Menu

I need "man" help. (no bashing involved--and any male input is welcome)

Ok, I've posted before ( a while back) about a man at church who does really sweet things for me, never asking for anything in return. I've offered to make him some cookies, etc, but he always politely declines, saying that he wouldn't eat more than two. He always says he's just happy to do these things for me.

So, knowing he does woodwork, I asked him if he had time to make my dd a doll bed for Christmas. I asked him to give me an estimate of the cost, too. Well, tonight, he said that the cost was under $15 and that he was happy to do it and didn't want to charge me for his time.

I really want to do something nice for him. Is it appropriate to make dinner for him? (I know he likes my cooking; that info has trickled down to me from his friends).

I know I must sound like a complete idiot, being my age and not having a clue what to do in this situation, so go easy on me. ;)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've posted before ( a while back) about a man at church who does really sweet things for me, never asking for anything in return. I've offered to make him some cookies, etc, but he always politely declines, saying that he wouldn't eat more than two. He always says he's just happy to do these things for me.

So, knowing he does woodwork, I asked him if he had time to make my dd a doll bed for Christmas. I asked him to give me an estimate of the cost, too. Well, tonight, he said that the cost was under $15 and that he was happy to do it and didn't want to charge me for his time.

I really want to do something nice for him. Is it appropriate to make dinner for him? (I know he likes my cooking; that info has trickled down to me from his friends).

I know I must sound like a complete idiot, being my age and not having a clue what to do in this situation, so go easy on me. ;)

Is he interested in you??? It sounds that way to me. If you aren't interested in possibly starting a relationship, dinner probably isn't the way to go. If you are, I'd say it's perfect :D

Barb

Well... I think we need more information. Does he just do sweet things for you, or is he actually sweet on you? Are you sweet on him? Were you thinking of inviting him to your place for dinner? Because dinner could be dinner, or it could be, you know, dinner. As in, a date. Or were you thinking of sending him home with his meal to go?

It's totally appropriate, though, to do something for him and you are a dear to want to show your appreciation in this way.

You know, I've wanted to ask you about this situation for awhile now, but I didn't want to be too pushy. Well, what do you think about him? If you cooked dinner for him and he acted like he was interested in you, would that be okay? If he didn't show interest, would you be hurt? Can you imagine yourself being alone with him? I don't mean in bed or anything, I mean can you imagine just sitting with him and talking and does that thought make you smile?

If you think you'd possibly be interested in him, cook him dinner.

If you aren't at all interested, give him a gift card to Home Depot. Or Lowe's. Or Macaroni Grill or something. :D

Well... I think we need more information. Does he just do sweet things for you, or is he actually sweet on you? Are you sweet on him? Were you thinking of inviting him to your place for dinner? Because dinner could be dinner, or it could be, you know, dinner. As in, a date. Or were you thinking of sending him home with his meal to go?

Yeah, see that's what I was wondering because I can't see how bringing a guy a meatloaf could in any way be inappropriate. But if Michelle's *inviting* him to dinner I want to hear more :thumbup:

Details!!!! Does he like you? do you like him? Come on!! :D

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this. And golly. I hope I'm not confusing her with another mom, because I really wanted to say, "Well, honey, make sure he's not gay before you invite him over!" And then I started imagining all the funny ways one could go about acquiring that information.

*wailing in frustration* I don't know!!!!

I do like him, and if he asked me out, I'd go in a heartbeat. But, I've been divorced for over a year, and he's never asked me out once. But, he comes over and helps me with my car (before I bought the new one), he picks things up at Sam's for me if I ask, and he watches me. I see him watching me (not in a creepy, stalker way, but I'll be at church in conversation with someone and look up to find him watching me. What does that mean??) His friends are very very nice to me (more so in the last year than previously).

A friend asked me tonight if I'd date him. She doesn't have any "inside info" or anything, but said that he's so nice, and I'm so nice, that we should date. But since he's never asked me out, I guess we're not gonna date. LOL But I don't know if he needs encouragement that I like him, or if I'm giving a weird signal or if he's just a great guy helping out the single mom.

After being SO deceived by EX, I'm petrified of misreading or misinterpreting this and I really don't want to look foolish.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this. And golly. I hope I'm not confusing her with another mom, because I really wanted to say, "Well, honey, make sure he's not gay before you invite him over!" And then I started imagining all the funny ways one could go about acquiring that information.

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

ROFL! He's made it abundantly clear to me over the past year or so that he is most assuredly NOT gay.

*wailing in frustration* I don't know!!!!

I do like him, and if he asked me out, I'd go in a heartbeat. But, I've been divorced for over a year, and he's never asked me out once. But, he comes over and helps me with my car (before I bought the new one), he picks things up at Sam's for me if I ask, and he watches me. I see him watching me (not in a creepy, stalker way, but I'll be at church in conversation with someone and look up to find him watching me. What does that mean??) His friends are very very nice to me (more so in the last year than previously).

A friend asked me tonight if I'd date him. She doesn't have any "inside info" or anything, but said that he's so nice, and I'm so nice, that we should date. But since he's never asked me out, I guess we're not gonna date. LOL But I don't know if he needs encouragement that I like him, or if I'm giving a weird signal or if he's just a great guy helping out the single mom.

After being SO deceived by EX, I'm petrified of misreading or misinterpreting this and I really don't want to look foolish.

If he is doing all that stuff for you and watching you (in a non creepy way) he likes ya Sister!!!! Go for it. Make him a meal. That will def. be the test for if he likes you "that" way or not.

... and he watches me. I see him watching me (not in a creepy, stalker way, but I'll be at church in conversation with someone and look up to find him watching me. What does that mean??)

He totally likes you. That's what that means. He likes you. He's shy. Invite him to dinner.

Now. Do it now.

Ya know, sometimes the men are the clueless ones. :) Not in a bad way, there's sometimes just an innocence about them.

Have him over for sup, then, I say.

BTW, I know several women who actually asked their now-dhs (apostrophe or no?!) first. Not a women's lib thing, just a casual "let's go out". Because the men didn't have a clue.

Aggie

If he is doing all that stuff for you and watching you (in a non creepy way) he likes ya Sister!!!! Go for it. Make him a meal. That will def. be the test for if he likes you "that" way or not.

Will you come over and hold my hand so I don't have a nervous breakdown? Or would that send the wrong message? LOL

Michelle, if it were me, I would invite him over for dinner. Now, I've been single for 5 years, well, that is when I found out about my xh, anyway, and I still haven't gotten ready to date yet, but if I were you, I'd go for it, as in, um, do the dinner thing. That is making the first move without really risking anything, kwim?

Will you come over and hold my hand so I don't have a nervous breakdown? Or would that send the wrong message? LOL

hehehehe Sure I will be right over. :auto: We can put an earpiece thing in your ear and I can tell ya what to say and......................hey wait this sounds like a really bad movie :001_huh:

BTW, I know several women who actually asked their now-dhs (apostrophe or no?!) first. Not a women's lib thing, just a casual "let's go out". Because the men didn't have a clue.

If I hadn't asked my husband out years ago, we wouldn't be together! He was way too shy lol

I say invite him over for dinner! :D

We can't hold your hand, any of us, but we can send recipes, and we can wait up late, trolling the boards, waiting, waiting for a report. And then we'll collectively scream with delight when you refuse to tell us whether he kissed you goodnight!

Girl...you two are in love :D

Invite the man to dinner!

Bill

Well, I hate to quote you when so many others have, Bill (I like to be the odd one out, you know ;)), but I can hear a sort of Barry White voice here stating:

Girl...you two are in love :D -- and now it is ringing in my ears!!!

Hey, Bill for president!!! You've got my vote!!!

Um, can we discuss a few issues later?

Well, I hate to quote you when so many others have, Bill (I like to be the odd one out, you know ;)), but I can hear a sort of Barry White voice here stating:

Girl...you two are in love :D -- and now it is ringing in my ears!!!

