Menu

A sad yarn ? situation for knitters - sorta JAWM

Murphy101

If your dh bought you the biggest yarn subscription he could bc he wanted you to not have to say, "I would love to make this sweater/cape/shawl/poncho but I don't have enough yarn" and it turns out that the largest amount of yarn in the subscription is often barely enough or not enough for even a large or XL size, much less the 3XL claimed - what would you do?  It happens I knit mostly large and xl for myself and my menfolk, so the number of patterns available in this limited range is rather important.

Presume you love the yarn colors.  But no, he just spent over $400 and there's a good possibility it won't be enough yarn for many of the items you have been dying to make. The source basically shrugs about this discrepancy even though you are not the only one to note this problem and in previous subscriptions they allotted far more yarn to each size and never had a complaint about not enough before.  They say we should just request additional skeins for an additional price later.  That would add roughly $200+ you are absolutely not going to spend, so that's just not an option.

Honestly I feel nauseated.  That's a LOT of money to us and I hadn't even looked until now bc it was a gift and why do that, kwim?  But it is not enough yarn to make most large or XL cabled sweaters for example. I think I'd rather chew nails than call him and tell him this.  He will be so terribly disappointed bc we rarely do gifts and he was so dang happy to surprise me with this. I don't really want to have that much of one color way if it's not enough to make sweaters for the average man or myself bc that's a LOT of smaller knits all the same color way. Also, don't suggest a baby blanket.  I don't knit blankets.

ugh.  I think I need to call him and tell him to get a refund.  Way to turn a great valentine into crap Madeline.

That sucks and I'd be mad. They need to calculate the gauge and add 10-20% more to the yardage to account for variability in a subscription service. Barely squeaking by is completely unacceptable. And coming up short is even moreso. If they represent that package size as being adequate to make the largest size of a given garment it needs to actually do it. If they give a range and it only makes the lower end of that range and more is needed that must be very clear in that month's information.

That sucks and I'd be mad. They need to calculate the gauge and add 10-20% more to the yardage to account for variability in a subscription service. Barely squeaking by is completely unacceptable. And coming up short is even moreso. If they represent that package size as being adequate to make the largest size of a given garment it needs to actually do it. If they give a range and it only makes the lower end of that range and more is needed that must be very clear in that month's information.

Well that's what I would have presumed too. Sure I'd expect some patterns to need more. But I wouldn't expect that unless it's a sleeveless all lace cardi that I wouldn't have enough to make an actual sweater.

And in previous years, no one complained it wasn't enough. Some said they had a lot left over, but that is unavoidable bc some are going to knit lacy short sleeved cardigans and some are going to knit long sleeved cabled sweaters with pockets. You can always find another use for leftovers but you're up creek if you don't have enough.

Can you return some of the yarn in exchange for getting more of the rest of the yarn that would be enough??

I am so sorry that happened! I would be so disappointed/heartbroken too.

Yeah. Am I reading right this was the Madeline Tosh sock yarn club? That is pricy and unprofessional of them. And this is if you're knitting to gauge, not ridiculous tight, right? Out of the box it's just too little?

Well, that stinks.....only not really, because that is an awfully sweet gift! But grrrr........I understand your frustration!

Just a couple of ideas: Find someone on Ravelry who has the same subscription, but might have an extra skein or two that they might be willing to sell you at a deep discount. Or, if you can find a yarn close in weight and texture, use that for cuffs or button bands, or maybe even do a little colorwork. (I know you said jawm, but I am a fix-it sort of person. I won't be offended at all if you blow raspberries and tell me my ideas stink!)

I'd probably bite the bullet and pay extra but write several detailed and scathing reviews on places like Ravelry after talking with the company (if they didn't deal with the misleading amounts or miscommunication in sales in a responsible way). Not everyone has a small dress size and it needs to be reeeeaally clear what the yardage is and that the largest size enough enough to make the bulk of the largest pattern sizes!

