Menu

Which math after Singapore 5?

chicagoshannon

We finished 6a and I just felt it was time to move on. We went on to Saxon 8/7 because someone let us have it for free. I'm not super mathy so Saxon seemed like a curriculum with enough resources for us to succeed. We plan to use it long term unless we have any issues we cannot overcome.

From posting the same question you did, these are suggestions I was given:

-AoPS pre-A

-Dolciani pre-a

-Lial's Basic College Math

-Continue singapore through 6a-b then progress to NEM or singapore 7

-Saxon 8/7 or Pre-A, depending on where they test

-MUS algebra but treat it as pre-a before going on

-Math Mammoth 6 (I think...maybe 7)

I honestly can't remember all the suggestions. The one I see most is AoPS.

I own Dolciani pre-a and Lial's BCM. They both seem reasonable places to start after the 5s. 8/7 is nothing but review for the first lessons...I don't know how long. It has been perfect for us to get a handle on some math vocabulary he needed and to move into spending more time each day on math.

Edited by Texas T

I did Singapore 6 with my oldest, went straight to AoPS Pre-Algebra with the rest.  I don't know that doing Singapore 6 was needed, but I didn't know about AoPS at the time.  Going straight to AoPS with everyone else worked fine.  I would not recommend going from Singapore 5 to AoPS Algebra unless the kid is very, very strong in math.

Many old threads.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/323864-who-jumps-ship-after-sm-5a-andor-b/page-1

This one is after SM6 but still worth a read. Lots of info.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/361831-math-after-singapore-6b/

SM6 benefited my DS11 but my DS10 did not have the patience for it and wanted to jump ship to aops. DS10 end up taking a longer time with aops prealgebra so there was no time savings for him (the time he took for prealgebra was longer than his brother took for SM6 followed by prealgebra).

Edited by Arcadia

My daughter went to Jousting Armadillos and loved it. She loves that it is written to her and challenging, but not overly so.

My son will finish 5B in the next two weeks. We will be doing Football Math, Challenge Math, and the sample chapters of AOPS Pre-Alegrbra. If the sample chapter goes well then we will probably go with AOPS next year.

After ds finished Singapore 5A, he did a year-long local course to develop mathematical intuition and reasoning (that doesn't correspond with any typical course).  After that, we started an algebra program that didn't work for us then switched to AOPS Algebra.  It's been a fairly smooth transition (with the exception of the program that didn't work for us).  If you are considering AOPS, just print off the placement tests that are available online to see if Prealgebra or Algebra is a better fit.

Edited by Staceyshoe

We just had to make this decision also. We went with AoPS PreA and it's been a huge jump for my older 6th grader. He's getting the concepts just fine and making the connections BUT . . . the layout and sheer volume of material has both of us feeling like he's drinking daily from the firehose! ;)

After a disastrous end to the first chapter, where he missed an unprecedented number of questions in the review section, I decided we would have to revisit 'how' he does math. We've taken a couple of weeks to review the chapter one exercises, make some flash cards of the key concepts boxes in the text, and spend some time working through Alcumus problems.

Praying chapter two goes more smoothly - if not, we will be jumping ship and swimming hard towards Singapore Dimensions 7-8!!! ;)

Edited by KellyMama