Menu

8.75 yr old and underarm odor

My sweetest child, will be 9 in December. The other night and one day last week she was playing and when she came up beside me she Stunk!! I couldn't believe I was smelling body odor on my little girl. So I did what any other mother would do and lifted her arm, stuck my nose in her armpit and died.

She is just a little girl, skinny little rat too. Why on earth would she have body odor at such a young age? Has anyone else had a child this young have body odor? I have her on organic milk, she nursed til she was 16 months and she if my puesdovegetarian.

My son didn't need deodorant until he was 13.

My sweetest child, will be 9 in December. The other night and one day last week she was playing and when she came up beside me she Stunk!! I couldn't believe I was smelling body odor on my little girl. So I did what any other mother would do and lifted her arm, stuck my nose in her armpit and died.

She is just a little girl, skinny little rat too. Why on earth would she have body odor at such a young age? Has anyone else had a child this young have body odor? I have her on organic milk, she nursed til she was 16 months and she if my puesdovegetarian.

Here too and my dd is only 7. We don't use deodorant every day, but certainly on tennis days or other big activity or really hot days. I was completely freaked out by it.

We started ours on baking soda under the arms. It works wonderfully and doesn't have any chemicals. Just have her put a bit on while she's still damp from her shower. On hot or very active days, we'll wash mid-day and re-apply. :)

FWIW, I have become *very* leery of the chemicals we've been using on our skin all these years. A few years ago, I got chemicals out of the house and we use all natural products now. They work just as well and are usually cheaper.

hth

Aggie :)

Underarm odor is one of the signs of adrenarche, which is part of the process of puberty. It is considered "normal" starting at age 8, and premature if it begins before age 8.

But I don't want to worry anyone: premature adrenarche is rarely a concern unless accompanied by other signs of puberty. Even in that case there's still no reason to panic, but it is a good idea to mention it to a pediatrician.

:)Carolyn

My son whose 8th birthday is today had body odor for the first time a few weeks ago, while he was still seven! I was shocked. I haven't bought him deodorant yet because I'm hoping that was a freak occurence. :001_smile: But if I smell it again, he will be getting some deodorant real soon.

Erica

Normal. Mine were older when that started. My eldest uses a natural/herbal deoderant with no chemicals in it. My other one rarely needs it, so doesn't use one often.

As for puberty, if it runs early in your family, organic milk, etc, won't change anything. I still remember reading an article in the San Francisco Chronicle around 1970 about a 10 yo having a baby, so early puberty was happening then. (Yes, it was in the paper with a photo of the mother and baby--how times have changed!)

Underarm odor is one of the signs of adrenarche, which is part of the process of puberty. It is considered "normal" starting at age 8, and premature if it begins before age 8.

But I don't want to worry anyone: premature adrenarche is rarely a concern unless accompanied by other signs of puberty. Even in that case there's still no reason to panic, but it is a good idea to mention it to a pediatrician.

My oldest dd had b.o. when she was 4!! I did ask our doctor about it, but at the time she was not showing any other signs of puberty. However, she did start her cycle at 10, so... you just never know.

My other kids have not exhibited any of these symptoms. I keep waiting for my almost 10yo son to start stinking, but so far, so good. :001_smile:

:)Carolyn

NOOOOO....can you hear me screaming???? I am not ready to go through puberty with her!! I just finished with her brother, I need a break, I need a little girl not a prepubescent hormonal crazy child (sounds like I am describing her 40 yr old mother)!!

Dear Heavens, will the Lord not have mercy and wait a year or so...........

this is me screaming :svengo: