Menu

Is this too wacky a plan for math?

lacell

After all the recent great advice I've gotten here, I think I have formulated a plan for doing a first grade math do-over. I am combining my almost 7 year old boy and almost 5 year old girl for math (he was slower to mature). So here's the plan. Does it seem feasible and sensible?

1st step - sell RS A scripted lessons (just don't work for my style) and buy Activities for AL Abacus

Then start this:

-CLE Math 1 daily as my spine for both kids to teach at the same time.

-Add in abacus, c-rods (already have these) and other manipulatives as needed; use Activities for AL Abacus to present concepts hands-on before it's presented in CLE as needed (it seems the AL Abacus book is ordered by topic/concept so that shouldn't take long)

-Keep using MEP worksheets only as additional enrichment is there is time and eagerness

My only concern is whether we will cover all the common core areas this way?

I have no idea about the common core requirements, but I don't think your plan sounds all that wacky at all. Have you SEEN how users here blend and combine math curricula?

Essentially you are using CLE math as your "spine" but using manipulatives on an as-needed basis and supplementing/enriching math in your home with MEP.

There is nothing wacky about using manipulatives in the elementary stages of learning math. Nor is using a supplement wacky.

• Like 2

I haven't looked at the Activities book in a while either, and I've misplaced my copy at the moment. It does clearly lay out the concept and tells you how to teach it, but its not very exploratory at all. It provides one, maybe two ways to teach and practice a very specific concept. Granted, I've only used it for early math and DS is only just finishing up first grade math, but RS (at least the Activities but also what I understand of the scripted program too) strikes me as an attempt to make conceptual math as "plug and chug" and step by step as possible.

The Mep worksheets are very good and provide more variety of practice and application than RS Activities does, in terms of how to think of problems. I DO like RS Activities for presenting core concepts. I've read CLE is a traditional program that isn't heavy on concepts. I would therefore supplement with more conceptual work than what you have outlined above. Perhaps that would be looking at some of the Mep lessons as well or adding in living math books. We ended up doing a hodge podge of everything.

I recommend against doing math with two kids at the same time. They will never be perfectly in sync in their math learning and understanding, and it can become a source of frustration and hurt feelings very quickly.

My kids are less than a year apart, and I started off doing math with them together. I learned very quickly not to do this. I have always (since then) kept them separate in skill subjects even if I combined them in content subjects.

• Like 5

I agree with Tara on combining kids for math.

However, you could possibly introduce some concepts to them at the same time. Then, one does some seat work while you work 1-on-1 with the other. Then, switch.

We don't even 'play math' with kids who are close in age/ability. I have enough kids far enough apart to be able to pair a much-older-kid with a much-younger-kid for math games.

My dd#2 & dd#3 are close enough in math ability that I can teach them the concepts together, but they do separate seat work and are working on different levels of the same types of problems. I have them do the same flashcards - but not where they can hear/see each other. It becomes too much of an unhealthy competition in our house with feelings of inadequacy. We already have enough I-hate-math stuff!

• Like 1

I agree to not combine kids.  It's fine to teach them the same level if you think your dd is ready for it, but do it separately and prepare for your son to "click" and move forward at a rapid pace and for your dd to need a bit more time... you might see a six month separation by the end of the school year.  It's important she is given the time to linger as her skills develop and that he is given the time to move ahead when he is ready.  

One option you can do is have both children "warm up" with some cuisinaire rod or abacus demonstrations- basically your dd's "lesson" for the day.  Then go on with ds to his real lesson for the day.  

It may be your dd has no problem.  As an anecdote, I started my dd is SM1 at age 5.5 or so.  She did great until we came to the subtraction chapter, but she could not get the hang of subtraction.  It was definitely a matter of not being able to "read" an equation, as she could solve the problems when given rods or when the question was phrased as a word problem or drawn with parts-whole circles.  We simply closed the SM workbook, played rod games and exercises, and then started back up a month or two later.  She then ZOOMED through.  She is in SM2 now at age 6.  

I offer the anecdote only to say:  if you do combine your kids, be SURE that you pause if you need to.  Maybe they can start together, but it should not be a goal that they end together.  

• Like 2

I appreciate the warning about combining kids! I was planning to combine them for the manipulative discussion and then the script from CLE 1 TM and then also the first part of the workbook each day with tracing the number and saying the rhyme. Then they would go their own ways. Does that sound reasonable?

Confused. You mean it's reported not to?

