Menu

WSJ article on homeschooling... in the "Mansion" section

marbel

The idea is not new though. Before my grandparents were born, the weathier families already have subject tutors coming to their home to teach. A study/school room was (and still is according to my China friends) normal in bigger homes because the acreage is there to build. My grandparents were taught at home by all the village elders who were keeping an eye on village kids. They just impart their knowlege and skills in the 3Rs, VoTech, music and art. My parents, aunts and uncles went to school because my grandparents migrated from China before kids were born and they live in the city (ETA: the clan elders were mostly in trades and clan schools were financed by rich clansmen).

It says to view you need to sign in or subscribe. :(

I could read the entire article on my iPhone. Try another web browser?

ETA:

Didn't England had a similar "system" for the rich of having tutors in their mansion?

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4

Maybe I can boost the value on this box if I market it as a bespoke education environment.  

"Note the IKEA bookcases and desks, painstakingly assembled by the previous owners, saving you thousands in couple's therapy.  Scientific experiments in mold, viruses, and bacteria await your children's investigation.  Countless hours and careful consideration have gone into procuring the finest specimens for windowsill rock displays, and still many more remain to be cultivated from the eroding shale driveway, sunken rock pathways, and the red rock archaeological wonder that stands right outside your back door.  Be sure to bring your bug catching and critter keeping supplies, because the fun lasts year round, indoors and out."

• Like 20

The idea is not new though. Before my grandparents were born, the weathier families already have subject tutors coming to their home to teach. A study/school room was (and still is according to my China friends) normal in bigger homes because the acreage is there to build. My grandparents were taught at home by all the village elders who were keeping an eye on village kids. They just impart their knowlege and skills in the 3Rs, VoTech, music and art. My parents, aunts and uncles went to school because my grandparents migrated from China before kids were born and they live in the city.

I could read the entire article on my iPhone. Try another web browser?

ETA:

Didn't England had a similar "system" for the rich of having tutors in their mansion?

No, it is not new.  The wealthy, upper classes had tutors for their kids.    That's what this really is, mostly.

Thanks to those who gave alternate methods for accessing the article!

That's kind to what we are going for when we build, on a slightly less extravagant level. Being able to customize your home to the needs of the teacher and student is a nice perk. Not necessary for learning, but nice.

I had a heck of a time getting past the paywall. I had to go onto my phone, open an incognito window, and then google the title of the article. Apparently the WSJ has really beefed up their paywall security.

The article made me both giggle and roll my eyes. I'm glad my dd doesn't want to enter any cooking contests, because she'd have a heck of a time competing with kids who have multiple professional chefs hired to train them one-on-one and who get to practice cooking wild boar ragu for $125 a head home dinner parties.  :001_rolleyes:  Most of the stuff in the article didn't seem that crazy to me, but that one family was really over-the-top, lol.

• Like 4

Maybe I can boost the value on this box if I market it as a bespoke education environment.

"Note the IKEA bookcases and desks, painstakingly assembled by the previous owners, saving you thousands in couple's therapy. Scientific experiments in mold, viruses, and bacteria await your children's investigation. Countless hours and careful consideration have gone into procuring the finest specimens for windowsill rock displays, and still many more remain to be cultivated from the eroding shale driveway, sunken rock pathways, and the red rock archaeological wonder that stands right outside your back door. Be sure to bring your bug catching and critter keeping supplies, because the fun lasts year round, indoors and out."

This is amazing.

• Like 2

"Note the IKEA bookcases and desks, painstakingly assembled by the previous owners, saving you thousands in couple's therapy. Scientific experiments in mold, viruses, and bacteria await your children's investigation. Countless hours and careful consideration have gone into procuring the finest specimens for windowsill rock displays, and still many more remain to be cultivated from the eroding shale driveway, sunken rock pathways, and the red rock archaeological wonder that stands right outside your back door. Be sure to bring your bug catching and critter keeping supplies, because the fun lasts year round, indoors and out."

Seriously. You killed it.

• Like 1