put on jeans and a jacket.  No one else feels that way.  It's been this way pretty much the whole time we've been in FL and was that way in Nov when we were in FL too.  

This is probably not a good thing.  I feel like I should be in my 70s or 80s rather than in my upper 40s.  People look at you funny if you're wearing too much in this weather and don't look like a retiree, so I'm dealing with being cold and have moved my chair into the sun - hopefully soaking up Vitamin D and being glad I don't burn.

Any other suggestions?  (No illness is involved - fever, etc.)

Wow...eat some bacon, creekland, and put on some weight!  (Just joking).

My house is 60 degrees  It is actually cooler inside than outside today.  I love that. 

There are some people who are just frequently cold.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  Hypothyroid condition makes some people cold all the time. 

I am definitely not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt for sure. I just mentioned it because while trying to get to the bottom of my own issues no one can diagnose besides calling them "hormone issues", one of my doctors noted that there is research now saying it's the trend of the thyroid rather than the number being within the normal range for a single test that matters. So now I'm having my levels tracked myself. :)

That's good.  There is "normal" range and then there is YOUR normal.  You need to be at your normal to feel well. 

I'm somewhat of an anomaly when it comes to hypothyroidism.  It makes me a LOT hotter than I used to be (apparently that does indeed happen to some hypothyroid people).  Although it's a little better since I've been medicated, I'm still far warmer than I used to be.

It's so much nicer being on the cold side.  Putting on a sweater or jacket is much more socially acceptable than being drenched in sweat.  I'd give anything to be my normal pre-hypothyroidism cold self again. :(

You bring up a good point.  I'd much rather be cold than hot as it's definitely easier to put more on than take more off.  Of course, I'm the only one sitting here now with a coat on (in a community room at the campground and 2/3rds of the folks here are senior citizens - the temp says 75), but at least I'm not freezing!

I trust this will combat the hot flashes that also come with aging?  It better!!!

Wish we could share though and both feel normal again.

Wow...eat some bacon, creekland, and put on some weight!  (Just joking).

My house is 60 degrees  It is actually cooler inside than outside today.  I love that. 

There are some people who are just frequently cold.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  Hypothyroid condition makes some people cold all the time. 

I'm positive I'm putting weight on with this trip.  Our diet makes a huge change when we travel... 3 weeks ought to have me gaining about 10 - 15lbs, but it will come off again in about as much time once we get back home.  If we ever get to travel 24/7, I'll definitely have to control the foodie bit far more, or just plain control it.  We don't now.

Then there's another 10lbs I want to lose before settling in to a new normal after I get back to pre-trip weight.  I doubt the cold is a low weight problem... yes, I've lost about 30lbs in the past year (before this trip), but I still officially weigh a bit more than I should.  I'll still be on the high side when I get to where I want to be actually.

Maybe the thyroid is starting to give up.  I'll get updated numbers on that in June.

• Like 1