Menu

For fun: song lyrics you get wrong...

Ok, so my db's favorite hymn in church used to be "Bringin' in the Cheese" , You know, Bringin' in the Cheese, Bringin' in the cheese, we will come rejoicing, bringin' in the cheese :D

My big slip was a Kenny Rogers song, Lucille. You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, with 400 children and a crop in the field....:confused: I alway's wondered how this guy had time to even go looking for her, I mean who was taking care of the 400 children????

Ok, so my db's favorite hymn in church used to be "Bringin' in the Cheese" , You know, Bringin' in the Cheese, Bringin' in the cheese, we will come rejoicing, bringin' in the cheese :D

My big slip was a Kenny Rogers song, Lucille. You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, with 400 children and a crop in the field....:confused: I alway's wondered how this guy had time to even go looking for her, I mean who was taking care of the 400 children????

My dh and his grandfather used to walk through the fields on his grandfather's farm and grandpa would sing "Bringing in the Sheaves". Dh always thought he was singing, "Bringing in the Weeds"!!!

Chelle

My dh and his grandfather used to walk through the fields on his grandfather's farm and grandpa would sing "Bringing in the Sheaves". Dh always thought he was singing, "Bringing in the Weeds"!!!

Chelle

Your dh and my db should have gotten together for dinner, they could have had cheese and salad.:lol:

It's interesting, but I think most of the mixups about songs that were popular when I was in my teens and early 20s are from people younger than me by at least 10 years. Is it because you were listening to these songs when you were little ones? I only ask because I remember how my dc would get strange words when they were younger, and even now to popular music. Of course, I don't have that excuse, but I stick by the excuse that I was listening on old technology. My dad was so against me having a transistor radio (yes, that's how old I am and some of the other parents here) that my first radio was a hand-me-down from a couple who were in their 80s (I was 15). It even made those funny noises when you turned the dial to change the stations. It came from the 40s, I think, based on what it looked like. No later than the early 1950s. Sound quality wasn't so great.

If it happens now, it has to be because my ears are ringing;) or the kids are too noisy.

I laughed whenever I got it, but some of them, I don't know what the original was. "Anna no" I got (and I know), pus the dems one and "Brown the runway" I got, but is there an explanation somewhere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but here are the original lyrics:

Unsealed

On a porch a letter sat

Then you said i wanna leave it again

Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand

And on the sand I wanna leave it again... yeah

On a weekend I wanna wish it all away yeah...

And they called and I said that I want what I said

And then I call out again

And the reason oughta leave her calm I know

I said i dont know whether

Im the boxer or the bag

Ah yeah ehh....

Can you see them

Out on the porch

But they dont wave

I see them round the front way yeah

And I know I dont want to stay...

Make me cry <guitar solo>

Ooooh I see

I dont know theres something else

I wanna drum it all away

Oh I said I dont, I dont know whether Im a boxer or the bag

Ah yeah ehh....

Can you see them

Out on the porch

But they dont wave

I see them round the front way yeah

And I know I dont want to stay

I dont wanna stay (2x)

Dont

Dont wanna

Oh... yeah... oooh...

and the video is just things that could fit the mumbling vocals instead.

The Steve Miller song "Big ol' jet airliner, don't carry me too far away" etc.

When I was a kid, I always thought he was singing "big ol' Jed and the rhino" listen to it, I swear you'll hear it

I had a friend who's kid thought that the Meatloaf song that goes "cause two out of three aint bad" actually said "cause you are a free arab"

I'm not sure what you're asking, but here are the original lyrics:

and the video is just things that could fit the mumbling vocals instead.

Thanks. Now I get it. Due to the title, I thought that the group had written some joke song on hard to understand lyrics, probably influenced by this post, but this is the answer to my question. I switched to classical music stations around 1982/83 when I got tired of the hyper DJs, so anything newer than that I'm not as familiar with unless I heard it when out dancing or in a grocery store, etc.

Chelle

This was a song that was sung every week at my grandmother's church. Grandma always hung her sheets out on the line and I always thought they were singing "Bringing in the Sheets". :)

Blinded by the light,

revved up like a deuce,

another runner in the night

Ok, I always thought (honestly) that these lyrics were:

Blinded by the light

Wrapped up like a douche

Another odor in the night

What's the song that goes something like "suffer jet city"?? Anybody know? My husband and I have sung it, " down south of Jeff City" for so long I can't remember what it's really supposed to be! We grew up near Jefferson City, MO, and it always sounded like that to us!

We're weird, I know, but I feel in great company here!

Chelle

There's a song from the 90s.....millions of peaches, peaches for free... our son 3 at the time would sing....millions of pizzas, pizzas for free....

Geesh, you could tell he had italian blood flowing in him! :lol:

I sing this song to my kids all the time! For some reason, it's always stuck in my head.

(70's Manfred Mann) "Blinded by the light

Break up like a douche, another runner in the night."

This is one that gets me. I know what I'm hearing isn't right, but I don't know what the real words are.

Same with that other 70's song "I'm not talking bout the ?????, and I don't want to change your mind, but there's a warm wind blowing the stars around, and I really want to see you tonight."

This is one that gets me. I know what I'm hearing isn't right, but I don't know what the real words are.

Same with that other 70's song "I'm not talking bout the ?????, and I don't want to change your mind, but there's a warm wind blowing the stars around, and I really want to see you tonight."

