Menu

Is this something worthy of medical attention?

Greta

Age 41 has not exactly been my best health year so far. :( I went into perimenopause rather suddenly almost a year ago now, and I'm having several unpleasant symptoms associated with that. So I'm assuming that what I'm about to describe is just part of that, and not indicative of a problem.

Almost every day since about May or June (and continuing now) I get really queasy right around or shortly after lunch time. Nauseated, like I might vomit, only I never do actually vomit. It continues to get worse, reaching it's peak of awfulness right at the time that I have to cook dinner for my husband and daughter! Great fun, cooking when the sight, smell, or even thought of food is almost enough to send you running to the bathroom. I don't eat dinner, but the horrible queasiness starts to subside a couple of hours after dinner. By bedtime, I'm feeling normal again, and eat a light snack before I retire for the night. Next day, repeat.

The pattern broke for a short time when we had cooler weather. It's hot again now, and it's back.

Short of moving to a part of the world where it never gets above 80 degrees F, is there anything I can do about this?

You know... if it's causing disruption to your life, it is worth seeing the doctor. It may be "just hormones" but it's bothering you so it worth getting checked out IMO.

I'm supposed to have a re-check with the doctor who is helping me with my other symptoms. This wasn't really an issue when I saw her, so of course we didn't discuss it. I've been putting off the re-check just for financial reasons, but maybe I should go ahead and schedule it. Thanks. :)

Interesting. I am nearly the same age and have had unusual bouts of nausea on and off for awhile. I had attributed it to just whatever was going around during those times, that I thought I had a milder version with only nausea rather than vomiting. I never thought about a different reason before reading your post.

I encourage you to bring it up with your doctor—I plan to bring it up with my gyn the next time I have an appointment.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Definitely talk to your doctor about it then. My understanding is that doctors will start with a low dose and raise it until the symptoms have gone.

((((((((((((((((((Greta)))))))))))))))))))

I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

I would see a doctor, just to make sure.  I haven't heard of nausea with menopause, but on the other hand, I'm in my 50's now and apparently went through menopause like a breeze!  However, I've had a weird stomach all my life.  I feel slightly nauseated every morning and can barely eat until about 10am.  Some days, I'm like that all day.  It's been this way all my life, so I don't even think about it anymore.  But if your symptoms are new, I'd probably check them out.  It probably is hormone related, but your doctor might have some ideas.

• Like 1

Definitely talk to your doctor about it then. My understanding is that doctors will start with a low dose and raise it until the symptoms have gone.

((((((((((((((((((Greta)))))))))))))))))))

I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you!!! :)

I would see a doctor, just to make sure. I haven't heard of nausea with menopause, but on the other hand, I'm in my 50's now and apparently went through menopause like a breeze! However, I've had a weird stomach all my life. I feel slightly nauseated every morning and can barely eat until about 10am. Some days, I'm like that all day. It's been this way all my life, so I don't even think about it anymore. But if your symptoms are new, I'd probably check them out. It probably is hormone related, but your doctor might have some ideas.

Wow, that sounds pretty rough. I don't get hungry for breakfast until I've been awake for a few hours, but I'm not usually queasy during that time. Glad you got through menopause so easily, though!

• Like 1

Wow, that sounds pretty rough. I don't get hungry for breakfast until I've been awake for a few hours, but I'm not usually queasy during that time. Glad you got through menopause so easily, though!

I've never considered it rough because that's how I've always been!  :)  I didn't realize it was unusual for a long time!

• Like 1

My first thought was: That sounds just like me when I had morning sickness with my pregnancies. It was always at its worst in the afternoon / evening hours.

I wish it were the hormones of pregnancy instead of the hormones of dying ovaries. :lol:

That sounds a lot like gastroparesis. I would get to a doctor and have that checked out.

I'd never heard of this before, but read a description of it, and my symptoms do sound similar. It mentioned blood sugar problems, which I do have. I think the hormone fluctuations I've been having are probably the most likely explanation, but I will ask my doc about this to be sure. Thanks!

