Menu

Homeschooling in Spain

I am from Spain. People do not homeschool in Spain. My family thought I had joined a cult when I told them I was homeschooling my children (we started 12 years ago). I didn't know what homeschooling was until I met some homeschooling families while teaching a Spanish Class for Pre-Schoolers at my local library here in the states. My family thinks I am crazy :)

You are American so you should be able to homeschool your children. Contact the US. Embassy and ask what the rules are.

• Like 2

The HSDLA describes home ed precarious when removing a child from school in Spain. I suspect that as an expat intending on University in the US you would be in a better situation than many.

http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Spain/default.asp

Several years ago I met someone (British) moving to Spain and planning on home ed. She never mentioned any potential legal issues with home ed in Spain and seemed to be relatively well researched. I know something didn't go as expected but I think the problems were more the parents part (maybe a divorce?). I have heard they are back in UK with the kids in school.

• Like 1

The HSDLA describes home ed precarious when removing a child from school in Spain. I suspect that as an expat intending on University in the US you would be in a better situation than many.

http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Spain/default.asp

That's what I'm thinking. We won't exactly be expats, as it would be a new job with a new company, so we would be there as long as dh keeps the job. However, we would be intending on our dc coming back to the US for university. My oldest, a senior, has already been excepted to her college of choice here in PA and will be attending after a gap year. It would be great if she could spend part of that year in Spain.

Being able to homeschool in Spain is a deal breaker in whether or not dh takes the job.

• Like 1

OP I suggest that one of the things you do is to send an email to the ACS (American Citizens Services unit) in the U.S. Embassy in Spain. If you are VERY LUCKY, the person who responds to you will know what Home Schooling is, AND, possibly that person will know whether or not it is legal in Spain, or who you can contact for better information. . I suspect it may take you and your DH awhile to get the bottom line on whether or not it is legal. If you do move overseas,  DO NOT FORGET to register with the ACS!

I have friends homeschooling in a place where that is very unusual, and they find being able to say "we are using an American curriculum to prepare our kids for American University" works very well to avoid social awkwardness. People understand and accept that. I can't speak on the legality, sorry.

• Like 2

I knew a family that home schooled there. But for them, they were missionaries. They were not concerned with getting in to college there or such. They came back to the US before college age and finished here. Their oldest is in college now. The 2nd is a senior in an American high school.

I knew a family that home schooled there. But for them, they were missionaries. They were not concerned with getting in to college there or such. They came back to the US before college age and finished here. Their oldest is in college now. The 2nd is a senior in an American high school.

Good to know. We are not concerned with our dc getting in to college there either. We know we will eventually make our way back to the US, even if it isn't until dh retires. But regardless, our dc will be going to US colleges.

I have friends homeschooling in a place where that is very unusual, and they find being able to say "we are using an American curriculum to prepare our kids for American University" works very well to avoid social awkwardness. People understand and accept that. I can't speak on the legality, sorry.

This is what I usually say. I live in a place where homeschooling is legal but rare. And nearly unheard of for high school.

• Like 1