Yeah. Am I reading right this was the Madeline Tosh sock yarn club? That is pricy and unprofessional of them. And this is if you're knitting to gauge, not ridiculous tight, right? Out of the box it's just too little?

No. It's their 3XL sweater club! And I'm finding the yarn amounts won't be enough for many of the L and XL sweaters I want to make. Wth? :.(

No. It's their 3XL sweater club! And I'm finding the yarn amounts won't be enough for many of the L and XL sweaters I want to make. Wth? :.(

That's absolutely bizarre. Was this obvious before even beginning knitting on the patterns in question? I'm still not clear if it is your personal gauge or just their flub. The former makes a little more sense and the latter is inexcusable.

Seeing if others in the club have extra to sell is brilliant, though!

That's absolutely bizarre. Was this obvious before even beginning knitting on the patterns in question? I'm still not clear if it is your personal gauge or just their flub. The former makes a little more sense and the latter is inexcusable.

Seeing if others in the club have extra to sell is brilliant, though!

This is not a kit.

You buy a yarn only subscription to get enough of one colorway to make a sweater. They don't tell you what sweater to make. You decide on any you want. The yardage is supposed to be enough that you can make most any sweater in that size range with it. Of course there might be some outliers, but mostly you should be good to go. But the yardage is ridiculously small. There are going to be very few 3XL patterns to be made with less than 2000 yards. Heck, most of the ones I want to do for a size L or XL take at least 1800 to 2200!

This is not a kit.

You buy a yarn only subscription to get enough of one colorway to make a sweater. They don't tell you what sweater to make. You decide on any you want. The yardage is supposed to be enough that you can make most any sweater in that size range with it. Of course there might be some outliers, but mostly you should be good to go. But the yardage is ridiculously small. There are going to be very few 3XL patterns to be made with less than 2000 yards. Heck, most of the ones I want to do for a size L or XL take at least 1800 to 2200!

:grouphug:

That is way low, especially for such a fine yarn. I think you're justified in being mad and I'd definitely take it public if they don't at least explain or clarify the website ordering info for the club so people know that 3xl club doesn't *really* mean what it says. Sheeeesh!

Good idea to check if there is a related forum on Ravelry. That is a thoughtful gift and how frustrating to be shorted on yarn like that. In your situation my first goal would be to try to honor the gift giver by working out a solution that protects them from feeling bad or being aware it was a big hassle. I am wondering when you contacted the company if you feel like you got far up the chain of command and if you feel like you got to a manager with real decision making authority. Ideally they should give you appropriate yardage. If not, while it won't entirely resolve the problem by giving you all the months you deserve, I am wondering if they may be able to honor the total financial value of the gift by giving you fewer months with more yarn. Or, if it might be an option to sell you the supplementary yarn at their cost rather than the sticker value.

• Like 1

Wow, that is such a weirdly transparent way for them to try to hose you! I wonder if they even have possible sweaters they can point you to that would be 3XL and come in under their allotment. I bet you are right, they will all be sleeveless, lacy, v-necks. Raspberries to them.

Weirdly transparent hosing. Yep. Exactly what it feels like.

I wonder if by the end of the subscription a lot more people are going to complain. I hope so. It makes no sense to bother having a sweater subscription if many subscribers still have to order individual skeins.

So far only myself and one other did, though 3-4 said they agreed and PMd their frustrations too. I don't know if the others canceled, sucked it up, or plan to just buy more skeins when the club closes. The one other vocal commenter canceled her order bc she did need to make sizes XXXL and was very upset at having to spend more money to get enough skeins. :(

As for me. I deleted my comment on the mad tosh group bc I got the impression they didn't care and thought it was silly and inconvenient to be upset by this bc we should just buy more skeins if we need them after the club closes.

I'm not going to cancel bc I think I will just use the yarn to make something lovely but probably not the big Aran cabled sweaters I was hoping for and I don't want to ruin the gift for dh.