Menu

A question for HSers in TN

So DH got offered a job in the Nashville area, we are super excited! He'll be going down in February but the kids and I won't be going until at least March or April or even May.... so do I have to register with a HSing umbrella right away?  I've looked for what state law says and I'm having trouble finding the info.  I really don't want to, one I'd be paying a full years fees for 2 months :glare: . Also I want to have DS tested to get a better idea of skill level before we commit to a grade level which TN requires you to do. 

The idea is that we would be done for the year which would be fine in our current state.  We'd start back to school for the 2016-17 year when the umbrella starts their new school calendar/year.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

That's what I've heard recommended. Finish the "year" before you move on paper, and then register with whatever program you choose (either the district or a cover program. I use HomeLife Academy because everything can be done online, and I don't have a lot of confidence in my local school district not to mess up DD's records). Just send in whatever records you have when you register. Also, HLA does registration discounts for the following year starting in November, so you could register for next year at any time, and have that taken care of.

Homeschool Testing Service (Classical Conversations) offers testing in quite a few cities in TN. There are probably others in the Nashville area, but since I live in Memphis, I don't know them.

• Like 4

Come to Music City!

The MTHEA page should have all offical info, but I would finish the year on paper and do TN paperwork for next school year.

We use an umbrella school because our school district is not homeschool friendly and I dislike giving any info or control to the government unless absolutely necessary. But I have friends who register with their district and have no troubles.

We are in SE Nashville and register with a classical school in Franklin.

Lots of homeschoolers here. :)

• Like 1

Agreeing what the others said, and putting another plug in for HomeLife.  We've used them the entire time and I have graduated one through them.  Very easy and uncomplicated.  Plus, their handling of transcripts sent to colleges has been a breeze.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

What exciting news!  Welcome to Nashville!

This website says that the state statutes do not include any information about time limits for homeschoolers moving in from out of state but cites a 1999 conversation with a state official saying that they need to regiister within 30 days.

http://tnhomeed.com/FAQ.html#7

And the official TN state website says nothing about your question:

http://tnhomeed.com/FAQ.html#7

That said, the last day of the year for Nashville public schools is May 25, and in your shoes I would do as other posters have suggested and just finish out the year before registering in TN for the 2016-17 school year.  

The overwhelming homeschoolers in TN register with cover schools, but just  FWIW we have been perfectly satisfied with our experience registering as independent homeschoolers with Metro Nashville Public Schools.  Our limited interactions with them have all been very professional and we are fine with the testing requirements.   

• Like 2

Thanks to all who answered.  We'll be SE of Nashville, possibly as far South as Murfreesboro.  I'm leaving it up to DH to find us a house :scared: but I'd prefer a College town and Nashville is too $$ and too far to drive to La Vergne.   I don't want to be required to do yearly testing so I'm thinking the Farm School, we're secular (or maybe H-L, no statement of faith), as a cover school.   I think we're going to skip registering this year and just call ourselves done for the year when we move. Big relief, one thing to not have to think about, I wish I could do the same with DN, my P.S. kid!

Thanks to all who answered.  We'll be SE of Nashville, possibly as far South as Murfreesboro.  I'm leaving it up to DH to find us a house :scared: but I'd prefer a College town and Nashville is too $$ and too far to drive to La Vergne.   I don't want to be required to do yearly testing so I'm thinking the Farm School, we're secular (or maybe H-L, no statement of faith), as a cover school.   I think we're going to skip registering this year and just call ourselves done for the year when we move. Big relief, one thing to not have to think about, I wish I could do the same with DN, my P.S. kid!

The Farm School looks awesome. :-) My only quibble with it would be that it only awards .33 credits for a dual-enrollment course at college.

Yeah, that is a bit confusing but it says, " 

• Students in a dual enrollment course at a community college or college earn .33 high school credits for every 1 college credit. "

I took that to mean that a 3 credit CC course would get you 3 times .33, so 1 H.S. credit.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy