Menu

Hands-on science to combine 3rd grader and kindergartener?

Bookworm4

If a Christian worldview curriculum is okay, take a look at Jay Wile's elementary science series. It's designed for K–6. The first book is "Science in the Beginning." I used it last year with K through 4th graders and am using the next in the series "Science in the Ancient World" with K through 6th graders, with lessons twice a week. You would only need one copy of the text. A hands-on component for every lesson and review questions on three levels (youngest, older, and oldest students). You could cover main points orally with the kindergartener (and maybe the 3rd grader - or have him or her read at least some of the text).

Erica in OR 

• Like 2

If a Christian worldview curriculum is okay, take a look at Jay Wile's elementary science series. It's designed for K–6. The first book is "Science in the Beginning." I used it last year with K through 4th graders and am using the next in the series "Science in the Ancient World" with K through 6th graders, with lessons twice a week. You would only need one copy of the text. A hands-on component for every lesson and review questions on three levels (youngest, older, and oldest students). You could cover main points orally with the kindergartener (and maybe the 3rd grader - or have him or her read at least some of the text).

Erica in OR 

Thank you.  We're using Science in the Beginning this year with just my 2nd grader (sometimes my Pre-K joins in for experiments but doesn't usually stick around for the reading).  I was nervous to go onto Science in the Ancient World since I was seeing mixed reviews.  Is it easy for your younger one to jump into that book not having done other science in the past?  Also, do you feel like it stays long enough on a topic before moving to a different area of science in history?

BFSU would work well.  It's very hands-on and discussion-based.  There is surprising depth for an elementary science curriculum, but it allows flexibility to into that depth or not depending on the child's readiness.  You could do the lessons with both children and include extra discussion points with the older child.

• Like 3

Mr. Q? I'm looking at using his life science for a 3rd grader next year, with an occasional kindergarten tag-a-long. DD/2nd and I just looked it over fairly closely. The life lessons have about two days worth of reading and worksheets followed by two days of activities.

Edited by SilverMoon

A few years ago I tried to combine my 6th, 4th, and K'er with Science in the Beginning. While I love, love, love Dr. Wile and think it's a great program, it just was over my K'er's head. So I separated out my younger one and set her up with some Magic School Bus kits and kept it up with the older 2. That worked well.

Now that that K'er is in 3rd grade, I'm going with God's Design for Science instead. I don't know if that would work better to combine kids than Science in the Beginning or not, but I'm excited to start it. I found that I prefer going through science by topic vs by time period as Dr. Wile does.

ETA: Mr. Q life science and earth science were both good, but I was underwhelmed by the chemistry and physical science.

Edited by Momto5inIN

Thank you.  We're using Science in the Beginning this year with just my 2nd grader (sometimes my Pre-K joins in for experiments but doesn't usually stick around for the reading).  I was nervous to go onto Science in the Ancient World since I was seeing mixed reviews.  Is it easy for your younger one to jump into that book not having done other science in the past?  Also, do you feel like it stays long enough on a topic before moving to a different area of science in history?

A younger one could jump into the book. It revisits some of the topics from the first, which was a nice review for some of the students I'd had the year before. The Ancient World is somewhat arranged by historical figures, so depending if a particular person had several ideas associated with them, they might stay with a particular theme for several lessons. It isn't as linked that way as Science in the Beginning. We've been doing "key person" sheets for some of the figures; a homeschool mom had put together a single page to fill in, so I adapted those ideas. My goal for elementary science is more to develop an excitement for science, and to experience many things hands on. The book does touch on a lot of topics. I've liked to start each lesson with a review of the previous one—to do the questions after their brain has had a couple days to bring it together. Then we do the new experiment, and discuss the major ideas of the lesson.

The kindergartener would definitely experience/handle things on a different level. When I was starting Ancient World this year, I had the group split into K/1/2 and then 3/4/5/6. Due to changes in the main classroom, all grades are now together at one time. It's doable, but they're all processing it at their own level—kindergarteners, they get to experience what we're doing and make some connections. 

Just one person's experience... :)

Erica in OR

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery Science!!!!  I'm using it with my 2nd grader and Ker now, and my pre-k guy is tagging along as well.  Very hands on, completely open-and-go, fun and engaging for the kids, and it's free until June so you could try it out before buying.  It's secular.  We took spring break this week and a couple of days ago my 8yo asked me, "Even though tomorrow is supposed to be a free day, can we please do Mystery Science?"  It basically rocks my socks off.

https://mysteryscience.com/

You've probably already chosen, but just seconding Home Science Adventures! We used the microscope Adventures one and loved it.

You could do one or two of the kits, and then add in nature study (LOVED this) by keeping a nature notebook, and perhaps designing a habitat or two--do a butterfly, or keep a wormery, or set up a terrarium. Have the 3rd grader observe and document over time. My dd, in 7th grade, kept a terrarium at school in her science class. Every week, they would measure and observe certain things, and every week also added something to change the mini-environment and noted effects.

Just a little OOTB idea for you.

Real Science 4 Kids was a major hit with mine when at that age spread. We only did Focus on Elem. Chem but they still beg to do it again several years later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are trying Real Science 4 Kids next year. My fifth grader is going to use their middle school text, but we have the same age gap between the others for elementary. We are doing geology and chemistry Focus books. I have looked at the chemistry, and the experiments in middle school and elementary are mostly the same type of thing with a different focus in their lab workbook. I like that there only ten experiments, and ten weeks or so per topic. So I can do two topics a year and not feel like I have to do science or an experiment every single week. I like that my fifth grader can get a meatier text and still coordinate with our younger kids.

The following year, we are going to do Elemental Science biology. Elemental Science combines k-4 as well. Biology is especially good for a kindergarten topic, I thought. I will have k and a third grader that year. We used Elemental Science physics with a first and fourth grader this current year. I'd just have the kindergartener follow along with the readings and experiments and just have the third grader do the student worksheets. Maybe the kindergartener can draw some pictures about what they learned. For the biology in a couple years, I plan to have my kindergartener do an animal notebook journal type of thing. But Elemental Science also has some optional projects and even art extensions the kindergartener can participate in, such as a diorama of different types of habitats, animal art, etc. it is very flexible. You can add Magic School Bus videos in on some days too. My kids love Magic School Bus, and their science kits are great too for extra.

Edited by AdventuresinHomeschooling

I'm using RSO with 4th and 2nd graders, and a 5yo tag along. Usually he likes it, sometimes he doesn't. Just depends on his interest in that days activity. I'm planning to use it again next year with 5th, 3rd, and kindy.

Eta: we just played out in space, an earth and space board game, and my 5yo knew the answers. He got more out of RSO this year than I thought.

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1