Menu

Books for 5 year old

3girls4me

Hi ladies

My 5 year old is reading super well and really wants chapter books like her older sisters. She is so young so I want appropriate content but she is past things like Amelia Bedelia and Fancy Nancy!

Any suggestions for sweet chapter books that would be good for her? She found some old pony pals books and is working through them but I would rather her have better quality books!

Thanks!

Well, with the caveat that I'm mostly fine with her reading total crap that she enjoys, here's what my 5yo daughter has read lately, they're all series:

Ivy and Bean

Heidi Heckelbeck

Princess in Black

American Girl

Cam Jansen

Katie Kazoo Switcheroo

Anna Hibiscus (this is awesome)

• Like 1

To Jackie's list, I'd add

Keena Ford

The Stories Julian Tells

Ling and Ting

Bink and Gollie

Nikki and Deja

Ruby Lu

Zapato Power

Lulu and the Duck

Get Ready for Gabi

Calvin Coconut

Milo and Jazz

Clubhouse Mysteries

Simply Sarah

Babymouse (omg Babymouse!)

Rapunzel's Revenge

These are also all series, and you'll have to find the individual titles.

But you know, I'd really encourage her to stick with picture books. Picture books will generally be written at her age level, but with a much higher reading level than she can get from chapter books suitable for five year olds. The assumption, after all, is that an adult will read them to her.

• Like 1

Oh, my daughter loved The Stories Julian Tells! I know there are sequels, and I should look them up.

Tanaqui - tell me about your "omg Babymouse!" I've seen the book at the library and/or B&N, but haven't picked it up. Should I be loving all over it?

And a giant yes to picture books. DD went through a rough period where she outgrew the "young" ones and hadn't quite been able to grasp the "older" ones, but we're now enjoying lots of picture books with complex issues.

Look for stepping stone books...Dd finished Winter Pony after Christmas and I just ordered Summer Pony, but there are all kinds of stories.  If she is into Frozen dd has also really liked these, there are actually 6 books http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Elsa-Books-Disney-Frozen/dp/0736434593/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454496512&sr=1-6&keywords=frozen

Little house on the prairie books

Black stallion

Guest sweetgum

We struggled with this too - something that comes after leveled readers but didn't have too many words on the page.  Scholastic Branches makes great first chapter books that have a lot of pictures on every page.  We also like the Wrenly series, it has a large font. 

We only stayed at this level for about half a year to build confidence and then moved on to real chapter books with little to no pictures.  My kids liked Fancy Nancy too, and then moved to Nancy Clancy, but you will need something in between those levels. 

Enid Blyton writes sweet stories (I remember them from my childhood!) but it's hard to find her books in the US. 

Here are some quality beginning chapter books:

Tornado

Little House chapter books (or actual series if she's ready)

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

The Courage of Sarah Noble

My Father's Dragon trilogy

The Boxcar Children book 1

Stone Fox

Dolphin Adventure

Hannah 

Pioneer Cat

The Littles

The Storm series

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm

Sarah, Plain and Tall 

When my girls were that age, Babymouse was like crack. They adored those books, pored over them again and again, and continued reading them long after they'd outgrown other books around that reading level.

And I liked them too! They're really cute and clever books.

Black stallion

For a five year old who's reading Pony Pals? Isn't that a massive jump in difficulty?

My boys read & liked Wizard of Oz at six. (It's not nearly as scary as the movie. I had it on the shelf for later, but they found it, read it, and didn't have the nightmares I thought they would.

Swiss Family Robinson or Voyages of Dr. Dolittle might be other possibilities.  Or the first couple of Little House on the Prairie books.

We really like the "Illustrated Junior Library" editions. They are unabridged, so not dumbed down like the "Great Illustrated Classics."  But they have three or four full color illustrations and several black and white illustrations scattered throughout the book. They're hard cover, with nice illustrations on the cover, and the paper is better quality than some editions.

Swiss Family would be far too difficult. DD11 is reading it as part of Ambleside Year 6 selections... Ambleside is a great resource for advanced lit that is appropriate maturity wise. If you are looking for classics, there would be many to read before Swiss Family. As mentioned above, The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, The Princess and the Goblin, etc...

Also, The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle is more difficult than The Story of Dr. Dolittle. The Story of Dr. Dolittle would be a great choice though, as it's an easier chapter book that still well-written.

book series - gr. 1-2 level

Ivy and Bean series (Barrows)

Daisy Dawson series (Voake)

Lighthouse Family series (Rylant)

Amanda Pig series / Oliver Pig series (Van Leeuwun)

Catwings series (Le Guin)

Billy and Blaze series (Anderson)

Cam Jensen series (Adler)

Flat Stanley series (Brown)

Anna Hibiscus series (Atinuke)

individual titles - gr. 1-2 level

A Grain of Rice (Pittman)

Phoebe the Spy 9griffin)

The Secret Valley (Bulla)

Hannah (Whelan)

Pioneer Cat (Hooks)

Helen Keller (Davidson)

Five True Dog Stories; Seven True Horse Stories; Nine True Dolphin Stories (Davidson)

The Light at Tern Rock (Sauer)

The Best-Loved Doll (Caudill)

Squirrel's Birthday and Other Parties (Tellegen)

Mouse Tales (Lobel)

Three Little Witches; Three Little Pirates (Adams)

3rd grade level

Clementine (Pennypacker)

Chester Cricket series (Selden)

Pippi Longstockings series (Astrid)

Twig (Jones)

Big Susan (Jones)

No Flying in the House (Brock)

The Witch Family (Estes)

The Saturdays (Enright)

Little House in the Big Woods (Wilder)

Grandma's Attic series (Richardson)

There are some lovely suggestions in this thread, but many are for a grade 5 reading level and up, both in ability but also subject matter/interest level… Perhaps try some of those as read-alouds! :)

• Like 1

Just adding Betsy-Tacy and Paddington Bear. It's hard for me to tell what reading level you're talking about.

