Menu

Classical music singers - question

PrincessMommy

I started taking voice lessons this past summer to get my 51yr old voice in shape after years of not doing much but singing in choirs (soprano).  I've always preferred singing in a choir and am not much of a soloist.

However, since I'm taking voice lessons I need a some solo pieces to work on.  The one downside is that my voice teacher is most knowledgeable about show-tunes and Cabaret styles.  It's okay, but not my absolute favorite.  I did work on "I have a Dream" from Le-Miz. - easy peasy and nice too.  Now she has me working on a nightclub piece and it's not really suited to my voice type and my personal style either.  But, I'm doing it to stretch myself and learn something new.

I'm almost finished working on "Song of the Nightclub Proprietress" (which I have privately dubbed "The Song of the Aging Housewife"  ;) ).  I would like to move to something a little more pastoral and/or ecclesiastical.  This summer we tried working on "Quia Respexit" from  Vivaldi's Magnificat, but she couldn't find an accompaniment recording and we gave up working on it.  That is what I enjoy working on.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

• Like 2

Ugh - maybe you should switch to a more classical teacher?  Even my 14 year old's teacher has pulled a bunch of classical stuff for him including stuff in Italian and German.  Many showtunes are just not that hard and don't require tons of training.  I think your teacher SHOULD be an excellent resource and should know the teaching points for the songs or arias you're working on. 

• Like 4

Ugh - maybe you should switch to a more classical teacher?  Even my 14 year old's teacher has pulled a bunch of classical stuff for him including stuff in Italian and German.  Many showtunes are just not that hard and don't require tons of training.  I think your teacher SHOULD be an excellent resource and should know the teaching points for the songs or arias you're working on. 

yes, I probably should, but finding one isn't as easy as it sounds.  Most teachers seem to work mostly with actors and acting.  I got this teacher as a recommendation.   My main purpose is for voice strengthening though, so I'm not quite ready to give up on her yet.   I'm planning to continue with her until after the new year and then decide what to do... ugh.

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Four-Italian-Seventeenth-Eighteenth-Centuries/dp/0793510066

Work in Italian b/c it's clean diction and you can focus on vocal technique.  (The vowel sounds are all simple.)

It makes no sense to do Broadway first.  Broadway is tough to do without harming your voice if you don't already have a strong background in classical voice training.

Sebben Crudele is the notorious 1st aria to learn, maybe in competition with Caro Mio Ben.  Pick one of those two.  Get a new teacher if she isn't confident in teaching Italian aria. (It says a lot about her own training, iykwim.)

I know you can find this book with a CD accomp included.  I used to have it.

• Like 2

One of the standard collections of songs for singers is the "Twenty-four Italian Songs and Arias" collected by G.Schirmer. These are pitched as varying ranges. Don't let the title throw you; many beginning singers use this collection. Of course, Schubert Lieder are nice, too.

Look for collections of arias. There are generally different levels of difficulty within any collection of songs.

Oh, and don't let anyone talk you into 'The Queen of the Night' aria from Mozart's "The Magic Flute". Sopranos love this piece, but are rarely able to sing it well and can really hurt their voices.

And that's why having a classically trained voice teacher is important. Do you have a university with a school or college of music nearby? There are almost always starving grad students (in voice) willing to give lessons.

• Like 5

I started taking voice lessons this past summer to get my 51yr old voice in shape after years of not doing much but singing in choirs (soprano).  I've always preferred singing in a choir and am not much of a soloist.

However, since I'm taking voice lessons I need a some solo pieces to work on.  The one downside is that my voice teacher is most knowledgeable about show-tunes and Cabaret styles.  It's okay, but not my absolute favorite.  I did work on "I have a Dream" from Le-Miz. - easy peasy and nice too.  Now she has me working on a nightclub piece and it's not really suited to my voice type and my personal style either.  But, I'm doing it to stretch myself and learn something new.

I'm almost finished working on "Song of the Nightclub Proprietress" (which I have privately dubbed "The Song of the Aging Housewife"  ;) ).  I would like to move to something a little more pastoral and/or ecclesiastical.  This summer we tried working on "Quia Respexit" from  Vivaldi's Magnificat, but she couldn't find an accompaniment recording and we gave up working on it.  That is what I enjoy working on.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

I decided to do the same thing this fall!! :)  I, too, have always sang in choirs but wanted some help with strengthening my voice, learning how to sing as a soloist, and with moving on to more difficult repertoire.  You go, girl! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Four-Italian-Seventeenth-Eighteenth-Centuries/dp/0793510066

Work in Italian b/c it's clean diction and you can focus on vocal technique.  (The vowel sounds are all simple.)

It makes no sense to do Broadway first.  Broadway is tough to do without harming your voice if you don't already have a strong background in classical voice training.

Sebben Crudele is the notorious 1st aria to learn, maybe in competition with Caro Mio Ben.  Pick one of those two.  Get a new teacher if she isn't confident in teaching Italian aria. (It says a lot about her own training, iykwim.)

I know you can find this book with a CD accomp included.  I used to have it.

This is one of the books that I've been working out of - although I have the version for medium low voice (I'm an alto and can also sing tenor, if I have to :) ).  I agree with Paula - it's a great book to get started with.  Make sure that your teacher is familiar with correct Italian pronunciation.  My teacher spent an entire lesson going over pronunciation so that I (eventually) will sound Italian (hopefully) and not like an English-speaker attempting to sing butchered Italian. ;)

Folk songs are also a nice way to build repertoire.  Scarborough Fair, She's Like the Swallow, etc. are all pretty and not too difficult for old folks like me to start out with. :)  I've also started on some of the Concone vocalises from some of my daughter's lower level books.

Good luck and have fun!! :)

• Like 1

I have asked my fried (a former opera singer AND former church choir directore) for her advice and will pass it along to you.  :0)  

ETA she got back with me already and is at a choral conference, but said she would get back when she has a moment.  :0)

I started taking voice lessons about a year ago from a classical teacher. I have learned (and enjoyed singing) Caro Mio Ben, Pieta Signore, O Del Mio Dolce Ardor, and I'm currently working on my first German piece, Bist du Bei Mir. I also spent time working on solos from the Messiah for our church Easter and Christmas programs.

• Like 1

The Queen of the Night thing is funny.  Since starting DS with the classical voice teacher 2 1/2 years ago we get opportunities to hear classically trained singers in less formal settings on a regular basis.  I heard a woman sing Queen of the Night that has a MA in vocal performance and it was a TRAIN WRECK.  That one really was written for the best of the best of sopranos.  LOL.  I've heard the same woman sing many other arias and songs that were all spectacular. 

The Queen of the Night thing is funny. Since starting DS with the classical voice teacher 2 1/2 years ago we get opportunities to hear classically trained singers in less formal settings on a regular basis. I heard a woman sing Queen of the Night that has a MA in vocal performance and it was a TRAIN WRECK. That one really was written for the best of the best of sopranos. LOL. I've heard the same woman sing many other arias and songs that were all spectacular.

Not only the the best of the best, but a certain type of soprano voice. Many an undergrad and grad voice student has really set back their training because of trying to sing that piece. I know a soprano who could sing that aria and sing it well; however, she prefers early music. She annually sends shivers down the spine every parishioner during a Mass on Good Friday when she effortlessly floats a high C (yes, *that* high C) in Allegri's "Misereri".

• Like 1