Menu

Formal Logic

Isn't that cowritten with Douglas Wilson? A lot of people here reeeeeeally don't like Douglas Wilson. I can't remember everything I learned about the guy back when I was picking my logic program, but whatever it was it turned me off enough that I didn't want to buy his curriculum. Maybe someone else can chime in with details.

We're using the Art of Argument. It gets the job done. I don't really know what to compare it against--maybe it's really awesome compared to everything else, maybe not. It's written as a workbook with a few little questions to answer at the end of each fallacy and a video to watch. My son doesn't love it or hate it. It's just kinda there. But then again, we do Logic at the end of the day when his brain is fried and he just wants to be done with school. So far we've learned about 9 fallacies and he seems to be retaining what he's learned.

• Like 1

What do people think of the Logic curriculum by Jim Nance?  He has Introductory and Intermediate Logic.  If you have used it, what do you think?  What other Logic programs are there? 

I bought it.  Then I discovered Traditional Logic put out by Memoria Press, authored by Martin Cothran.  I figured out that Nance's logic books were more "mathy," and Cothran's books were more "wordy."  I chose "wordy" because I wanted my kids to get skilled in applying logic to their thinking and writing.

• Like 1

Ah! Just looked up Douglas Wilson on wiki and he's the guy who tried to make it sound like American slavery was a good thing. Yeah, that's why I didn't buy his stuff. Didn't want to support him.

Was he arguing that to show that any side can be argued, like what a lawyer would have to do? Or did he really think that?

Was he arguing that to show that any side can be argued, like what a lawyer would have to do? Or did he really think that?

You can research, but from what I can tell, he believed it. He's suffered a lot of flack about it. There was a post the other day about him being the one who says that Catholics worshipping idols are what is causing Christians to be killed in the middle east, or some such thing. He's extreme in his beliefs.

Google welltrainedmind doug and you'll see a bunch of threads.

But I'm not here to malign the guy. The logic curric could be awesome, but I decided to go with something else because I was uneasy about this guy. But there are other times I haven't liked a company and bought from them anyway, so there you go.

We tried Trad. Logic by Cochran. Snooze fest. 

Should have tried Nance since dd#1 is more math-y than word-y.

Not sure if I'll buy Nance knowing Wilson is a co-author.  :crying:

Might try CAP's Discovery of Deduction if I try it again. 

FWIW, we like Art of Argument in a group setting. Going to do it again starting in Jan for dd#2. But, it isn't 'formal logic.' It covers informal logic - fallacies. Fallacies can be a LOT easier & more fun to study than formal logic, IMO.

• Like 1

My husband used introductory and intermediate logic when he was homeschooled.

He loved it, credits it with thinking in a new way, and absolutely insists we use the course with our kids when they hit high school.

I know nothing about the co-authors beliefs, nor do I find it terribly relevant if the curriculum itself is sound. I don't see people going around examining the personal lives of every author they read. 

I bought it.  Then I discovered Traditional Logic put out by Memoria Press, authored by Martin Cothran.  I figured out that Nance's logic books were more "mathy," and Cothran's books were more "wordy."  I chose "wordy" because I wanted my kids to get skilled in applying logic to their thinking and writing.

We actually used both programs with my four children. They each approached logic in a different way and both had benefits. I'm not certain they enjoyed one over the other, but did benefit from both.

The Jim Nance and Douglas Wilson book is absolutely awful. I looked at it long before I knew who Douglas Wilson was, and was naive in thinking the book might actually be about Formal Logic (rather than having an ideological/theological agenda).

I ws deeply disappointed it was recommended in TWTM. It no longer is, but yikes!

Avoid this one.

Bill

I haven't heard of Jim Nance, so I can't weigh in on that topic.

We're using Critical Thinking Book One and I love it (and DD gives it a thumbs up, too).  It's targeted for 7th grade and up, but we started when DD was 5th grade and are continuing it in 6th grade.  I had very little formal logic in college, but have found most of it turn key.  I've been able to backfill the few concepts I was shaky on very easily.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/critical-thinking-series.html