Menu

What age for independent bathing?

Granny_Weatherwax

This is exactly why I think some parents want their children to be adults at a young age. If they don't want the responsibility of children, they shouldn't have children.

Ugh? Not really understanding where you are coming from here.......

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have so much information about elder care sloshing around in my brain and my parents are having a bad week. I read the title and thought that "they are largely able to do with this themselves until around age 82, when more assistance is needed up until the time bed baths become the norm. My father is 85 and we are having to help more and more often. 

But, that's the flip side of what the OP wanted to discuss.

Edited because I posted late at night when I was apparently incoherent.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3

There isn't a convenient place to hang towels in our bathroom near the shower so I'm finding that I still usually have to help ds if for no other reason than to hang a towel up for him over the shower bar or adjust the temp for him. He is not good at throwing the towel up there himself and the temp is sorta a pain to get right. At least he is pretty compliant about showering.

Regarding the hot water, we have always kept it at 120 or below. That is a basic safety issue in our home, aside from kids bathing alone. They definitely wash their hands alone!

But what about bacteria?

"The American Society of Sanitary Engineering recommends setting the temperature of home water heaters to 135 degrees to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, a range shown to destroy bacteria such as Legionella."

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/turning-water-heater-up-kill-bacteria-54596.html

You can buy faucets btw that limit the amount of hot water that gets mixed in with the cold water. Or, you can teach the kids to get out of the tub ASAP when it gets too hot and wait for your help to get the water temperature down. Or both.

• Like 1