Menu

When can parents call colleges to ask questions?

Joules

So I know that the students should make all of the calls, and calls from busy body parents are discouraged, but when is it OK to call for information, if ever?

Wouldn't a college rather talk to a parent, let's say to give said parent ammunition to "sell" the school?  Or would it just be better to let it fall off the list?

I also can't help but think I might be able to prod a little more offering for an out-of-reach school, but ds is only considering the offer in hand.

I'm guessing this is one of the cases I need to just "Let it go!" but I was wondering if anyone else ever breaks down and calls.

Students should do as much as possible as far as asking questions about their major, setting up visits, and so on. I think it's good practice in general, and makes a good impression on the school/professors. 

However, I've called several schools for various reasons, and no one blinked an eye. Honestly, I bet they forgot about the call as soon as they hung up. No one is tracking random calls to administration or financial aid, and no one is going to rescind an offer even if a parent does make an annoying call. 

Financial aid in particular, that's a perfectly appropriate call for a parent to make. They know that it's mostly parents paying the bills, after all! 

• Like 4

Let me add that several schools were practically aggressive about parental contact - sending multiple letters addressed to us, urging us to contact them any time, and so on. When dd was making her second round of visits, I didn't even enter the same building because everyone kept inviting me in on her meetings, lol.  

I have contacted schools about both financial and transcript issues and found them to be very helpful.  As a home school parent, the transcript is in your hands and you'll want to provide it in the format that the admissions people want to see. The financial issues can't usually be addressed by the student either if the parents are the ones paying.

In addition, in the earlier high schools years, I called the admissions departments of a few colleges of interest to find out what they are looking for in a home school curriculum, what kinds of tests they want to see, etc. Again, they were very helpful.

If you are seeking help concerning admissions, college or department visits, information about residence halls, etc, you should let your student call or email about these. Do make sure that your student has an adult-like email address that has some association to their real name.

• Like 2

I am buying something that costs more than my house.  I call each and every time I have a question, and I politely ask as many questions (within reason) as are needed to get a full understanding of the answer.  This has never once caused a problem.  

If my child has a question, and has access to a phone during business hours, they can certainly call, and they do.  But we approach college applications as a team/family activity, so I will call on their behalf if they are not able to make the call for one reason or another.

• Like 8

In addition to what was said above, I also called to set up an initial round of college visits.  I did this because I knew that my kid would have dragged his feet due to social anxiety and it needed to be done.  I used the excuse that my child was in class whenever the office was open and I wanted to make sure that we were available to visit on the days they had in mind. 

• Like 2

I called colleges early (before high school) to see what colleges like to see in homeschool graduates. I also have called due to transcript issues and financial issues. My son called to set up interviews, to make college visits or to handle anything regarding classes or to talk to his advisor.

I think it's fine to have a distribution of labor, my ds wouldn't have known what to ask for in regards to transcript and the one time I had him handle the financial issues, it was a bit of a train wreck. He dies sit with me while we do all the financial stuff but he just doesn't have the background to know what the financial aid dept is talking about. We use it as a training exercise.

• Like 1

College tuition costs often rival the costs of a home.

If you are paying for it, then you should call to inquire about any information you need that isn't readily and easily available on the website.

And you needn't feel ashamed either.

Its parents like you that keep a large part of university office staff in a job, so they have no reason to complain :D.

• Like 4

Mathmarm,

I don't know if it is the pain med induced fog, but I literally laughed out loud at your signature!!  I think I fall into the intermediate napping category!

2013: Introductory Napping, Advanced Sleeping through the Night, Intermediate Breastfeeding and Beginning Infant Toileting.

2014: Intermediate Napping, Seminar: Sleeping through the Night, Advanced Breastfeeding, Introductory Bottle Drinking, Intro. to Crawling.

2015: Advanced Napping, Introduction to Weaning, Introductory Solid foods, Advanced Mobility, Advanced Toileting
  • Like 1

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it :) I've had a couple of people PM me to say that they love my sig so I keep it "updated" with what we're doing.

Also, I'm sorry that you're in pain enough to require meds. :grouphug:

I hope you feel better soon.

:grouphug:

Mathmarm,

I don't know if it is the pain med induced fog, but I literally laughed out loud at your signature!!  I think I fall into the intermediate napping category!

2013: Introductory Napping, Advanced Sleeping through the Night, Intermediate Breastfeeding and Beginning Infant Toileting.2014: Intermediate Napping, Seminar: Sleeping through the Night, Advanced Breastfeeding, Introductory Bottle Drinking, Intro. to Crawling.2015: Advanced Napping, Introduction to Weaning, Introductory Solid foods, Advanced Mobility, Advanced Toileting

I am buying something that costs more than my house.  I call each and every time I have a question, and I politely ask as many questions (within reason) as are needed to get a full understanding of the answer.  This has never once caused a problem.  

If my child has a question, and has access to a phone during business hours, they can certainly call, and they do.  But we approach college applications as a team/family activity, so I will call on their behalf if they are not able to make the call for one reason or another.

This is more my philosophy, so I hate the conventional wisdom that I have to stay out of it.

• Like 2

I feel Ii can communicate when it relates to money, academic documentation or anything a guidance counselor might step in for.

I recently got involved when a school couldn't find ds's test scores. The admissions person who responded to his emails was not able to find the scores and could only suggest resenting them. I called a week later when scores still weren't showing up. The admissions person I spoke to was able to find the scores in about 5 minutes and pull them into his file.

• Like 2

I make research phone calls if the web site info fails to satisfy.

"Hello.  I am researching your ___ program."

Do you have an articulation agreement with university X?

Are you accredited by agency Y?

Do you require piece of paper Z?

I am unapologetically a research assistant / accountability coach if the young adult still desires my project management skills. But, like someone said upthread, I try to make it a training exercise for the student.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

I am fairly phobic about phones, so I have never called a college. However, I emailed lots! I emailed about financial aid. I emailed about transcripts. I emailed about lost test scores and lost transcripts. I emailed the registrar about transfer credit information that wasn't on the website. I have never had anyone at any college be anything less than helpful and friendly in response to my emails. My kids were accepted at every college they applied to, a short list of not overly competitive schools, but I can still state that my emails didn't adversely impact their admissions.

The college where ds ended up HIGHLY encourages parent involvement. I don't know where the idea that students should do all the interacting came from, but our experience says it isn't necessary at all.

I will add a footnote that says I encouraged the kids to do the emailing when it was program questions and I never needed to contact ds's school after he got there. Any issues are his to handle, although I would still step in with financial issues if there were any. I have helped both my kids word emails so they would become a learning experience. I can't help them learn to deal with phone calls because it isn't in my own skill set.

• Like 1