She just means a spam post showed up in the thread, she reported it to the mods and then they removed it without deleting the thread, leaving her notification hanging there looking out of place when in fact she has done a service for the greater good. :)

She just means a spam post showed up in the thread, she reported it to the mods and then they removed it without deleting the thread, leaving her notification hanging there looking out of place when in fact she has done a service for the greater good. :)

wait? What? Did I do something wrong?

Haha, no you're fine.  

The post just above the one that says "reported" was a spam and probably contained a non-authorized link (money making thing).  After it was reported, the moderator probably just removed the link rather than deleting the entire post.  You re all good.  :-)

For your math plan, give combining a try and see how it goes!  You're the boss at your homeschool.  Just watch for signs that they need separate instruction.  Signs may not be that they are at the wrong level, it could be that they develop a competitiveness or that the son feels babied or dd feels like a baby.  lol.  Just mess around with your schedule and eventually you will find what works!

• Like 1

OP, I've used RS and get your frustration with it, though I am glad I used it.

I have and do use CLE, though not in those early levels.

I think I have a feel for what you're trying to do--supplement CLE with conceptual (why understanding) and hands on?

I don't know if the ALAbacus book will be helpful or not. I tried to use it to supplement Singapore because I disliked teaching RS. I ended up re--purchasing my RS. So you might hold onto your current RS until you're sure you want to leave. I know of nothing better, including Singapore and CLE, for presentation of the basic concepts of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, you need the whole curriculum for that, and I do understand why you don't like it as I imagine I had similar feelings!

I do think teaching those basic concepts with c-rods might be a great option though. I didn't have that on my radar at the time I tried to switch. And education unboxed videos (free) would be a fantastic resource for you to use along with your rods and CLE. I would think about purchasing the current grade of Math Mammoth too maybe...it would be an easy way to glance at the conceptual explanation/"why" stuff behind whatever CLE is teaching, just to see that it's presented well. In my experience with older levels, you will find the conceptual hit and and miss. Ignore that if that's isn't a concern though. Education Unboxed may be all you need. I was never trying to use that along with CLE at the young ages, so haven't examined it for good matching.  I really like c-rods.

****I would definitely urge you to add FAN math Process Skills and Problem Solving to CLE, even if you end up doing it a grade behind (FAN math 1 in 2nd for example) if you have to because the CLE sequence is a lot different than Singapore. I really appreciate the spiral of CLE...it's a fantastic way to learn imo. However, CLE is very weak in word problems in my opinion/experience. It needs supplemented. Singapore is fantastic with word problems, and FAN math Process Skills is an inexpensive, excellent "word problems the Singapore way" supplement. Also adding this will up the challenge/thinking practice of CLE.   ****

I have never combined for math, even though mine are twins. Part of this is because I want to check for individual understanding and go at each child's individual pace. I don't think mine would have been working well individually without me at that age, but I wasn't using CLE and all kids are different. I hope that part works well for you.

ETA: I thought of something else. If conceptual understanding is important to you, you will want to work checks of understanding into CLE. Ask the child to explain why they did x or y as you grade their work for example.

Edited by sbgrace

After all the recent great advice I've gotten here, I think I have formulated a plan for doing a first grade math do-over. I am combining my almost 7 year old boy and almost 5 year old girl for math (he was slower to mature). So here's the plan. Does it seem feasible and sensible?

1st step - sell RS A scripted lessons (just don't work for my style) and buy Activities for AL Abacus

Then start this:

-CLE Math 1 daily as my spine for both kids to teach at the same time.

-Add in abacus, c-rods (already have these) and other manipulatives as needed; use Activities for AL Abacus to present concepts hands-on before it's presented in CLE as needed (it seems the AL Abacus book is ordered by topic/concept so that shouldn't take long)

-Keep using MEP worksheets only as additional enrichment is there is time and eagerness

My only concern is whether we will cover all the common core areas this way?

This sounds reasonable.  Be ready for one or the other to go faster in CLE, and let them.  CLE is actually good curric for kids who can work a bit more independently. Personality-wise, if they are competitive and prone to hurt feelings and comparisons, I would caution against using the same spine for both kids.  If that's an issue, choose CLE for the one who is most likely to benefit from a little independence and then pick a different math spine for the other. (I have gone so far as to take a sharpie marker through grade levels on books b/c my kids are very close in age and there are all sorts of hard feelings if it appears that a little sibling is surpassing the older.)

They can and should use the same supplements.  Games!  Why not the RS games?  The major perk to having kids close in age/ability is the opportunity to have them play those sorts of games together, where competition is a good thing.  

There is a relaxed math thread going...I'd do all those fun things together while they are little.

• Like 1