Menu

Exercise Thread- Nov. 1st- 7th

rieshy

Went for a run. I'm trying a new run slow to run fast thing. That sort of drove me nuts. Anybody use a HR monitor and have suggestions? Because checking it every 1/2 Mile is going to drive me bonkers.

If the HR monitor is Bluetooth enabled and you have a smart phone, an App like MapMyRun can interface with it. MMR gives audio feedback and you can set the interval to a half mile. You just have to make sure it's compatible with your chosen app.

• Like 2

Went for a run. I'm trying a new run slow to run fast thing. That sort of drove me nuts. Anybody use a HR monitor and have suggestions? Because checking it every 1/2 Mile is going to drive me bonkers.

I'd love a Garmin but am strictly no-tech because I'm cheap:(

This may not be what your are mentioning- I increased my run times last Spring in 3 different ways: 1. by alternating jogging, then running, then sprinting using mailboxes.  I'd do different distances but always in a 3:2:1 ratio with all-out sprints being the shortest.  Usually I'd do it in the middle or 2/3 through a 3-4 mile run.  Sometimes I even walked in between and was often surprised that my runs took less time even with the walking.

2. After a trainer mentioned that my long runs probably were not helping me develop speed in sparring I started to limit my long runs of 5+ miles for just when I needed to de-stress.  No more than once a week or every 2 weeks. He may have been full of baloney but....

3.  I replaced a running slot with just wind sprints up a hill once a week.  Usually 5 sprints of about 20 to 50 yards uphill after a mile jog warm up.  Then I'd walk it out.  

Stadium runs are supposed to be good for speed too but I'm awkward enough to trip and break something.

I'm still not speedy but I did improve.  I really wish you could purchase fast-twitch muscles.

Today- stretching, kicks, core, all low key.

• Like 4

Sunday ended up being a rest day, but today I went for a 4 mile run, then I have power yoga tonight. Happy Monday!

Lisa, I have a heart rate monitor that pairs with my Garmin.  I do use it, but I hate putting it on, especially in the winter. If you don't need or want as something as fancy as a Garmin watch, you could try the Fitbit HR.  I've read it works well.  I do getting a check on my HR.  It helps me know if I'm pushing too hard too often.  Also, there are days that even if I run slowly my HR is up, which means I'm working just as hard.  It's nice to know that. :)

• Like 5

It helps me know if I'm pushing too hard too often. Also, there are days that even if I run slowly my HR is up, which means I'm working just as hard. It's nice to know that. :)

This is one of the reasons why a HR monitor is oh so tempting to me. So far my running budget only covers clothing, though. That seems slightly more important. Maybe.

• Like 4

I did 30 mins of floor work and light weights.  I really, really meant to get 20 or 30 mins of cardio, but I was so sleepy by 5pm that it didn't happen.  Its difficult for me to get up enough gumption to get on the nordic track or do some dance aerobics or kettle ball when it's dark and cold.... But there is always tomorrow!

• Like 5

This is one of the reasons why a HR monitor is oh so tempting to me. So far my running budget only covers clothing, though. That seems slightly more important. Maybe.

I can so relate to this!  But after this conversation I'm tempted by the Fitbit with HR.  

I only got a few hours of sleep last night and today is tutorial day... time for a coffee I.V.   Tonight I have 2 martial arts classes.

• Like 4

They make great Christmas gifts......:)

Major milestone at training today: I did squats with the bar! I had to use straps to assist my arms (the left shoulder still doesn't want to rotate far enough) but I did four sets :D

:party:

Oh my gosh, I was so tired after! My legs, my abs, my arms, whew.

WTG :hurray:

Last night's yoga was great.  Today I did a 90 minute Kundalini practice.  It was tough.  It really worked shoulders, abs and glutes.  I shall be feeling it tomorrow. Going for a 30 minute walk a little later.  It's so warm out, kind of weird. 

• Like 4

I am so impressed with this group!!

I'm going to join in hopes it motivates me. I had great luck this summer with the couch to 5k group. Hoping this has the same effect.

Monday I ran/walked 5 miles. Today I hiked 2.

I need some variety and consistency. My schedule has changed and my habits haven't caught up. I do best if I go right in the morning but the weather is starting to not cooperate. I would like to find a routine to do at home on bad weather days.

• Like 6

3.2 mile run with my buddies today. I fell last night and ended up with some bruises that made running interesting, I felt slow, slow today and the last time I ran which makes me feel a little sad. Dh has to talk me down from my whining.

I hope you feel good this morning!

Today a friend is coming over to drill jujitsu with me for an hour or so.  Tonight I have 5+ hours on the mat at MMA work/play.

I'm really slacking on my running but there is only so much time in the day.  

Spin kicking and core work was my October goal- I didn't live up to the full goal but I did do more than I would if I hadn't set the goal.  For November my goal is to go to bed by 10:30 every night.  

• Like 5

I'm trying to be more consistent. (i was. once. . . . )

I did yoga three times last week, which was okay. i guess.

did yoga monday and tuesday, and have done about half my practice this morning (things came up for time.).  I plan on finishing.

I also did the NT for 11 minutes Tuesday . . . plan on doing more today.

• Like 6

I have a nasty head cold, so I didn't get up and run before taking my boys on their field trip today.  I volunteered to drive for the school for their trip.  We went on a 3.5 mile hike.  It was nice, would have been nicer if I wasn't sick. It was my first time on that trail and to that park, so it was good.  I may have a friend take my older son to co-op tomorrow, which means no hot yoga.  It is doable when you have a head cold (the heat makes you feel good), but I feel so wiped, I just want to sleep.  

