Menu

Gluten free cookout food

PeterPan

This isn't really an area I'm an expert on.  Dh wants to have over a few male friends for an outdoor thing.  He thought he'd serve deer hotdogs and baked beans, but then he fesses up that one of the men is gluten free.  I don't know if these deer hotdogs are gluten free, sigh.  What else would be good?  Are baked beans dependable and safe?  Are canned beans that you make into baked beans (not pork and beans but regular beans) ok?  

I'm not much help.  I told him I'd serve quinoia salad and kale, which he really didn't think was appropriate.   :lol:

So I don't know why I'm drawing a blank.  It ought to be easy, right?  Just need some gluten free cookout foods for a few guys having a nice time together...

Udi's makes some rather passable GF hamburger buns.  Plain meat patties are great.  I wouldn't count on canned baked beans being gluten free unless they are labeled as such.  Fresh veggies are fine.  Baked potatoes, or home fries are good.  Corn chips are generally ok.  Anything that comes pre-seasoned is suspect.  

• Like 3

Ooo, that's helpful!  I didn't know Bush's beans are GF!  And yes, dh is going to send him the food list today so he can make his plans.  And yes, that's what I was afraid, that pre-seasoned things could have the wheat in as starch or something you don't expect.  

I'm thinking we'll do cowboy beans (baked beans with deer) and some kind of sides.  I found a list online suggesting sweet potatoes.  I thought that was kind of fun and camp fire-y.

Items will say Contains: Wheat, soy, milk, eggs  You just need to read the ingredients. All Bush's say they are GF: http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/faqs

Not all gluten-containing foods have wheat, however. Barley also has gluten and can show up in unexpected places in the form of barley malt as a sweetener.

If you're going to serve baked beans and the pre-packaged one does not specifically say it is GF, I would make them from scratch with real beans and brown sugar/honey/maple syrup/etc.

ETA: Here is a list of GF hot dog brands: http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/GlutenFreeMeats/a/Gluten-Free-Hot-Dogs.htm

Edited by Crimson Wife
  • Like 4

Potato salad can be gf, but I wouldn't make it in your kitchen and say it's gf.

I'd get canned gf beans, tortilla or potato chips that are gf (both should limited ingredients potato oil salt, corn oil salt). Gf hot dogs or ground beef. Some gf buns (often in frozen food section sometimes natural food section of the grocery).

You can have other stuff too. Just keep the other stuff separate.

When you grill do you put your bread on the grill? If yes, I'd throw the one guys meat into a frying pan on your stove.

• Like 2

How gluten free? Dietary preference or celiac? Some celiac people will be uncomfortable using the same grill that cooked glutened foods. You can use a disposable foil pan to cook his items and heat up the beans in one too to avoid cross contamination. Tongs can contaminate... Keep the chips in the bag and let him go through first. Or buy individual bags. 

• Like 3

How gluten free? Dietary preference or celiac? Some celiac people will be uncomfortable using the same grill that cooked glutened foods. You can use a disposable foil pan to cook his items and heat up the beans in one too to avoid cross contamination. Tongs can contaminate... Keep the chips in the bag and let him go through first. Or buy individual bags.

This is why I suggested he ask his friend. Chances are if he's at the celiac end of the spectrum versus just eating gf as a dietary choice, the friend will say that he'll bring his own food.

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on canned baked beans being gluten free unless they are labeled as such.  Fresh veggies are fine.  Baked potatoes, or home fries are good.  Corn chips are generally ok.  Anything that comes pre-seasoned is suspect.  

Yes to this.  DH is GF and you have to be careful with canned baked beans etc..  Also cross contamination.