Menu

history options other than SOTW

ktgrok

We will probably start SOTW next year. However, it gets more detailed than I particularly want...sometimes I feel like it is a bit easy to miss the forest for the trees with it. I'd also prefer something that does one culture at a time...less jumping around. 

Sonlight jumps around too much too, from book to book each day and is harder to follow than I want. 

I don't want anything with a zillion moving parts.

We're Catholic, so nothing offensive to Catholics. I'm not super sensitive about it, and we are using and have used for my oldest plenty of Protestant stuff, because it works. But nothing outright offensive. 

I'm using Notgrass with my highschooler this year, and find I kind of like textbooks (shudder, I know....). 

Any thoughts?

Haven't used the Queen stuff.

We like MOH. I'm not Catholic (used to be ... still have a lot of love and respect for the Catholic church) and I think it's very Catholic friendly. I alter the pace heavily and supplement too but I like it as a spine. It does jump around a little bit like SOTW but I think she does bring out the "big picture" as well.

• Like 1

There is Memoria Press.  Definitely a different approach, but with their Famous Men series you are camping out for a long time with each civilization.  They are also a very Catholic friendly company.  Many of their users are Catholic.

We're using A Child's History of the World as a spine and lots of library books to expand on each culture.  The book does jump around a bit, but I'm finding it pretty easy to still read all the chapters in order but focus on one civilization at a time.  

Are you looking for World History in chronological order?  If you're willing to start with American History then I'd suggest A Living History of Our World http://jellybeanjar.org/product-category/a-living-history-of-our-world/. It's very Charlotte Mason inspired, and she's working on completing the curriculum for world history.  Or, America from the Beginning by Answers in Genesis https://answersingenesis.org/store/product/america-beginning/?sku=40-1-403.

Otherwise, did you know that there used to be a series called "Story of the World" before Susan Wise Bauer ever used that title?  You may want to look into those and see if they may be what you want, here's a link explaining more about them, http://www.mainlesson.com/main/synge.php. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Are you looking for World History in chronological order?  If you're willing to start with American History then I'd suggest A Living History of Our World http://jellybeanjar.org/product-category/a-living-history-of-our-world/. It's very Charlotte Mason inspired, and she's working on completing the curriculum for world history.  Or, America from the Beginning by Answers in Genesis https://answersingenesis.org/store/product/america-beginning/?sku=40-1-403.

Otherwise, did you know that there used to be a series called "Story of the World" before Susan Wise Bauer ever used that title?  You may want to look into those and see if they may be what you want, here's a link explaining more about them, http://www.mainlesson.com/main/synge.php. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Hmm, I found at least one error in the first page I read of the Living History one.... theindians that farmed didn't move around, and didn't live in tipis. And Answers in Genesis just isn't on my radar...but thank you. I will check out the older Story of the World. 

Seton has an American History for 1st grade, maybe I'll do that and then go to A Child's History of the World in 2nd?

Or Beautiful Feet books, at our own pace. 

We have used A Child's History of the World.  I can't see it being any more difficult for Catholics than SOTW.  I know you can get a sort of study guide to go with it, but I haven't used it and can't say if it is any good.  We just narrated and did map work.  My kids seemed to really enjoy it as a story.

• Like 1

We have used A Child's History of the World.  I can't see it being any more difficult for Catholics than SOTW.  I know you can get a sort of study guide to go with it, but I haven't used it and can't say if it is any good.  We just narrated and did map work.  My kids seemed to really enjoy it as a story.

Do you think it would work for first grade? Or better for a bit older? 

I just found this,  http://elementalscience.com/collections/adventures-in-america andI'm going to add it into our rotation here and there. The ebook version is only $16 for both teacher guide and student notebook! We probably won't do the state study, I think that's a bit much for this age, but the stories are just the right length and cover topics I want to cover. 

• Like 1

I just found this, and I'm going to add it into our rotation here and there. The ebook version is only $16 for both teacher guide and student notebook! We probably won't do the state study, I think that's a bit much for this age, but the stories are just the right length and cover topics I want to cover. 

Were you referencing the book linked in the post right above this one? 

I use Adventures in America with my 1st graders (started in Kindy).  It's good; my kids enjoy it.  But, I find it lacking something.  We read the extras and my kids love them.  But, I still think we are missing a spine.  It could just be that my son enjoys early American history so much that I find it hard to keep up.  But, the program is good, if a little sparse.  I'm glad you started this post.  I'm going to look into adding the Child's First Book of American History linked above.

For world history, I read CHOW last year to my 7yo and 6yo. This year (with a 7yo and 8yo), I'm starting a history cycle of some sort and we're using an out of print book (that you can still get on Amazon) called _Builders of the Old World_ by Gertrude Hartman. It seems to group information about civilizations together instead of strict chronological/jumping around from place to place.

I'm liking it.

I chose OUP Ancient World series for my 10yo for the same reason. 

(ETA: I feel compelled to say that I am not selling this book on Amazon, and I don't get money for recommending it. Thanks, I feel better now. :) )