Menu

DD9 has moved up to women's sizes! LF suggestions...

alisoncooks

Picked up a few items at the thrift store this week. I was surprised at the items that fit DD the best: a pair of size 7 capris (juniors?), size 7 women's sneakers, size Medium women's top. And here I thought these would be for the future!

So what are your fave stores/brands for women's clothes...that still look young? DD is still very much YOUNG (emotionally), so I don't want her dressing like a teenager. She's active and still plays and wants to be comfortable.

Anyone else have little girls who are quickly catching up with mom? What do they wear? Do they have their own style/are they interested in clothes?

I have a 9yo daughter in womans clothes, but she only wears athletic clothes so I doubt I will be much help. 

DD9 wears a woman's size shirt.  She likes athletic clothes so I buy her certain styles of  Under Armour brand shirts.  It is hard to buy for her, because she needs a Large/XL size that is boxy built (not slim fit), a thick fabric (she doesn't wear a bra yet but needs ummm coverage so to speak), and a shorter length since she is only 5ft tall. This is not easy to find LOL. 

She pretty much lives in shorts, so I buy her favorite, mesh athletic shorts with a 6inch inseam. 

She only has 2 pair of pants (one pair ofUA sweats and one pair of Champion). We live in the PNW, so her attire doesn't look out of place, but she gets comments all winter long about her wearing shorts. LOL She only wears pants once a month or so....only if it is going to be very cold out and she plans to be out in it. 

Edited by Tap

My 5'3" 95 lb kid fits junior type clothes best. For kids' shirts she would need extra large and they're just too big around for her. She's not developed enough for women's clothes. The clothes that look best on her I've found at Aeropostale (XS shirts, small leggings, 000 jeans), and she has a couple of things from American Eagle and Hollister. We can find long, skinny stuff at these places. I've now done two on-line orders at Aeropostale and haven't had to return anything--and it's really pretty cheap ($10 leggings, tees < $10). There are good sales regularly too. I had put a bunch of stuff for both girls in my online cart but didn't finish the order because it was pretty late--the next day I had a 20% off code in my email. Score!

Justice

I agree with Justice.  The nice thing is that their clothes aren't designed for breasts like womans clothes are.  If she really likes teen clothes, Hollister's clearance section can be pretty easy on the budget.  

Im not crazy about heavily branded clothing so I only like some of the Justice items, Stores like TJ Maxx  Marshalls and Ross have Jrs sections that often sell items that my teen age daughter likes, that aren't branded as heavily.

Edited by Tap

Oldest DD has lived in Target graphic tees since she sized out of the girls' section. Old Navy and Kohl's occasionally.

Lol, *I* live in graphic tees from Target. (I shop the men's section for t-shirts because I like the fit better). DD has been inheriting all those that I have...ahem...outgrown.

• Like 2

(Sorry for all the individual quotes -- can't multiquote on my phone)

My 9yo is very narrow-shouldered and slender, but wears a 7.5 women's shoe. I look in juniors for her clothing because it usually runs slim, especially the XS. The styles are current and grated toward teens, so I have to be aware of modesty.

Well, DD is not especially slim. She's not what I would call curvy, though. I have to find tops with higher necklines because she doesn't fill out the chest...but we still need the width around the tummy and waist.

Casual clothes aren't such a problem (we have tees aplenty, and I like the idea mentioned above for athletic capris from the ladies section!). I most struggle to find "nice" clothes for church or going out. She doesn't like jeans unless they have a lot of stretch (I found some at Walmart that might be perfect) but again, finding nice tops that don't gape at the neck is a struggle. I'll have to check Justice, Kohl's and Old Navy. A nearby shopping area has all 3. :)

Lands end, though pricey, goes up to girls 16 & runs big.

My daughter wears a ladies medium tee shirt, but also fits in LE 16. Especially for swim suits & tank tops as she isn't very big up too yet & ladies swim tops are too baggy.

We love the swim suits from LE (especially if I find sale items with free shipping!) :)

Lol, *I* live in graphic tees from Target. (I shop the men's section for t-shirts because I like the fit better). DD has been inheriting all those that I have...ahem...outgrown.

We are now into "upcycling" the men's into women's tees. Easy to sew if you have a machine. :)