Menu

Gifts for last minute Christmas guests

naturegirl

So, I just found out this past weekend that I have four kids to buy gifts for I wasn't expecting to need to shop for. The whole thing has kind of been a mess, with my sister telling me we were probably getting together with these kids (her partner's children) but on a different day than our main Christmas celebration, then telling me it definitely wasn't happening and now it's on, but on the same night the rest of our family is celebrating. When my family celebrates there are usually six or so adults and two kids. Each individual or family (depending of relationship status) buys about five gifts for each person (it may seem like a lot, but that is just what we've always done, so it is normal to us). A lot of the gifts are just small things we've picked up throughout the year.

However, now there are four more kids to shop for. I've never met these children and I have no idea what to get them. I feel like I should get each of them several presents so they are not left with only a couple presents each to open while the rest of us open our 15+ presents. As annoyed as I am with my sister for springing this on us last minute, it's certainly not the kids fault and I don't want them to feel left out. So, I need ideas for presents for a 15-year-old girl who is smart, likes learning new facts and likes to read; a 13-year-old boy who likes soccer, specifically the Portland Timbers, and movies; an 8-year-old girl who likes reading, books on CD and sock monkeys (my mom will get her a sock monkey though, because she makes them); and a 5-year-old girl who is into faeries, My Little Pony and drawing.

Any ideas for any of these ages/genders would be appreciated. I would like to get them several smaller things so they have a bunch of gifts to open. I'm not sure my mom or her partner will be open to getting multiple gifts for each kid, so I really feel like I need to come through on this. I'm not on a tight budget, but I don't want to go too crazy. I've already spent a lot of money of gifts this year.

Thanks!

"15-year-old girl who is smart, likes learning new facts and likes to read; a 13-year-old boy who likes soccer, specifically the Portland Timbers, and movies; an 8-year-old girl who likes reading, books on CD and sock monkeys (my mom will get her a sock monkey though, because she makes them); and a 5-year-old girl who is into faeries, My Little Pony and drawing"

--------------------------------------------------------------

15: trivia-a-day calendar, $10 B&N or amazon gift card, sudoku or puzzle book, cute bracelet, a food item of some sort

13: $10 Fandango gift card, Portland Timbers sticker (maybe he could put it in his room or on his computer), flying hoop, soccer hacky sack, a food item of some sort

8: Little House in the Big Woods on cd, sock monkey rubber ducks, a pillow pet, flingshot monkey, a food item of some sort

5: Fairy Houses book (or any of the fairy books by the Kanes), a fairy sticker book from Dover, any of these fairy items (quite a few are 'add-on' amazon items), fairy wings, a food item of some sort

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 2

OMG, these are almost the ages of our kids. And no, it's not us. :)

So, I need ideas for presents for a 15-year-old girl who is smart, likes learning new facts and likes to read;

Anatomy coloring book instead of a complex coloring book; 

a 13-year-old boy who likes soccer, specifically the Portland Timbers, and movies;

iTunes has movies, so an iTunes card

Timbers stuff is expensive so I agree, socks are best

an 8-year-old girl who likes reading, books on CD and sock monkeys (my mom will get her a sock monkey though, because she makes them);

Half-price books gift certificate, or if you're in Portland, hence, Timbers, a Powell's gift card

Journal with a pretty pen with a light on it (never seen an eight-year-old girl, whether she's a super girly girl or the toughest kid you've ever seen, not swoon over a journal with a pen with a light on it but that might be just me), wrapped separately

and a 5-year-old girl who is into faeries, My Little Pony and drawing.

Plush fairy

Special drawing journal with colored pencils, grown-up looking ones, and a little carrying case, all wrapped separately

Fairy coloring book

Frozen Yoghurt gift card ("take a friend!")

I know gift cards seem impersonal but people have so much stuff nowadays that honestly... our kids just love them. Put in a little box.

Also, you can buy sets of: packs of cards, Christmas ornaments, or Mad Libs, to wrap separately.

• Like 1

15-year old girl

Amazon or local bookstore gift card

Book-light

Calendar

Trivia game

Journal and pen

Socks or gloves

Candy

13-year old boy

Timber-related items

Movie passes

Headlamp or flashlight 

Game/card game

Socks or gloves

yo-yo

Candy

8-year old girl

Sock monkey charm

Bracelet or necklace

Sock monkey book (or ask sister for recommended titles)

Notebook/journal

Glitter pens or scented pens

Game/card game

Gift card

Bubble bath

Candy

5-year old girl 

Art tote (plastic bin large enough to hold paper and supplies)

Pad of paper, colored pencils or markers, pencil sharpener

How to draw faeries or ponies book

Toy faerie or pony

Faerie dress-up costume

Game/card game

Bubble bath

Candy

• Like 1

You've gotten some great ideas.  But I'm thinking also of the sudden financial burden plus time spent shopping.  Can you ask your sister to bring a few gifts for them so you don't have to buy so many?

Be careful of Amazon gift cards unless  you know the recipient has prime and/or already likes to shop there.  A $10 gift card won't go far with shipping costs.

I'd get the 13- and 15-year-olds Starbucks (or local coffeehouse) gift cards.  

This is one of the things that drives me batty about steps--everyone feels like they need to treat the steps the same as the non-steps, so the steps end up getting double everything.  That's the way it happened in my family before my step aged out of the process:  stepson received presents from my parents (divorced, so x2), my husband's parents (also divorced, so x2), my husband/me, his mom and step-dad, his step-dad's family and his mom's parents (not divorced, so just one set).  That was 8 family units giving him something, just counting parents and grandparents.  It can be overwhelming for the steps to be inundated with gifts from people they barely know.  That's why I would suggest getting them a gift each and possibly restructuring the evening so they're not there for the main present-opening fiesta.

• Like 1

I think it's very generous of you to help make them feel at home on the holiday.  A few suggestions I didn't see mentioned:

Restoration Hardware has some stocking stuffer items that might work and are a bit unusual: https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?parentCatId=cat180005&categoryId=cat280049&sale=false

fuzzy or silly socks (15 and 13)

earbuds (15 and 13)

stickers (5)

small lego kits (8)

• Like 1