Menu

Does gluten FREE pasta make anyone else sick?

So, two members of my house are GF and we usually just eat a lot of rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, etc. normally we don't buy "GF foods" other than their bread.

But once in a while I have a hankering for pasta, and EVERY TIME I eat the GF whole grain pastas I get really sick!  Hours of nausea.  I have tried several different brands, too.

Isn't that weird?

Have you looked at the ingredient lists to see what they have in common?  Sometimes people have problems with bean flours - soy, garbanzo, fava, etc. - and some people have trouble digesting potato flour or corn flour.  FWIW, I only buy Tinkyada rice pasta, and we haven't had any problems with that. 

If you're really sensitive to gluten you might have to get a new colander if that's what you use to drain the pasta water. If you've ever used the colander to drain regular pasta there will probably be some microscopic gluten particles that are impossible to wash away that could be making you sick.

My daughter is extremely gluten sensitive and I've had to replace all my colanders, cutting boards, slotted spoons and spatulas to make her food. Anything that has a hole or a deep groove had to be replaced because of cross contamination. Unbelievably, it has made a difference.

• Like 2

I will echo that it may be the sauce. We use TJs rice pasta fwiw if you have not tried it yet.

But now no one here has trouble with pasta because I got a spiralizer and use zukes for every pasta thing other than chicken noodle soup.

Agree with prior posters.First, get yourself a new colander you can dedicate to GF and see if that helps. It is extremely hard to get a colander totally clean. Also I would dedicate a spoon or two.  If you still get sick, look at common ingredients to see if there is a pattern. 

I can't eat gluten free foods--really any of them.  I really wish I could, but I just can't.  They all make me sick.  I cook mostly paleo recipes for times when I want a substitute for grains--they use almond flour and coconut flour usually and I do fine with those.  I'm eating Paleo chocolate chip cookies right now!