I think it's "I'm not talkin' bout forever"...it *is* hard to understand, & now I can't remember for sure, &...well... I *do* make stuff up, so...:001_huh: :lol:

All this tripping down memory lane reminded me of After the Goldrush. I always thought it was "In the 1917" but it's "in the 1970s"--I just looked it up because after all these years, I'd put that 1970s line in the wrong place where it talks about the archers, and, as my kids pointed out when I was singing it today, that makes no sense, because knights in armour were long before 1917. I'm really, really good at butchering lyrics of songs I haven't heard or sung in a long, long time.

I think it's "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in...and I don't want to change your life."

Funny. Very funny.

Chelle

I think it's "I'm not talkin' bout forever"...it *is* hard to understand, & now I can't remember for sure, &...well... I *do* make stuff up, so...:001_huh: :lol:

Of course, I remember that song. It's called "I really want to see you tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley--I remember them from high school years. On the second page I found with the lyrics (the first had some dance movements in it and was NOT the original artist) there's even a section with MISHEARD LYRICS! Here's the link http://www.amiright.com/artists/englanddanamdjohnfordcoley.shtml It's from a site that says it's "makin' fun of music"

I think it's "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in...and I don't want to change your life."

Funny. Very funny.

Chelle

Yeah, yeah, yeah! What she said!

But I puzzled over this one for YEARS. What was he doing? Singing & chewing gum at the same time??? :lol: Actually, it sounds like he's gargling w/ mouthwash about that point in the song.

Now I wish the radio was plugged in. :glare:

Part of the problem is I can't remember the words to ANY songs, so I just make up something to fill in. Dc have come to... enjoy... this? :lol:

Me too! Clearly I am NOT an auditory learner. For example...

This is what I sang when I was a girl:

Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad,

Feliz Navidad, Potatoes, Onions, Felicidad

:001_huh: So embarrassing!

Yeah, yeah, yeah! What she said!

But I puzzled over this one for YEARS. What was he doing? Singing & chewing gum at the same time??? :lol: Actually, it sounds like he's gargling w/ mouthwash about that point in the song.

Now I wish the radio was plugged in. :glare:

Yes, and the same could be said for many artists/groups, right?? It's a personality thing...the left-brainers that enunciate aren't creative enough to be musicians, and the talented (that's a relative term!) musicians aren't anal enough to enunciate!!

I'm warped. Please, don't anyone get their feelings hurt by my gross generalizations! The world needs all kinds!

Chelle

Me too! Clearly I am NOT an auditory learner. For example...

This is what I sang when I was a girl:

Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad,

Feliz Navidad, Potatoes, Onions, Felicidad

:001_huh: So embarrassing!

That's funny! Now I've gotta look up THOSE lyrics...not that I have anything else to do--ack! What can I say--it's FRIDAY!

Chelle

Here's a link to a site with a list of the 50 songs with the most misheard lyrics submitted. Truly, this is a link for those who like this kind of thing. http://www.amiright.com/misheard/song/ The number one song has been mentioned here, Blinded by the Light.

oh my, some of these were so funny. I just spent half an hour laughing so hard I was crying. :lol:

Yes, and the same could be said for many artists/groups, right?? It's a personality thing...the left-brainers that enunciate aren't creative enough to be musicians, and the talented (that's a relative term!) musicians aren't anal enough to enunciate!!

I'm warped. Please, don't anyone get their feelings hurt by my gross generalizations! The world needs all kinds!

Chelle

Well, any well trained vocalist learns how to enunciate well, which is why classical vocal training (many Americans call it opera, but opera is just one kind of classical singing) is so helpful for any vocalist regardless of genre. Plus, while I was considered very talented in music (piano) and got 10 out of 10 on my last senior ear exam, I have to learn to sing songs kinesthetically. If I want to learn to sing to a different arrangement I need a piano and to practice different ways, or else to have written out the words and sung it to a recording of the arrangement. One woman said I had a lazy ear from learning to play piano as my main instrument--I didn't think I had a great ear until she prepped me for that last ear exam (not something you can memorize, btw).

Sorry if someone has already posted this, but it cracks me up.

LOL!!! :lol:

Eddie Vedder always sings like he's got marbles in his mouth! But I love Pearl Jam with a passion!! :)

One of my favorite Weird Al songs is Smells Like Nirvana, which pokes fun at this very topic!

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyTNd-Ln38

My big slip was a Kenny Rogers song, Lucille. You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, with 400 children and a crop in the field.... I alway's wondered how this guy had time to even go looking for her, I mean who was taking care of the 400 children????

Oh my word! I did the exact same thing. :) That was one song we actually had on a record when I was a kid. It was years and years before I realized it was 4 hungry children!!! I also thought it said "400 children and a crop in the SEA" Too funny!

:lol:

"Another Ones Bites the Dust" by Queen

Another one rides the bus.

Weird Al did do "another one rides the bus" and for a while back in the late 80's early 90's the Milwaukee County Transit System used it for a commercial.

They even altered the lyrics a bit so it went something like this.

Another one rides the bus,

Another one rides the bus

And another gets on and another gets on, another one rides the bus

Tranfer please, Another one rides the bus.

My brother always used to think the words to the song "Burnadete" were "Burn again"

I always loved the commercial from a while back where a man and woman were driving listening to Def Leopard's "Pour some sugar on me" and he was singing "Pour some shook up Ramen" and when she asked him "what" he said "Ramen, you know Soup!"