Menu

You know you're a bad homeschool mom when...

You stay up until 2 am and spend that time on the Internet, um, "researching curriculum." Then the next day, you're too tired to actually teach what you have on the shelf. :blushing:

HAHAHA!  This is the story of my life!!!  LOLOLOLOL!!!  

Shoot, my college sophomore has illegible handwriting! I tried, I really tried. 

I'm also a bad hs mommy for forgetting to teach my child the alphabet. Whoops--did that with the last three. 

I was a bad hs mommy this week when I realized that it was dinnertime and  I was still in my nightgown. Did it twice. Of course, I'd checked sheep and puppies and dealt with two sets of lamb twins those days. I really am not functioning with this 0200-0400 shift right now. And now we've added a starving puppy to that. Man, am I a mess today, but the good news is that we got the puppy to eat 4 tablespoons of formula. Very stinky puppy formula... 

As long as you remember to feed *the children*, you're probably doing ok.  :-)  

Also, my kids don't understand calendars, and only understand clocks in the math-workbook-page sort of way.  Practical skills will come over time, right...?

• Like 3

When you do more chores than normal, because you are nesting, it isn't a break week, and you kid asks, "So who is on their way over?"

My DH is worse- He will occasionally come home and say, "The house looks so clean!  Who did you have over?"  LOL.  Of course, he's usually right...  I don't like to waste my clean home on mere family!  

• Like 6

When you call off the remainder of school to work on puppy training, we were getting nothing done with him jumping up on my lap and table and nipping my toes. And after doing so the advice of " frequent but short lessons are more productive than long drawn out ones" popped into my head, um yeah, I completely ignored that advice. He was full of treats by the time I got done ;-), and he was much better behaved today :-).

Edited by ForeverFamily
  • Like 3

Also, my kids don't understand calendars

I keep having to ask my 5yo what day/date it is (he's quite reliable). He's probably learned that if he wants to know what day/date it is, he'd better fend for himself rather than rely on me. My mom taught me to draw by saying she couldn't draw so if I wanted a horse/train/etc drawn, I needed to do it myself, so it's a valid teaching method, right? It's like the Socratic method, minus you already knowing the answer...

• Like 6

When you call off the remainder of school to work on puppy training, we were getting nothing done with him jumping up on my lap and table and nipping my toes. And after doing so the advice of " frequent but short lessons are more productive than long drawn out ones" popped into my head, um yeah, I completely ignored that advice. He was full of treats by the time I got done ;-), and he was much better behaved today :-).

For only one day?

When we got a new puppy we had dog unit studies for several weeks as I recall.

Although a crate was also a great help.

• Like 4

For only one day?

We still have a long way to go. Who knew puppies are soooo much work?! It's amazing that anyone survives the puppy stage.

We have a baby gate set up as well as a crate. They are both very helpful, but that day I had already exhausted all my resources. The only thing I worked on was having him lie on the floor while we sat at the table. It helped that he was on a leash while working with him. He was more then happy to obey as long as I kept the treats coming. I am still working on it, but he is getting a lot better. I am sure we have plenty more puppy days in our future. ;-)

Edited by ForeverFamily
  • Like 1

For only one day?

We get the therapy puppy today that we will be raising for the next year. Life is going to change and I'm going to have to adjust!

I'd love any info about a dog unit study.

We get the therapy puppy today that we will be raising for the next year. Life is going to change and I'm going to have to adjust!

I'd love any info about a dog unit study.

We pulled it together using documentaries (there were a bunch of good ones), books, and the live dog (eta: actually more than one since Young Guy was joining Old Fido). Some was related to wolves and other canids.

Dog training, dog development, dog nutrition etc. whatever we could find via netflix and library, plus some that I bought. 

We also got a game (Ian Dunbar training method related?) but never actually used it. Possibly called Best in Show.

Greatly liked a doco the name of which I cannot recall on dogs that I think came from PBS. Liked Calming Signals.  There was a lot of good stuff and one thing would tend to lead to another on the shelf at library, showing up on Amazon or Netflix searches.

I remember something related to scientific research on microbes being different in dog homes than homes without dogs that was interesting. A magazine article on dogs as all related from tiny to giant, and another in Scientific American Mind magazine on something like ...  can't recall, just that it was interesting. A theory that humans and dogs co-evolved and that Homo Sapiens might owe its survival to dogs from a Stanley Coren book on dogs, I believe. A documentary that included things about foxes being bred for less aggression also started to look like flop eared dogs--the documentary was good in general and that might be a way to search it out.  Might have been from NOVA.

And then dog fiction.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I keep having to ask my 5yo what day/date it is (he's quite reliable). He's probably learned that if he wants to know what day/date it is, he'd better fend for himself rather than rely on me. My mom taught me to draw by saying she couldn't draw so if I wanted a horse/train/etc drawn, I needed to do it myself, so it's a valid teaching method, right? It's like the Socratic method, minus you already knowing the answer...

:lol: :lol: :lol: This one is going in my teacher planner, for those long days ahead in February....

"Hmm... let's see... what can I 'teach' them, sort of Socratically?" :rolleyes:

My father "taught" me to swim by repeatedly throwing me into the Atlantic Ocean. :scared: My mother "taught" me to cook by calling me from work and telling me to get supper ready.  :001_huh:

I once misread the recipe for Beef-Vegetable-Barley Stew. Instead of 1/2 cup of uncooked barley, I put in 2 cups. We ate Beef-Vegetable-Barley Casserole for a while.

When my nephew was two years old, he would regularly tell my directionally-challenged sister as she was driving, "Mommy, you missed your turn" or "Remember to turn left after the rowboat." She couldn't get anywhere without him. ;)

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 2