• Like 2

Posting very late on Wednesday...I should go to bed

yesterday I did get in a sort of a workout.  I did the best I could given we are one adults short in the house this week.

Today I knuckled down (as much as one can knuckle down for a 30 min workout) and did my tracy anderson workout at 8:30pm.  Go team!

And now it is 1:15 and I really need to get my sorry butt into bed

• Like 4

Today is a rest day. I'm not sure of it will be active or total rest. It depends on when the new fridge will be delivered---sometime between 2:30 and 4:30, so if it comes on the early side I can go for a walk before dark. I don't know how motivated I would be to exercise indoors after dinner, you know?

• Like 2

Today is the second of two rest days, but the weather is so nice it feels likeI should have been doing something outside. Yesterday I just followed ,y kids and niece around on the playground and stood around a lot supervising. On the other hand, my bruised knee (a very uniquely shaped brusie given what I fell on) is a bit sore and I am going for a long-ish run tomorrow. It was originally going to be 6 miles again, but next week is the 5mi Turkey Trot and I'd like to be fast (for me) when I cross the finish line. So, 4 miles or maybe just stick with a 5K?

I was lamenting my lack of half-marathon buddy since dh was going to run one next year with a friend from work earlier to the family, but then this morning I got a text from my sister wanting to know if I wanted to run the women's half with her next June so running buddy problem solved! Totally didn't picture her as a runner... I guess you never know.

• Like 2

Today is a rest day. I'm not sure of it will be active or total rest. It depends on when the new fridge will be delivered---sometime between 2:30 and 4:30, so if it comes on the early side I can go for a walk before dark. I don't know how motivated I would be to exercise indoors after dinner, you know?

yes, I do know.  I know very, very well.  And the answer is, not very, lol.

Actually, once you get over the initial hump it's not that difficult, this thread helps a whole lot, but it can be So Hard to change into exercise clothes at that time of day.  And in the absolute dark of winter, dh will often exercise with me...or at least he used to.  He actually liked barre workouts b/c they favor the needs of runners. He thinks they are wonderful for legs, butt and abs, everything he needs to run better, and think more male runners should consider barre workouts. He also finds them challenging as heck!  However, I am not sure I can convince him to do a Tracy Anderson workout. He's not someone who judges things as being 'girly' or 'not manly' but Tracy might be a bridge too far even for him, lol.

But maybe you can find a workout that you and your dh can do together?  DH and I did P90X one winter (I did it badly FTR) and we dipped in and out of Insanity another winter. We also do yoga and kettlebell workouts on long dark winter evenings. Here in upstate NY, you really have to be creative to get exercise during the winter.  It's not just the cold, but the snow and ice and slush covered sidewalks that make walking or running dangerous.  And you can't run in the roads b/c the snowbanks make the roads very, very narrow and a car would take you out.

I wish I could say I slept in.  I need to get an acupuncture treatment, but it's not going to be this week b/c dh is out of town until Saturday night. So, that means no treatment until the following Saturday. 

• Like 3

been consistent with yoga this week.  did a (very old form of) shiatsu massage this morning.  wow.  some things just REALLY REALLY hurt when he started.  but he said the circulatory system will start moving better.  (and I have noticed somethings.)  I'm very curious to see how my yoga practice goes tomorrow.  but considering how he said it will also cause my body to dump a lot of toxins - I may not want to do yoga tomorrow.

he did say two things people can do everyday to improve their condition is drink 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda in 4oz water daily (reduces acidity in the body.  I've seen references to that other places), and breathe from the diaphragm.

• Like 4

I got my workout in, so yay!  I wonder what it says about me that a 30 mins workout takes me 45 mins and I am dying when it is over.  Nothing good, I am sure.

I think it says, "Wahoo, you go girl." 

Today is a total rest day.  My body is spent.  Last night we went extra long and extra hard at MMA with jujitsu free-rolling afterwards.  I could feel all the energy surging out of my body and today I feel empty.  Like a fire hose that's been disconnected and has gone flat.

I've got to figure out how to get more sleep and rest or I'm going to be in overtraining mode and injure myself.  Especially since in January my Saturday MMA training sessions bump from 2 hours to 4+ hours because of a team I'll train with.  I feel old.  I'm already at MMA 13 hours a week- though not all of it is hard trainging since I'm also assisting with kids.  But all of it is on my feet hours and even with the younger kids I never know when I'll be doing something intense along with them. 

Last night I promised myself I'd go easy during my classes.  But I'm like a kid in a candy store with no self-control.  I could have left and not free-rolled but.... it's so fun- even when I'm so tired that I'm doing lousy and getting tapped out.

Anyway, I googled overtraining and thought it was an interesting set of articles.

• Like 4

2 hours open mat. I got to work on a form called Bassai and spar and roll with my 7 yo ds. He's so cute- but that would offend him. I also got to roll with the head Sensei. So fun. He always rolls just hard enough to let you try techniques without squashing you so quickly that you are demoralized. I hope to learn to do that when I become an upper belt.

• Like 3

Spent a couple of hours during yard work this morning (sooooo many leaves!). Ran 6 miles with my people and got my first blister. Got myself some new running socks and insoles for my shoes. Hoping to make this my last blister.

Overall today I ended up north of 18k steps.

• Like 2