Menu

"Keeping Home-Schooling Alive" Tonight at 6:00

on Fox News (cable) as a Special Report. The television ad talked about the "headache for lawmakers and taxpayers." It should be interesting.

Thank you.

Thank you. I will set my DVR as I will be at the dance studio at that time. I will have to spray the DVR with Lysol after having it set to Faux News though (lol JK) :tongue_smilie:

LOL, funny. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if BSNBC ever has anything worth watching.

I'm very curious how this effects tax payers. I though that there was MORE money for schools because my kids aren't using the money paid in taxes for their education. Seems like it is a dream for tax payer's not a headache.

I wondered too. Maybe because the schools get a significant amount of federal money for each child enrolled in public school, which they lose if the parents decide to HS? I'll have to watch for it too.

Bev,

Do you have a link? This sounds interesting, but I can't find any information in my local listings.

Thanks!

I looked on the FoxNews website, but didn't see it listed. I just saw an ad for it on TV and have set my DVR to record it tonight.

Sorry. Perhaps tomorrow the website will have something on it, or maybe Youtube? I'll check.

Well, I watched the program. The homeschool part was very short but really positive. It just said that 2.5 million kids are homeschooled and that they were "generally" 2 grades above PS kids. Also that homeschoolers were way more diverse than 20 yrs ago and that even if they have nothing else in common all homeschoolers are uniting to protect our right to homeschool. It talked about some legislature that different states have passed that are pro-homeschooling and it made a short mention of how some homeschoolers want a tax break but others do not because they don't want the added oversight that would come with the tax breaks.

All in all, it was really postive.

I looked on the FoxNews website' date=' but didn't see it listed. I just saw an ad for it on TV and have set my DVR to record it tonight.

Sorry. Perhaps tomorrow the website will have something on it, or maybe Youtube? I'll check.[/quote']

Thanks, Bev.

I'll keep checking Fox News this evening and hope I catch it.

I don't get it. What was the headach part, or was that just something to make people want to watch it?

I think this qualifies as the "legal headache" schtick:

It's also the law that presents some of the toughest challenges. States and school districts have a disjointed jumble of ordinances and measures that can make it tough for parents to know exactly what they are permitted to do as homeschoolers.

The situation has galvanized a nationwide movement. Legal fights to establish homeschooling rights have been launched from California to Pennsylvania. In most cases, Land says, parents are just looking for clarification.

An astute listener would get the idea that homeschooling legalities were not standardized and that is the source of angst.

Overall, I do think the blip on the reporting radar was friendly toward homeschooling.

ETA: I wrote this after reading the article. I've since watched the video. The video makes the "legal headache" much more clear, with a few examples. The video has a lot more than the article.