Menu

OY! What to do with a baby biter?!

Kerileanne99

So apparently in naming our 10 mo old Max, he absolutely is. He is somehow in the 97th percentile for height and weight (take that, mom, who insisted vegetarians couldn't breastfeed or would have failure to thrive babies:) despite some dairy issues and and an umbilical hernia, this kid is the happiest and healthiest I could have wished for:)

But this kid is so big and strong that I am struggling. I am in a wheelchair, and have serious difficulty in carrying him. He is a prime candidate for attachment parenting-he wants yo's be held constantly, just to see the world around him....but I can no longer physically wear him as he is 27 pounds! He is chubby, but solid and on the go ALL.THE.TIME. As in does not stop, already walking, and into everything.

The biggest problem I am having at the moment besides keeping up is biting! We aren't talking little nips, but large enough to draw large bruises and blood. So far it is just me as his sister has sensory issues and squirms away if he gets too close. But I have found myself flinching every time he gets near me! Poor kid, he obviously needs something...but has already given me split lips, a black eye and countless bites:( needless to say, I had to stop BFing...

I have tried lots of gentle correction. Everything I can find is for toddler/preschooler biters. Sorry, I won't put jalapeño oil in my babies mouth, or hit his mouth/spank when he does it.

Are there other solutions? Or do I just have to keep reiterating 'no biting' when he does it? He thinks it's a game I think now?

Right now I am resorting to multiple layers of clothing, but we do live in Texas so that won't work for long!

Ouch!

You may have already tried this, but the one thing that worked for us was to have a ready supply of stuff the child could bite (especially new interesting stuff) and to be on alert and quickly interrupt as he's going in for the bite and cheerfully redirect to the alternative. Obviously not full proof as the new object can be used as hurled across the room or used as ammo!

• Like 2

mine did that at the same age. He had a full mouth of teeth and I think he just didn't understand. He was only 10 months old, after all.  A friend of many children gave me some good advice.  When he bit, I was to put him down, give him a stern and angry face and say No Bite, firmly.  Then I was to turn my back to him and count to 10.  When I turned around I should smile like I hadn't seen him in a while and was sooo happy to see him, cuddle him etc.  Another suggestions she had was to remind him when I picked him up etc, just say with a serious face, no bite, like a reminder and then carry on with cuddling or whatever. Don't say it in anger, just like 'hey, remember not to bite me,ok? I mean it"

He stopped biting in about two days. Turning my back on him for that count of ten had a big impact.

I have no idea if this will help or even be possible for you, but it's all I got, lol. He is such a young child, really to young to truly understand what he is doing.

And why in the world would you have to say sorry for refusing to put jalapeno oil in his mouth or hitting him? My god, who would suggest such a thing? I wouldn't do that to a pup that bit, much less a baby..or an adult for that matter.

• Like 3

I agree, putting my babies down when they bit, worked for me. Lots of times my baby would bite me on the shoulder when I was holding him and talking to someone else. He would get bored and bite me to get me moving. Like yours, he loved being held, so putting him down really worked. Good luck!

• Like 1

My younger sister was a biter. She is 10 years younger than me. This is what I did. when she went to bite me I whipped her hand between me and her ( where she was biting) and she bit herself instead. she was 1 and I was 11 years old at the time. She never ever bit anyone ever again and to this day she remembers what I did and how much it hurt when she bit herself.

Not sure as an adult I would have done this but children see things differently and the solution certainly worked.

• Like 1

Is this a recent phenomenon or more long-term?  (and how long term can it really be with a 10 month old?  hah).  If it is fairly recent, say weeks, and he has had any sinus congestion at all, perhaps his teeth just itch and ache uncontrollably and he is looking for the most satisfying way of relieving the pressure?  I know that when I have any congestion at all my teeth drive me crazy, because my sinuses clog in those bits on my face, not the bits in my head.  So, no headaches, but lots of itchy teeth.

