Menu

Evolution of language: "hippie"

I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone thinking Bob Dylan = bad music.😧

Well, his voice is downright awful (and yes, I'm old enough to remember him not just "know about him"). His music and lyrics were wonderful though. He writes (or used to) beautiful poetry and makes beautiful music. He just can't sing. :)

As for the answer - at this time in history I see it as neutral/descriptive. 

• Like 2

I think now-a-days the term people used to define themselves as "hippie" is 'granola' or 'crunchy.'

To me, "crunchy" is the positive or neutral term while "hippie" is the derogatory term.

"Crunchy" has all the natural living associations without the negative '60's era "free love", drug-abusing, etc. associations of "hippie".

• Like 4

To me, "crunchy" is the positive or neutral term while "hippie" is the derogatory term.

"Crunchy" has all the natural living associations without the negative '60's era "free love", drug-abusing, etc. associations of "hippie".

Yes, this. Exactly what I was trying to say, but you made it much clearer.

I was wondering if y'all could help me clear up a disagreement with my 24 year old son.

Do you think of the term "hippie" as derogatory or neutral when used by somebody under the age of 40?

TIA

I am 38. Mildly derogatory, but in a playful way. "Come on, ya hippies, let's get something done here!" Along the line of "nerd". Sort of negative but it has its own following. :)

I associate the term "crunchy" on the other hand, with something much more negative, like, uptight, halfway between straight-edge and mildly health-o-rexic. Like can. not. eat. a. flipping. hot. dog. Just can't do it. Can't deal. Has an asthma or panic attack when she realizes that her mom put disposable diapers with PARABENS!!!! on her baby. Etc. Doesn't vaccinate, doesn't circumcise, and generally has an entire identity constructed out of opting out of the mainstream. This person will assume that if you choose not to grow a beard or your underarm hair, you also eat meat. But not like, venison that your family shot during a cull, no, that no underarm hair is clearly associated with factory farming because it's all about this one "crunchy" lifestyle and you are in or you are out. That type of thing.

Whereas a hippie is just like, be yourself, go with the flow, take it easy, live your life and no judgment, man. My parents were hippies. Though... free love and drugs don't have a negative connotation for me, either, heh. If it weren't for free love and drugs I wouldn't be here!

As for Bob Dylan, whether or not you like his voice, he is without question one of the most influential songwriters of the 20th century. He's amazing. His creativity was a driving force in the persistence of American folk music in the mainstream.  I don't see how this is even debatable. Hate him or love him on a personal level, he is not "bad music". I am not a huge fan of Boccherini. I cannot question his importance and talent in classical music. Same with Dylan.

He wrote All Along the Watchtower, for crying out loud. That song is just epic. I don't even like Dylan's rendition of it but the song itself, sung by Hendrix or Young is without parallel.

Edited by Tsuga

I remember growing up, my mom would say "No!! We weren't hippies!! We were clean, you were clean. I took good care of you!!"

Haha! My dad was a long hair, they've seen everyone play. But they weren't hippies. :)

The people I think of as hippy hippies were more funky. In a slightly more messed up way. Like the documentary Sean. There were levels. Even as kids, we were aware of it. 

We're old punks. I get the whole "dirty hippies thing." But now I see how much they belong together. Lots of punks came out of that scene. Lots of us will mesh the two worlds together in our older age I'm sure. 

I would never trade being a kid of more or less hippies. That time, and that group of people made so many mistakes. In many ways they were totally full of sh*t. But it was so much fun! 

• Like 1

think of 1960's hippies as sort of the privileged class, while many others were working and didn't have time for that.

Oh no, plenty of them had no privilege, they just ended up dirt poor like my parents and godparents, LOL! How funny. I am aware of the trust fund hippies, yes, but to me that's a trust fund thing (they have always loved to slum with the artists, oh they want to live like common people don't they). It's not a hippie thing and doesn't taint the genuine social and artistic movements that happened.

Eddie Vedder amongst the grunge, for example. Boy comes up from California, changes his name, grows his hair long. Does that mean that grunge is about California and privilege? No. For better or for worse, grunge still seems to be to me kids from the hills coming to Seattle and realizing they can't just rent a room somewhere and find cheap pot or get into the over 21 clubs, so standing around with too much eyeliner, bad dye jobs, and many scruffy coats and ugly boots from the Goodwill and very limited guitar talent because (a) they didn't have lessons and (b) they are high and (c ) it is hard to play the guitar when your hands are cold and you are high and/or drunk. Eddie Vedder and the Offspring can't really take that away from us, hah!

I am 38. Mildly derogatory, but in a playful way. "Come on, ya hippies, let's get something done here!" Along the line of "nerd". Sort of negative but it has its own following. :)

I associate the term "crunchy" on the other hand, with something much more negative, like, uptight, halfway between straight-edge and mildly health-o-rexic. Like can. not. eat. a. flipping. hot. dog. Just can't do it. Can't deal. Has an asthma or panic attack when she realizes that her mom put disposable diapers with PARABENS!!!! on her baby. Etc. Doesn't vaccinate, doesn't circumcise, and generally has an entire identity constructed out of opting out of the mainstream. This person will assume that if you choose not to grow a beard or your underarm hair, you also eat meat. But not like, venison that your family shot during a cull, no, that no underarm hair is clearly associated with factory farming because it's all about this one "crunchy" lifestyle and you are in or you are out. That type of thing.

Whereas a hippie is just like, be yourself, go with the flow, take it easy, live your life and no judgment, man. My parents were hippies. Though... free love and drugs don't have a negative connotation for me, either, heh. If it weren't for free love and drugs I wouldn't be here!

I just turned 39 but I suspect that I have very different political and religious views than you because I don't see being "straight edge" as a negative thing but I do view promiscuity and substance use very negatively. You'd probably consider me "uptight" and "judgmental" for that reason. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

Neutral/descriptive, unless followed with 'dippy' which turns it into an insult.

When this old lady hears hippy-dippy her mind immediately goes to George Carlin and Al Sleet, your hippy-dippy weatherman. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2yIOM-R-w

As for Bob Dylan, whether or not you like his voice, he is without question one of the most influential songwriters of the 20th century. He's amazing. His creativity was a driving force in the persistence of American folk music in the mainstream.  I don't see how this is even debatable. Hate him or love him on a personal level, he is not "bad music".

Totally agree.   Bad voice â‰  Bad music

Around here it is more neutral, and is used more to describe someone's philosophy.  It would be a person that is into more natural, holistic, and alternative practices (medicine, food, clothing, etc).  Some people may use the term in a belittling way because they think people who chose to live natural/holistic/alternatively are less intelligent, but the majority use it purely descriptively.

I think it's that IEF's Alex P. Keaton-like DS heard her refer to someone/people/her ex as a hippie and suggested that she was being offensive by using the term (because it's negative to him), whereas it's a term she thinks of with fondness. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway!

I suspect that is true of several of the posters here that said it was negative.  

I think it is a descriptive term and when the definition of the term is seen as a bad thing to the hearer, then it will be seen as an insult.