Menu

This one is different... (Sort of)

creekland

Checked e-mail just before heading outside for pony feeding and this greeted me:  (I hadn't seen one like it yet, so got a chuckle at the new tactics - but also a seriously??? moment too.  Do they not realize keeping the trunks would be illegal, so not only are they scamming, they're looking for an aide to a crime?  OOPS!  I forgot to keep it to myself!   :lol: )

My Dearest: 

This is Captain John Powell, of The US Special operations forces, assign to dislodge the Strong Hold of the Islamic State (ISIL) in Iraq. On Thursday 22nd day of October, 2015. The Special Forces accompanied Kurdish units on a successful mission to rescue 70 prisoners from the Islamic State.  During the operation, we came across a way house full of deadly weaponry and two trunk boxes that contained cash estimated at 35 million united states dollars, there was a need to alert the authorities, alternatively my 3 other colleagues and I decided to keep the 2 trunk boxes to support the family of late Master Sgt. Joshua Wheeler who died in that same operation.

Kindly keep this sensitive information to yourself if you are not willing to assist us to secure these two trunk boxes, since we are still in service. Do remember that our lives and that of our families are at stake for any disclosure of this sensitive information.

Further details will be discuss upon your positive response and other necessary information will be given to you for the official claim.
Capt. John Powell.
  • Like 7

Wow!! Scammers are getting creative! How sad that they are using a sensitive topic as war and military personnel to try to do it, but not surprising though... folks like those have no boundaries. I did chuckle at the "dearest", good to know you are in their good side :)

• Like 3

I always like to pick apart the many errors in punctuation, capitalization and grammar in those kind of emails...because after all I am a homeschool Mom. :laugh:

Anyway, I think if Creekland keeps one trunk with 35 million, the Special Forces will overlook it. They have better things to do.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

He clearly asked you not to disclose this top secret information, and yet here you are posting it for the entire world to read!

(Sarcasm)

Lol!!!! When I was reading I was fighting baby for nap, the thought of military families and the sad reality of it came to mind, and THEN I read your post. You got me so good!!! I thought you were serious. Thanks for the chuckle! After having my eye and nose poked, and then my shoulder bitten...and he STILL refuses to nap...I needed a good laugh :)
  • Like 1

I always like to pick apart the many errors in punctuation, capitalization and grammar in those kind of emails...because after all I am a homeschool Mom. :laugh:

Anyway, I think if Creekland keeps one trunk with 35 million, the Special Forces will overlook it. They have better things to do.

They won't overlook it, it's too much money. She will get in so much trouble! She would have to share the loot with board members, that way it wouldn't be as noticeable. We'll help her with that process :)
  • Like 4

I see that it is a scam, and I laughed, but now I'm irritated.  I must need chocolate.  Who the flip tries to market that kind of a scam?  And who the flip would respond to it?  A real piece of work, that one. 

In a previous field of work, I helped facilitate some folks' Leavenworth vacations due to behavior along these lines.

Also, that isn't how you write a military date.  Try harder next time, guys.     

• Like 2

Would go a long way for your future travel plans...

Darn!  I didn't think of that way... I should have responded. (sigh) 

And I am impressed by your apparent security clearance!

Hey there... I had a Top Secret Clearance in my military days!  Never mind that it might have expired decades ago...

How could you share that here when the lives of those soldiers and their families are at stake????

I know... blame it on the radiation.  I blame all my other mental mistakes on it, so it has to be that.  It's more soothing to blame things on that than old age.

Hive Scholarship Fund!  I could have started it!!!

I see that it is a scam, and I laughed, but now I'm irritated.  I must need chocolate.  Who the flip tries to market that kind of a scam?  And who the flip would respond to it?  A real piece of work, that one. 

In a previous field of work, I helped facilitate some folks' Leavenworth vacations due to behavior along these lines.

Also, that isn't how you write a military date.  Try harder next time, guys.     

I wondered about the bolded too.  This is what they think will work?  I sure hope it doesn't!

• Like 2

Sadly, this is JUST the type of thing my step-father would respond to. He has been scammed so many times, and by the dumbest of scams. He was bad enough when my mother was alive and she could curtail him somewhat but now that she has passed away he is going full steam ahead.

He lives with my sister and she said the other day there were over 30 pieces of mail to him that said things like "How to make millions from home!" and "30 days to wealth!"

So, yes, as stupid as this scam is there are people who are even more stupid and fall for them!

Sadly, this is JUST the type of thing my step-father would respond to. He has been scammed so many times, and by the dumbest of scams. He was bad enough when my mother was alive and she could curtail him somewhat but now that she has passed away he is going full steam ahead.

He lives with my sister and she said the other day there were over 30 pieces of mail to him that said things like "How to make millions from home!" and "30 days to wealth!"

So, yes, as stupid as this scam is there are people who are even more stupid and fall for them!

Ok, couldn't "like" this post, so will have to offer you  :grouphug: instead.  That's pretty scary to know, so I imagine it's scarier to see IRL.

• Like 2

Must be large trunks... roughly $1million fits in a large paper grocery bag... not a briefcase... so maybe 6mil per trunk or 12mil total...

Or maybe its in Euros with $500 notes so 60mil Euros... but is that even worth it with currency conversion charges ;)

Large trunks would be ok.  We have a decent sized empty nest house.  We could use a spare bedroom to keep them in.   :D