Scholastic Book Wizard suggests that Pony Pals books are at about a third grade reading level. For various reasons I try not to take reading leveling systems too seriously (for one thing, they tend to disagree with each other in weirdly inconsistent ways), but they're not a terrible place to start.

Sorry for the delay in responding. We've had family in town. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Lots of these are great options!! She has been reading some Mr. Putter and Tabby and Henry and Mudge this week. They are a little easy but she is enjoying them. She also picked out some of Cynthia Rylant's books. I'm going to work through lots of these suggestions. Some are a bit too hard for her, but I have 2 older girls that might enjoy them.

Thanks so much for all do your suggestions!!

Edited by Pdriskell

"Swiss Family would be far too difficult. DD11 is reading it as part of Ambleside Year 6 selections... Ambleside is a great resource for advanced lit that is appropriate maturity wise."

Are you saying that Ambleside 2nd grade, for instance, would have advanced books in terms of reading level but content ok for a 2nd grader? I've never used their lists.

Edited by Pdriskell

It sounds like she's probably at around the Branches level that someone suggested above, which are meant for kids moving from Easy Readers like Mr. Putter and Tabby into chapter books. My DD especially loved the Franny K. Stein, Dragon Masters and Looniverse series, all Branches books. The Wrenly series is also fantastic for this level, as are the My Father's Dragon and Catwings series.

I don't think anyone mentioned Magic Treehouse...Personally I hated them, but they're great easy, high-interest chapter books.

On 2/6/2016 at 5:10 AM, Pdriskell said:

Are you saying that Ambleside 2nd grade, for instance, would have advanced books in terms of reading level but content ok for a 2nd grader?

Yes, this.

When you compare where Ambleside and other curricula place the same books, Ambleside places  many of their books in a younger grade whereas other programs use the same books 2-4 grades later due to reading level, but also due to subject interest level.

Ambleside uses all older books (over half of the titles were written over 50-60 years ago), and many classics. So while the content does not include adult subjects, often the interest level of the books are above a younger reader's head, and the older vocabulary and sentence structure might not click for a younger reader. I do love the Ambleside book lists, but I use their lists just for ideas of titles, and do not rely on their suggested grade levels.

For example, below is the Free Reading list for 2nd grade. The last two sections look to be on grade-level, but quite a few of the books in the first section are titles that would be better as a read-aloud, or wait until about grade 5-6 to use as a solo-read. JMO. ?

That is tough having a student who has the ability to read far their emotional age or maturity level, so many of the books that might be at the student's reading level may still be better to wait on until the student grows up a bit and is a better fit age-wise emotionally and experience-wise. Good luck as you sort through all the booklists in finding what is a good fit for DD! Warmest regards, Lori D.

AMBLESIDE - YEAR 2

Additional Books for Free Reading
Heidi (Spryi)
Wonder Book (Hawthorne)
Tanglewood Tales (Hawthorne)
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (Sidney)
Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales
Pied Piper of Hamelin (Browning)
Abraham Lincoln (D'Aulaire)
Five Children and It (Nesbit)
Little House on the Prairie (Wilder)
Doctor Dolittle (Lofting)
Mary Poppins (Travers)
Brighty of the Grand Canyon (Henry)
Mr. Popper's Penguins (Atwater)
Otto of the Silver Hand (Pyle)
Chanticleer and the Fox (Cooney)
Along Came A Dog (De Jong)
The Door in the Wall (De Angeli)

If your year one-two children need some additional reading practice, we suggest choosing three or four books from the following:
Millicent Selsam's easy readers
The Boxcar Children (just the first one) (Warner)
A Lion to Guard Us (and others) (Bulla)
Frog and Toad books (Lobel)
A Toad for Tuesday (Erickson)

If you would like some easier, but still excellent, living books, for a year 2/3 student to read independently for free reading, consider:
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain (Dalgliesh)
The Hundred Dresses (Estes)
Betsy-Tacy books (Lovelace)
Billy and Blaze books (Anderson)
Impunity Jane (Godden)
Holly and Ivy (Godden)
Fairchild Family series (Happy Little Family) (Caudill)
The Enormous Egg (Butterworth)

If you like looking through booklists for ideas, here are more for you:

Reading Lists of Good Books from Curriculum Vendors (by age range or grade level)
Five in a Row
Heart of Dakota
Sonlight
Ambleside Onside
Veritas Press
Tapestry of Grace
Truth Quest
My Father's World
Biblioplan
Beautiful Feet
Center for Lit
Classical Christian Homeschooling Catalog

Reading List Websites  (by age range or grade level)
The Great Books Academy - classics, by grade level
1000 Good books - good books, by age range
A Book in Time - historical fiction / non-fiction, by age range
Book Girl (K-8) - historical fiction, by grade level
Tanglewood School (K-8) - good books, by grade level (access by Internet Wayback Machine)
Home's Cool - SL books in WTM 4-year cycle, by grammar/logic/rhetoric stage
Charlotte Mason Home Education: Twaddle Free Literature - good books, by grade level
Charlotte Mason Help: Books and Schedules - good books, by grade level
An Old Fashioned Education: Classic Literature - classics, by grade level
Penny Gardener's Readable Science - list by science topic

Book Resources 
Honey for a Child's Heart
Books Children Love

Edited by Lori D.