I got that way after a small gas leak in the house. It took us months to figure it out. Also, the HRT might be doing it to you, have you checked your glucose reading during an episode? Just thought I would add some more possible causes in the mix.

• Like 2

I got that way after a small gas leak in the house. It took us months to figure it out. Also, the HRT might be doing it to you, have you checked your glucose reading during an episode? Just thought I would add some more possible causes in the mix.

Interesting thoughts! Thanks. My husband has commented before that he wonders if there's something weird going on with our house, because he starts to feel ill when he stays home for several days on end. I thought it was just him, to be honest! :) Checking my glucose during an episode is a great idea, and one that I've never done. I will do that if it strikes again today. I sure hope it isn't the HRT doing it. I'm on a low dose, and I'm using it primarily to treat migraines. I guess it's better to be queasy every day than it is to have migraines 5 or 6 days a week like I was (down to 2 with the HRT). So I'll stick with the HRT even if it's the problem.

Thanks again!

Age 41 has not exactly been my best health year so far. :( I went into perimenopause rather suddenly almost a year ago now, and I'm having several unpleasant symptoms associated with that. So I'm assuming that what I'm about to describe is just part of that, and not indicative of a problem.

Almost every day since about May or June (and continuing now) I get really queasy right around or shortly after lunch time. Nauseated, like I might vomit, only I never do actually vomit. It continues to get worse, reaching it's peak of awfulness right at the time that I have to cook dinner for my husband and daughter! Great fun, cooking when the sight, smell, or even thought of food is almost enough to send you running to the bathroom. I don't eat dinner, but the horrible queasiness starts to subside a couple of hours after dinner. By bedtime, I'm feeling normal again, and eat a light snack before I retire for the night. Next day, repeat.

The pattern broke for a short time when we had cooler weather. It's hot again now, and it's back.

Short of moving to a part of the world where it never gets above 80 degrees F, is there anything I can do about this?

I've already been through menopause and this doesn't sound remotely related to me.

Maybe get some blood work, or some allergy work? 

You can have really strange symptoms from allergies to some substance you are ingesting in some way. 

Edited:  You are taking HRT?  That's probably it.  It's a side effect.  Aren't you still having periods at 41?  Why do you need that?   If it helps at all, migraines got more frequent around my period as I neared the end, and stopped abruptly afterward.  Yay. 

I've never taken any of that.  I did try progesterone cream once for a couple of days.  It made me angry...like in a rage.  It was really weird.  I stopped and it stopped.  The body is a weird thing. 

• Like 1

I've already been through menopause and this doesn't sound remotely related to me.

Maybe get some blood work, or some allergy work?

You can have really strange symptoms from allergies to some substance you are ingesting in some way.

Edited: You are taking HRT? That's probably it. It's a side effect. Aren't you still having periods at 41? Why do you need that? If it helps at all, migraines got more frequent around my period as I neared the end, and stopped abruptly afterward. Yay.

I've never taken any of that. I did try progesterone cream once for a couple of days. It made me angry...like in a rage. It was really weird. I stopped and it stopped. The body is a weird thing.

Yes, I'm still having (occasional, erratic) periods. My motivation for taking the HRT was the huge increase in migraines: having a migraine 6 days out of 7 means basically not having a life. If the nausea is a side effect, then I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. :( It's still better than migraines!

Yes, I'm still having (occasional, erratic) periods. My motivation for taking the HRT was the huge increase in migraines: having a migraine 6 days out of 7 means basically not having a life. If the nausea is a side effect, then I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. :( It's still better than migraines!

Did things like Advil migraine not work?  Could it be food-related?  Migraines are caused by a lot of foods and additives in susceptible people. 

No, unfortunately, the many other treatments I have tried did not work. And the pattern is very clear that my migraines are hormone-triggered and not food related. I really wish that it was something that I had control over, like food. Well, unless it was my favorite foods, then I guess I wouldn't be too happy! :)