Menu

Boy Scout moms- Pocket Rocket or Jetboil stove?

mamakelly

I'm looking to buy my 16 year old scout a camping stove for Christmas. Most of The boys in his troop have a Jet Boil. One of his friends has a pocket rocket. My DS says that he likes the pocket rocket better because you can cook other things besides boiling water, but it seems to me that the jet boil is easier to manage. When they backpack they do not cook, they just rehydrate backpacking food. When they camp (but not backpack), they have patrol boxes, so he wouldn't need his stove. Any thoughts?

We have two pocket rockets.  One is an actual PR brand and the other is a knock off.  Honestly, they both work really well.  One was $8 and the other was about $30.  

The main difference is that you will also need a mess kit to cook with it.  We got an MSR brand.

I asked DH (he has more hands on experience and knowledge of the products) and he said if you're just heating water the jet boil is better as it uses much less fuel and is lighter to pack because of that. He also said there is a jet boil that has a cooking top so if you're son would want that in the future just make sure to get the model with that option.