Menu

Self-employment tax receipts - I'm drowning! Help!

1bassoon

Help Hive!

So, I run a few small businesses, but my main one has about a gazillion receipts for supplies. (I run summer camps)

I feel like every tax season I'm swimming in receipts! I'm really decent at "organizing" them, but it's so 1990s. I take the paper receipt, enter it into my spreadsheet, and put a check mark if it's entered. Then I stuff all the receipts in a folder. It's just such a MESS to keep them all!

Anyone got a good, painless, FREE way to manage these receipts for 2016? Or do I just keep on partying like it's 1999. . . . . .

HELP!

OK, that's what I'm going for:

Anyone got recommendations?

How safe/secure is it?

We don't have many receipts, but have used JotNotPro for years. There may be something new and exciting out now.

It's as safe and secure as anything else on your phone. You'll want to back it up somewhere. Cloud storage or wherever. JotNot works on your phone and requires no data or wifi. It changes a photo to a PDF. The document doesn't go anywhere.

• Like 1

Does the IRS accepts scanned recipes as proof if you're audited? Confirming this has been one of the things keeping me from getting a scanner.

Yes, and this article makes a good point. The newer receipts especially seem prone to fading. I have some in my purse that are less than a year old and totally illegible. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/General-Tax-Tips/Keeping-Good-Tax-Records/INF17884.html

• Like 1

Yes, and this article makes a good point. The newer receipts especially seem prone to fading. I have some in my purse that are less than a year old and totally illegible. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/General-Tax-Tips/Keeping-Good-Tax-Records/INF17884.html

I just realized I asked about scanned recipes instead of scanned receipts!

Thanks for the answer. I agree these heat-printed recipes fade rather quickly.

We use an expanding file like this: http://www.amazon.com/Globe-Weis-Expanding-Monthly-Pockets-R117MLHD/dp/B003HKN2LO

I put each month's receipts, utility and other bills (that are write offs), and bank statement in the correct folder. At the end of the year, we pack it in the attic for the necessary 7 years.   :)

ETA: Our receipt amounts and Quick Books category (handwritten on statement, but also in QB) are also on the bank statement, so I'm not too worried about fading.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain