Menu

Looking for an audio book suggestion

redsquirrel

I have an unexpected car trip this week and need an audio book.  I will be in the back seat, traveling with my mother and her husband. He prefers right wing talk radio...so, in order to keep my sanity, I am bringing along an audio book and a knitting project.

It seems to be a 7-8 hour drive each way. 

I just happened to borrow Sarah Vowel's "Assassination Vacation" from the library. I rarely listen to audio books, but this looked ideal for me. I love Sarah Vowel, I love humorous, I love fun but educational. Plus each chapter is read by a different person, so I will stay engaged.  I feel like I sometimes have trouble focusing on audio books and miss important things.  I am a better reader of books than listener, I guess?  I feel like my attention can wander a bit at times. Not good with a complicated plot....but sometimes I am totally hooked and I can get really into them. So obviously, it depends on the book.

So, I have one way there covered. The book I have is just over 7 hours.

All the other books I am looking at are so much longer, like 32 hours, lol.  Well, it was a Dickens books, so what was I expecting? 

Anyone know of a less than 10 hour audio books that they really enjoyed? I like history, biography, lit, essays, short stories, fiction, non-fiction, science fiction and fantasy, classics. It can be young adult if you think it is engaging and worth checking out.

I am not a fan of 'chick lit' but can be convinced to change my mind if the writing is engaging. I am also not a fan of the current 'romance novel' type book, but I don't mind romance or a love story, if that makes sense.

I am getting it out of the library, so it might take some searching before I find something that isn't checked out, but the selection is HUGE.  I am a member of the NY city public library and their audio book game is strong.

I don't know the exact length, but The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiller was fairly short but fun as an audio book.  ETA, I just realized that YOU are in the back seat.  Doh!  

Maybe one of the books from The Cat Who series?

Edited by Plink

I think Neil Gaiman is a great suggestion.  I loved listening to A Tale for Time Beings, by Ruth Ozeki, but I think it's longer than 8 hrs.  A collection of short stories would be good. I liked Trigger Warnings, but also good was Vampires in the Lemon Grove, by Karen Russell.  Maybe Neil Gaiman's (and Terry Pratchett) Good Omens.  I think it was on the shorter side.  His Graveyard book is shorter as well since it's for kids, but it's still a great book to listen to.

Hope you find something fun! Enjoy.

• Like 1

Maybe Neil Gaiman's (and Terry Pratchett) Good Omens.  I think it was on the shorter side.  His Graveyard book is shorter as well since it's for kids, but it's still a great book to listen to.

Hope you find something fun! Enjoy.

I liked both of those audiobooks too. I decided I will never read a Neil Gaiman book again if it's possible for him to read it to me instead. 

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.

I've...I've read almost all of them though  :blushing:

I do agree that Gaiman is the BEST reader around.  I haven't read Trigger Warnings yet, I might get lucky and will try to find that one.  I think I can recite The Graveyard book, lol.  If you like him be sure to check out his Odd and the Frost Giants, also a great audio book. That is a family favorite.

And The Martian is SUCH a good book! I loved it. DH read it to ds2, with an appropriate amount of on the fly editing of course, and it was a huge hit.  If I hadn't just read it last month I would be all over it as an audio book.

I will see if they have the Cat Who series and Vampires in the Lemon Grove.

This is going to be a looong trip.

A long drive to Michigan for a Funeral for my mom's brother, who is not someone I liked at all. He was a bit too aggressive with his faith, very judgmental, and it was easier to just not deal with him. But, I am going for my mom. So, many hours while her husband drives and listens to talk radio and then lots of family I don't know well and I am sure regards me as a freak.  But, we're Irish, so there will be booze.

• Like 3

If you like fantasy, I've enjoyed Jim Butcher audio books. His Fury series is my favorite. The Furies of Calderon is the first book in the series. I love Robin Hobb audiobooks as well, but I think they are quite a bit longer than your limit. Her assassin series (Assassin's Apprentice is the first) is the best starting place. I keep an audiobook going at all times and I get them all through the library. I listen to YA and adult books, but mostly fantasy. If you are interested in those, let me know and I can look back through my listening history and give more recommendations. I rarely notice length though.

One YA suggestion, dd and I both just listened to 13 Reasons. It was fairly short and we both liked it. It is not a happy book though.

I'm listening to All The Light We Cannot See. It's longer than ten hours, though.

It's funny what you said about finding it harder to listen to books than read them; that is true for me, too. My DS would rather listen to a book, hands down, but I miss details more easily in audiobook than if I'm reading visually.

I also have Career of Evil on audible, but I haven't listened to it yet. I like the Corman Strike novels so far, but this is my first on audio.

I love fortunately the milk! We listen to it on every road trip. 

So, I started searching using the suggestions here, and I ended up with a book that I wanted to read, but had forgotten about. So, I will be listening to Caitlin Moran's book "How To Build a Girl".  It's written by Louise Brealy...Molly Hooper from Sherlock, which is delightful!

I read her earlier book "How to be a woman" a couple years ago. I was in a tent with my family, and I am a night owl. I was lying there in the dark, reading and having to bite down on my knuckle to stop from bursting out laughing. I really loved it. Hopefully this book will keep me occupied on this long trip.

My mom is already starting to drive me nuts. I swear there are not enough carbs in the world for the upcoming week.

• Like 2