Menu

Northern California Family Vacation Ideas

SeaConquest

My sister lives in Cotati -- near Santa Rosa -- in Northern California. My mother wants to try to plan a family vacation this summer for all of us (my family, my sister's family, and our parents) -- preferably, renting a large house somewhere not too far from where my sister lives. She mentioned wine country and the Russian River.

I am a So Cal girl, and know little about things to do in this area of Northern California. If you were to plan a family vacation for two families with young kids (ages almost 3 to 7), where would you go? What things would you recommend that we do?

If it were up to me, I would just hit up wineries and Yountville's finest restaurants all day, but I don't think that is exactly what my mom has in mind with kids. ;)

Any suggestions from the Hive?

• Like 1

Rent a beach house at Shelter Cove, Mendocino, or Ft Bragg? Lots of exploring to do on beaches or trails, even if the water isn't warm enough to swim. I've actually done this, two families, kids aged baby to toddler to 11.

Or something near Mt Shasta/redwoods?

Almost 3 is tough, since they are too old to really be strapped on or in something all the time and too young to really do any kind of fun family stuff like hikes that require safety and stamina.

Rent a beach house at Shelter Cove, Mendocino, or Ft Bragg? Lots of exploring to do on beaches or trails, even if the water isn't warm enough to swim. I've actually done this, two families, kids aged baby to toddler to 11.

Almost 3 is tough, since they are too old to really be strapped on or in something all the time and too young to really do any kind of fun family stuff like hikes that require safety and stamina.

Lol! You haven't met my 2 year old. He could never be strapped into anything and loves to hike for miles and miles!

I appreciate all the ideas. Keep them coming!

What do you all think about renting a beach house near Point Reyes or Bodega Bay?

• Like 1

There are 5-6 hours between the Eureka area redwoods (which would be closest to Mt Shasta) and Mt Shasta. And about 5-6 hours (in a different direction) between Mt Shasta and Santa Rosa. There is Northern CA and then there is NORTHERN CA ;)

OP, I'd look in the Fort Bragg/Willits area. But do know the beaches in that area are rocky and cold. This won't be a sunbathing type beach outing :D. There are redwoods down that way too. Monterey might be another good option. The aquarium is really nice and worth the drive, and the neighboring city of Carmel is really cute and has a nice beach.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

There are 5-6 hours between the Eureka area redwoods (which would be closest to Mt Shasta) and Mt Shasta. And about 5-6 hours (in a different direction) between Mt Shasta and Santa Rosa. There is Northern CA and then there is NORTHERN CA ;)

OP, I'd look in the Fort Bragg/Willits area. But do know the beaches in that area are rocky and cold. This won't be a sunbathing type beach outing :D. There are redwoods down that way too. Monterey might be another good option. The aquarium is really nice and worth the drive, and the neighboring city of Carmel is really cute and has a nice beach.

We used to live in the east bay, so when someone mentions going to northern California for a vacation, I tend to think NORTHERN. Our family did trips to all those places, and the vacation I mentioned to Shelter Cove is one we've taken since we now live near the central coast. Monterey is a good option, but somewhat expensive.

But yeah, I guess it all depends on what one means by Northern California. :)

• Like 1

Ride the Skunk Train in Willits. Head to Fort Bragg and Mendocino. You won't regret it! There's some nice hot springs near Ukiah (Orr hotsprings!). While in Ukiah, go to the Coffee Critic coffee house and The Mutt Hut for tasty fresh grub. Also go to Hopland and tour the Real Goods Solar Living Center. While in Hopland enjoy some delicious goodies at the Cheesecake Momma Bakery. I'm a Northern California girl who misses home! You can't not see the redwoods. Avenue of the Giants is always a treat. Lots of good camping in the parks there! Have fun and let us know what you plan.

• Like 1

There is tons to do in that area! Renting a house in Guernville area will probably be much less expensive than Bodega, but you'll still be close to the ocean.

A few ideas for various ages, interests, and abilities, all generally in your target area:

Armstrong Woods (redwoods--nice easy walking path for all abilities)

Bodega Head/ Jenner for dramatic coastline and big beach (not swimming)

Fort Ross--a Russian fur trading fort near Jenner

The old train depot in Jenner (I think) for the younger kids

Train Town in Sonoma if it's still there--kinda hoaky but really fun for the younger kids

NASCAR in Sonoma

Sonoma Mission

Jack London State Park in Glen Ellen (between Santa Rosa and Sonoma)--great hiking, ruins, museum

Anadel State Park--hiking, views of Sonoma Valley

Safari West in Calistoga

Geysers (I don't really recommend this though)

Snoopy Ice Arena in Santa Rosa

Luther Burbank Gardens in Santa Rosa

Point Reyes--hike the earthquake trail (you can see damage from the 1906 earthquake), lighthouse, possible whales

Muir Woods

Mt. Tam

Marin Headlands

Let me know if you have questions or want more ideas! Have fun! :)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

Lol! You haven't met my 2 year old. He could never be strapped into anything and loves to hike for miles and miles!

I appreciate all the ideas. Keep them coming!

What do you all think about renting a beach house near Point Reyes or Bodega Bay?

PR is awesome. There's the lighthouse and lots of hikes. Heart's Desire beach is fantastic for kids. The water is warmer and there are no waves. The shops in PR Station are super cute. Sun Farms has the best burgers you will ever eat.

I'd definitely pick Pt. Reyes over Bodega for a renting a house. With PR, you have the ocean beaches, and you have Tomales Bay, which is great for kayaking or sailing or other actual on-the-water activites.  And as others have mentioned, there are lots of farm/food/ tours within easy driving distance, and you aren't too far from Mt. Tam.  Kayaking on the Russian River is awesome, and hiking in the nearby Regional Parks, so a house rental on the RR could be really fun, too.

Safari West is great for up here, but you probably have wild animal parks where you live . . . 

As far as kid-friendly wineries, Coppola Winery in Geyserville has a pool. Your designated driver can be the designated kid-watcher, and everybody else can enjoy some wine and good food.  ;)

Or, if there are any Medieval castle-lovers in the group, there is always Castello di Amorosa in the Napa Valley.

• Like 1

Oh my. My hometown, well it was several years ago.

Sea Ranch or Bodega Bay for beach rentals. Oddly, Bodega Bay is more expensive than Sea Ranch and Sea Ranch is more beautiful - at least in my opinion.

Sea Ranch offers long trails for walking, a playground for little ones and 2 swimming pools and tennis courts. All size rentals in all kinds of locations available. Check out Ram's Head Realty and any others that may pop up.

If you guys like the deep woods, the Avenue of the Giants is in Garberville but this is a few hours north of Santa Rosa.

Then there is the Napa Wine Country. Beautiful in many areas but horribly overpriced IMHO.

Just reread your post about "not too far from where sister lives in Cotati." I would say Bodega Bay Rentals are pretty close. If you get together soon, it's still off season. Maybe even they have a reduced price during the winter months.

If you don't care to be near the ocean / beach, there is historic Healdsburg. They probably still have rentals. They used to rent Victorian homes out. Healdsburg is sort of on the edge of the Sonoma Wine Country.

Edited by Liz CA