Menu

Quick Question: What type of swim cap should I get ds.

Our kids' swim teams offer latex or silicone. Latex are cheap ($4) and silicone are more expensive ($13) but it seems the silicone are more popular.

At our house we have latex allergy/sensitivity so we always choose silicone.

My two little kids are using lycra right now because the silicone ones haven't come in for their team (and dd8 has sensory processing issues so even getting her to wear a cap is a big step...and someone told me that some kids wear lycra under silicone so we may try that before her first meet). The lycra ones are "slow" though...if you need speed in the water don't choose lycra!

Since you do so much swimming, try one of each. We've used both, but my dd's (18, 16, 13) prefer latex. For some reason, the silicone caps slide off their heads and latex has better grip. Even though the latex caps rip pretty frequently, they're cheap. Our swim shop even sells caps with printing mistakes (team logos/names) for about $2.00 each.

Lycra caps hold hair in place, but if your ds is looking to "protect" his hair they don't do that. Hair gets wet under lycra just like skin gets wet under the swim suit. My dd used lycra when she was little because it pulled hair the least.

Latex is the worst for pulling hair.

Silicon is in between lycra and latex on the scale of hair pulling. However, silicon will last forever and lycra will stretch out. dd was extremely sensitive to hair pulls so lycra was the way we had to go.

Most boys aren't into the hair care aspect. However, if you ds is he should get his hair wet with tap water before putting on the silicon cap. Although I don't do this some people put conditioner on too before putting on the cap. This seals out chlorinated water. I'm a lap swimmer. My hair is in good shape without the conditioner step.