They also make those teething necklaces for moms made out of silicone; maybe if you had one of those he could chew on it would satisfy the physical urge.

• Like 1

mine did that at the same age. He had a full mouth of teeth and I think he just didn't understand. He was only 10 months old, after all. A friend of many children gave me some good advice. When he bit, I was to put him down, give him a stern and angry face and say No Bite, firmly. Then I was to turn my back to him and count to 10. When I turned around I should smile like I hadn't seen him in a while and was sooo happy to see him, cuddle him etc. Another suggestions she had was to remind him when I picked him up etc, just say with a serious face, no bite, like a reminder and then carry on with cuddling or whatever. Don't say it in anger, just like 'hey, remember not to bite me,ok? I mean it"

He stopped biting in about two days. Turning my back on him for that count of ten had a big impact.

I have no idea if this will help or even be possible for you, but it's all I got, lol. He is such a young child, really to young to truly understand what he is doing.

And why in the world would you have to say sorry for refusing to put jalapeno oil in his mouth or hitting him? My god, who would suggest such a thing? I wouldn't do that to a pup that bit, much less a baby..or an adult for that matter.

Oh, that is a good thing to try! This child wants my constant attention,and craves near constant stimulation and input.

Oh! I totally don't feel badly for not doing anything crazy like torturing my baby! When I said sorry, I meant it sarcastically😄

Have a dentist look a this teeth, if he has infant tooth decay he might bite as a pain management method (I've had a couple whose teeth started decaying as soon as they came in).

Not a super common problem, but worth looking into.

Very good point. He had all 4 top teeth come in at the same time, starting at 5 months! A couple of my siblings were born without enamel so making an appointment is a good idea anyway.
  • Like 1

Have a dentist look a this teeth, if he has infant tooth decay he might bite as a pain management method (I've had a couple whose teeth started decaying as soon as they came in).

Not a super common problem, but worth looking into.

Very good point. He had all 4 top teeth come in at the same time, starting at 5 months! A couple of my siblings were born without enamel so making an appointment is a good idea anyway.

Is this a recent phenomenon or more long-term? (and how long term can it really be with a 10 month old? hah). If it is fairly recent, say weeks, and he has had any sinus congestion at all, perhaps his teeth just itch and ache uncontrollably and he is looking for the most satisfying way of relieving the pressure? I know that when I have any congestion at all my teeth drive me crazy, because my sinuses clog in those bits on my face, not the bits in my head. So, no headaches, but lots of itchy teeth.

They also make those teething necklaces for moms made out of silicone; maybe if you had one of those he could chew on it would satisfy the physical urge.

It is a fairly recent thing, but he hasn't been ill.

I actually wonder if it wasn't my reaction that started it! He as nursing, late at night and suddenlt chomped. I was have asleep, and screamed and yanked away:(

In my defense, he drew blood all around the nipple and left a bruise that radiated all around it. I tried nursing for a few days after that, but I swear he thought it was a game. He would nurse for a minute or two, then you could feel the little imp go still and quiet before a huge bite. And then he GIGGLED😳

So yeah. That combined with my flinching (not to mention that I have been delaying taking much- needed medication for months so that I could nurse!) effectively ended my nursing career.

• Like 1

Oh, all of mine have been nursing sharks at that age, and I wean at about 1 year old because I can't stand it anymore (nor can I stand nursing at 1 anyway, I am just so done at 1 yr).  The way I knew they were about to bite was the pause; I'd look down; they'd smile!; then the bite.

The only thing that sounds out of the ordinary to me is the strength of the biting.  Blood!  Bruising!  

• Like 1

In my defense, he drew blood all around the nipple and left a bruise that radiated all around it. I tried nursing for a few days after that, but I swear he thought it was a game. He would nurse for a minute or two, then you could feel the little imp go still and quiet before a huge bite. And then he GIGGLED😳

What a little booger! ;)