Menu

The agent just responded...

She said no. :crying:

Really, it's ok. She was my first try, & while I *think* the 1st book is good enough on its own, I know it's *much* better w/ the other 2. (It's a trilogy.) So maybe book 1 needs work. Or maybe I need a different agent. She *was* friendly, though, & did read it.

Her response:

Thank you so much for letting me read your novel. There was much here I admired, but I am afraid I am not enthusiastic enough to feel I am a good fit for this. I know another agent will feel differently, and I wish you all the best

Really, it's ok. She was my first try, & while I *think* the 1st book is good enough on its own, I know it's *much* better w/ the other 2. (It's a trilogy.) So maybe book 1 needs work. Or maybe I need a different agent. She *was* friendly, though, & did read it.

Her response:

Thank you so much for letting me read your novel. There was much here I admired, but I am afraid I am not enthusiastic enough to feel I am a good fit for this. I know another agent will feel differently, and I wish you all the best

It will happen Aubrey! You've gotten this far!

I was just thinking of you and this situation this morning, wondering if I had missed an announcement. Don't give up . . . keep trying. It's disappointing when things to work out like we want. Keep up the dream though. I think it's great to hear you have four kids, homeschool and work on a project that you love.

Maybe we can have a "Sending a manuscript to one agent and getting rejected isn't reason enough to quit" club.

I'm right there with you. One rejection, and a list of agents' names staring me in the face, and looking longer every day.

:grouphug:

You can do it! Get it out to the next one, quick!

Her response:

What've we got, ESP or something!? Just discussing this, we were. *cue Twilight Zone music*

I'm sorry for the "no", Aubrey. But, let me just tell you how much your positive attitude about it sends a great message to the rest of us! And, she was really very positive in her reply.

I was just reading this morning about a woman who has become a successful children's book author. She says that for every ten books rejected, one gets accepted. Wow. :blink: But, did you catch that part? -- she is SUCCESSFUL!!!

Must. Keep. Trying.

What've we got, ESP or something!? Just discussing this, we were. *cue Twilight Zone music*

I'm sorry for the "no", Aubrey. But, let me just tell you how much your positive attitude about it sends a great message to the rest of us! And, she was really very positive in her reply.

I was just reading this morning about a woman who has become a successful children's book author. She says that for every ten books rejected, one gets accepted. Wow. :blink: But, did you catch that part? -- she is SUCCESSFUL!!!

Must. Keep. Trying.

Yeah, weird, huh? I have to say, Doran, I think 10 is a generous number. I've heard it's more like 32.

Let me ask you this. Based on her reply, should I tweak the novel? Or just keep sending it for now? Because here's what I'm afraid of: the plot twists in books 2 & 3 make the story really good, imo. So book 1 is good, but books 2 & 3 are more edge-of-your-seat, iykwim.

Do I change book 1? Do I send books 1-3 to Him Who Asks To Read based on my query for#1? Do I combine books 1-3 & make them One Book?

Having not read them, what say you?

As far as my attitude, well...I *expected* a no, because that's what they tell you to expect. Really, this was a little friendlier than a no. What I *didn't* expect is how crummy I'd feel anyway, lol. That I'd want to take the day off school to sulk & find another agent to query. :lol:

I don't know if you read my reply to your last post about whether you should write her or not, but my response is still the same. If you aren't part of an active writer's loop, if you want success, you need to be. Good loops are made up of published and non-published writers. Most published writers like to "give back" the hints and tips that got them there (b/c 99% of them didn't do it on their own.....they did it from the same sort of help.)

My sister is published through CBA (several different publishers). She went through several agents before she found the one that now represents her. She had many published "loop" friends that helped her get where she is now.

So....if you aren't part of a loop, join one. They can critique your letters, your summaries, your chapter submissions. They can recommend agents, they can "whisper" in agents ears, etc. They can even tell you whether that reply was a nice reply, a canned reply, etc.

I am not sure which market you are going after.......

Karen

I don't know if you read my reply to your last post about whether you should write her or not, but my response is still the same. If you aren't part of an active writer's loop, if you want success, you need to be. Good loops are made up of published and non-published writers. Most published writers like to "give back" the hints and tips that got them there (b/c 99% of them didn't do it on their own.....they did it from the same sort of help.)

My sister is published through CBA (several different publishers). She went through several agents before she found the one that now represents her. She had many published "loop" friends that helped her get where she is now.

So....if you aren't part of a loop, join one. They can critique your letters, your summaries, your chapter submissions. They can recommend agents, they can "whisper" in agents ears, etc. They can even tell you whether that reply was a nice reply, a canned reply, etc.

I am not sure which market you are going after.......

Karen

I remember you mentioning this before, & I was kind-of waiting to see what happened w/ this first.

So what is a writer's loop? Is it like this message board? Or in person? LOL--sorry to sound (be) so ignorant about it.

The genre of this novel is young adult. There are really plenty of agents from which to choose, but looking at what they've represented is OVERLY helpful in narrowing the choices. If you know what I mean! :001_huh:

Aubrey...truly, keep at it. Evaluating fiction...well, there's just so much that's subjective. We know this is true from everyday experience (you loved a book, your best friend hated it). But it is surprisingly true in publishing as well. It might not have floated her boat, but for the next agent, it will. And when it does, then he or she can really get behind it and shop it to the right publisher.