Menu

How important is it to know "casting out nines"?

Kfamily

I would like to skip this lesson in R&S 6 but if it is important to know I will not. It seems like a lot of work for not much and they even warn that it will not be a reliable check of multiplying if errors are made with zero. Should we go ahead with this lesson or can I skip it?

Thanks for any advice.:001_smile:

I did search the board for any old information on this before posting but couldn't find anything.

Guest Dulcimeramy

We went over this last week!

I felt the same way. Taught it anyway; turned out to be the right decision. He "got it" better than I did and enjoyed the lesson. DH says it is good to know.

I was prepared to drop it if the lesson didn't really take. I can't imagine using it, myself.

My dds enjoyed learning this - they thought of it as a trick and they liked knowing a shortcut!

I can't say that either of them use it now that they're out of their teens - My older dd might since she's teaching jr. high!

I'd say teach it as a fun thing!

Anne

We cover it. It is a cool little trick to know. We go over the lesson. I have them use it in the next couple of lessons. After that, I leave it up to dc whether or not they use it. Most of the time, they decide against it. Ds seems to be fascinated with it however!

I would like to skip this lesson in R&S 6 but if it is important to know I will not. It seems like a lot of work for not much and they even warn that it will not be a reliable check of multiplying if errors are made with zero. Should we go ahead with this lesson or can I skip it?

Thanks for any advice.:001_smile:

I did search the board for any old information on this before posting but couldn't find anything.

Well, I finally learned it a few weeks ago with R&S 6, too, and I am glad! It's faster than having to reverse factors and check an answer that way. It offers an alternative to going back over the problem to check (which, because you've already done the problem once, might cause you to go over it unthinkingly). I figure it doesn't hurt to have a 3rd option for checking answers. Sure, there is that margin for error, but if you are fairly accurate most of the time (you know your math facts, you know the processes well), it's a nice, shorter method for checking.

As an aside, this skill does continue to be practiced in the review problems in R&S.

When my daughter first learned this in Abeka I told her it seemed silly so I brushed over it...somehow I took a closer look and realized it was worth a try. This was several years ago and I don't think she has ever handed in a math test since without casting out 9's on any computation problems because this way she can be sure that at least those problems are correct...increasing her chances of a higher test score. I'm now working with my son on this. He is resistent, but he also hates loosing points on tests because of one digit off in an answer. He takes his first test tomorrow, and I bet he will find a few errors when I make him cast out nines before passing it in. It sure beats the other methods of checking....and once you get the hang of it it is MUCH faster!

Hope this helps.

Jill