Hey, Bill for president!!! You've got my vote!!!

Um, can we discuss a few issues later?

Anytime Kiran :001_smile:

Okay, I'm putting on my Dear Angie hat:

Invite the man to dinner.

Find out what he likes and cook it.

Make something really yummy.

But have dd make the dessert or something. And keep her around.

You like him, you like him, you like him!!!!! blissysmile.gif

Totally :iagree: On all counts.

I'm just all :w00t::w00t::w00t: over here.

We can't hold your hand, any of us, but we can send recipes, and we can wait up late, trolling the boards, waiting, waiting for a report. And then we'll collectively scream with delight when you refuse to tell us whether he kissed you goodnight!

Please don't do that, that just wouldn't be fair, don't we deserve to know since like, we helped (or tried to) you and all........:001_huh:

I think i am getting ahead of myself.....er,.......yourself. :tongue_smilie:

Ok. I'll ask him to dinner. But I can't do it NOW because it's almost 11 pm and the man is a pilot and most likely has to fly in the morning. So, if it's ok with the rest of you, can I wait until I see him Sunday and do it in person? Email or phone seems chickeny.

YOU ROCK!!! :party:

Absolutely ask him in person on Sunday. :)

Ok. I'll ask him to dinner. But I can't do it NOW because it's almost 11 pm and the man is a pilot and most likely has to fly in the morning. So, if it's ok with the rest of you, can I wait until I see him Sunday and do it in person? Email or phone seems chickeny.

Yes, in person on Sunday (this Sunday!).

This is exciting :D

Bill

But tomorrow is only Thursday. Why can't you call him tomorrow? And you could invite him for Sunday evening. If you do it your way we'll have to wait longer, and we don't want to. We are dating through you and we don't feel like waiting til sometime next week. We want to have him over this weekend. Do you want us to call him for you?

:lol::lol::lol:

But tomorrow is only Thursday. Why can't you call him tomorrow? And you could invite him for Sunday evening. If you do it your way we'll have to wait longer, and we don't want to. We are dating through you and we don't feel like waiting til sometime next week. We want to have him over this weekend. Do you want us to call him for you?

:lol::lol::lol:

Uh Huh, Uh Huh, what she said! :iagree:

Good thinking. It's only 9 here; I forgot about the time difference.

We'll totally check on you to make sure you did it, though, Sunday afternoon.

I think i am getting ahead of myself.....er,.......yourself. :tongue_smilie:

Heck, I'm already planning their honeymoon! (He's a pilot! They can go anywhere! And they'll be so in love that flying standby will be no problem, all that waiting around. My dad was a pilot so I know all the tricks. I'm ready to offer up all kinds of packing advice, too!)

Bill is right. This is exciting.

Heck, I'm already planning their honeymoon! (He's a pilot! They can go anywhere! And they'll be so in love that flying standby will be no problem, all that waiting around. My dad was a pilot so I know all the tricks. I'm ready to offer up all kinds of packing advice, too!)

This is isn't it?? And a pilot....how romantic.....:001_wub:. Ok this was the "dreamiest" emoticon I could find.

Sorry, you'll have to wait. Tomorrow is the doctor's appointment when we find out the results of DD's blood work. I can't be thinking about tall, moustached pilots with blue eyes and be in the same room with EX while the doc tells us what's wrong with DD.

And, I want to see his facial reaction when I ask. If he looks horrified, then I'll know.

Sorry, you'll have to wait. Tomorrow is the doctor's appointment when we find out the results of DD's blood work. I can't be thinking about tall, moustached pilots with blue eyes and be in the same room with EX while the doc tells us what's wrong with DD.

And, I want to see his facial reaction when I ask. If he looks horrified, then I'll know.

Oh my goodness!!

Err...can you video it and put it on youtube for us? :lol:

He's not a commercial pilot, so I'm not sure how many perks he'd get on a commercial airline.

Besides, we've not had dinner yet!