Menu

Alaska gals, did you feel the quake?

Seasider

It actually got me out of bed which is unheard of for an earthquake. I was heading upstairs to be with the kids in case it got worse but then it died down.

I only remember the Denali quake in 2002 of 7.9 being worse since I wasn't alive for the 1964 quake. The funny thing was I was living in Seattle the year before for the Nisqually quake. They were following me. :) I'm happy to report no damage here though. Sorry to hear of gas leaks and fires a little farther south in Kenai.

I'm here :)

I was awake and surfing the web when it hit, we had some jars fall and break, a rocking chandelier, and a few of my fish tanks sloshed, but it wasn't too bad. We were surprised when we checked USGS and they said it was a 6.5 initially, the revising of the magnitude made more sense this morning.

My husband's mom was here when the 64' quake hit and this was still peanuts compared to that, but it was still quite a long shake and I'm glad there was no real damage done to our home except exploded salsa all over our garage. Whew!

Thanks for think of me :grouphug:

It was a hard shaker, but no serious damage in the Anchorage area. Friends a bit farther south and closer reported more damage but nothing too serious other than the gas line break and cracks in the highway.

Certainly woke up the dogs here. The cat just stayed in his dog bed (yes, he steals the dogs' beds to annoy them). Only problem here was that we missed church when I overslept after being up in the middle of the night.

Arctic Mama is in the same area I am, so she should be fine.

• Like 2

Right around 1:30 am

Thanks, I didn't realize it was that middle of the night, I was thinking closer to 4am. Sorry about your salsa.

Glad to know you are okay! Did it wake the kids? As a child, the house two doors down burned down in a 3-alarm fire. I slept through the whole thing.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was that middle of the night, I was thinking closer to 4am. Sorry about your salsa.

Glad to know you are okay! Did it wake the kids? As a child, the house two doors down burned down in a 3-alarm fire. I slept through the whole thing.

They didn't even stir. Not only do they sleep like the dead but they all sleep together in bunk beds, so movement and noise is something expected from bunk mates and they just tune it all out. It's amazing what kids sleep through!

It didn't feel that bad to me, but I think it was half over by the time I woke up. ;-) We were away from home, staying in a hotel in Homer that is surrounded by water on three sides, so I WAS a bit concerned about tsunami. A few people actually left the hotel, but we stayed put.

Also, I was reminded that it is a terrible idea to go to bed in earthquake country without adequate clothing. Came way too close to being the woman in the hotel parking lot wrapped in a bedspread ;-)

• Like 2