Menu

typing program needed

DS can already touch type but he is pretty slow (15 WPM), and he has not really picked up much speed by typing his own essays this past year.  I think he needs a drill program that will get him thinking about typing words rather than letters.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

I like Mavis Beacon.  You can often pick it up on TradeMe etc.  It is straightforward, to the point and without busywork frills although it does have a few basic games as rewards.   With typing I think 10 ,minutes a day serious application is better than complicated software designed to entertain.

This is *exactly* what I'm looking for!! Thanks so much. Good thing I'm picking up another kid to tutor because in NZ it is 60 dollars a month! eek!

Through HSBC it is US$80 a year.

If it is the ability to move up and down the levels as needed that you want, consider using the free typing.com. If you don't login and track your progress, you can do any lesson, any time, as many times as you need.

Have you tried just googling typing games? It sounds like he doesn't need to learn to type so much as speed drills. There are a bunch of games out there for free at varying levels of ridiculous, but that all emphasize speed and accuracy. Everything from ninja cats to fish to zombies.

• 4 weeks later...