Menu

Need Christmas Ideas

pinewarbler

In previous years, the xmas lists on this site have been invaluable. So, I'm looking for more! What is everyone planning/ what are kids asking for this time?

For my youngest with lots of programming and some snap circuit experience, I'm looking for something like a solder-less electronics kit, but don't know what kind/ brand. Also ideas for wood carving/ burning.

Up till now, I've bought my creative pre-teen (who doesn't need/ use instructions) supplies for knitting, sewing, some chemistry. For years, she's never asked for anything for xmas, and on top of that is a teenager now... need some inspiration!

Ugh, I am struggling with this too, and my dd had a bday at the beginning of December to worry about too:)

One thing I Did order and am really excited about is a cool chemistry game we played called Compounded. It is a strategy game where players are lab assistants. You try to complete chemicals before others do or your lab explodes:) it is fun and great practice. There is an expansion pack, as well as a Geiger expansion pack:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GEZAHYO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1446822516&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Compound+game&dpPl=1&dpID=51wY5Dq88oL&ref=plSrch

• Like 3

My December boys haven't come up with their birthday wish lists so I am following this thread :)

ETA:

DS9 wants a new binoculars to replace my worn out one that he is using, microscope and the newer sphero. He also want a bright laptop backpack to replace his all black one.

For my youngest with lots of programming and some snap circuit experience, I'm looking for something like a solder-less electronics kit, but don't know what kind/ brand. Also ideas for wood carving/ burning.

Have you looked at Little Bits?  DS hooked his Little Bits up to the Lego castle so he could use a switch to make the gate go up and down.

And I keep thinking about Arduino, but DS doesn't seem very interested - yet.  I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before his love of programming and circuits comes together and he starts insisting he needs some Arduino components.

You could get a subscription to Make magazine.  Or check out the Maker Shed shop for lots of cool STEM gift ideas.

• Like 1

15 yo daughter--we do family presents on Yule, then stockings for Christmas. She got a new laptop this summer, so likely no electronics.

Stocking: Funko Pop keychains (Jack Skellington, Capt. America), a Kimmi kokeshi keychain, funky socks (probably from Forever 21 and Hot Topic), candy, sesame sticks, itunes gift card

Yule: not sure yet, possibilities include dvds (Man from UNCLE, Iron Man 3), books (from her Amazon wishlist---authors include John Green, Brenna Yovanoff, Rainbow Rowell, John Flanagan, Gayle Forman, Scott Tracey, Catherine Fisher,  Katherine Howe, Kendall Kulper),  Supernatural fingerless gloves from Hot Topic, t-shirt from Hot Topic (Black Widow, Castiel, Agent Carter), Pink Floyd knit cap, Cthulhu Funko Pop, 

• Like 1

So far, DS (not quite 3) is getting:

Dollhouse w/ Accessories, Dressing Frames, Raincoat, Stories for 4 & 5 Year Olds (collections of fables, fairy tales & poems), Guess Who, Diggers & Trucks SNAP!

We are also considering Sum Swamp, Race to the Treasure, SET Junior, Rush Hour Jr, Super Why ABC Game, Paw Patrol On a Roll Marshall

His Bday is in February & while going to Disney (in lieu of a party) will be the main gift, he will probably also get whatever I listed that he doesn't recieve for Christmas.

DS has serious camping equipment on his list, and DD has barn/horse items on her list. Normally I struggle for ideas, but this year, I am a font of ideas! Not sure about stockings, though...I don't like to spend a ton of money on stockings, so it can be difficult to come up with meaningful small ideas there.

We live overseas, so I had to have my mom bring almost everything with her.  I'm happy to say that I'm all done shopping!

4 yo - Magformers extension kit, Chocolate Fix (Think Fun game), Bernstein Bears Big Book of Science and Nature, Play-Doh, an easel and art supplies

Stocking - Tell Tales Fairy Tale game, Spot It Basic French, colorful popsicle sticks  (He loves them. Who knew you could do so much with them?)

9 yo - Biology coloring book, Anatomy coloring book, Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, Risk Star Wars edition, Star Wars chess game, action figures for the new Star Wars movie (He is very excited about the new Star Wars movie!)

Stocking - Levenger Circa discs to corral his index card obsession, Roger von Oech's Star Ball, donations to his favorite science websites

Love the Compounded game idea.  Will be buying that for the future.  

• 2 weeks later...

Up till now, I've bought my creative pre-teen (who doesn't need/ use instructions) supplies for knitting, sewing, some chemistry. For years, she's never asked for anything for xmas, and on top of that is a teenager now... need some inspiration!

My daughter received a beading loom when she was about ten.  She's still using it, and she's now in her twenties.  She uses a loom such as this:

Beadalon Beading Loom

She uses size 11 beads.

Regards,

Kareni