Menu

Telluride CO and surrounding area..ideas?

angelica

We're planning a last minute mountain biking trip with our 2 boys (5 and 9). Going to North rim grand canyon for a day or two to explore and ride the rainbow rim trail. From there we thought of going to Durango, CO to to do the scenic Silverton train ride and bike, perhaps venture over to Telluride and ride the gondola. Anyone recommendations or things to do from people who have been there, or live there? 

My husband is off of work until the 19th when he starts a new job so this will be our first long road trip (5 days max). We will be camping which is something we do all the time but we've never ventured off this far with the kids so we're excited and nervous.

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks!

Plan your route through Monument Valley, UT.

See Casa Verde.

Monument Valley is beautiful, took that route when we went to Moab.

Ouray and Mesa Verde might be possible. Husband thinks says he'd like to get a hotel for a night or two, maybe in Telluride, but we'll see. I think we'll be on the 550 (million dollar highway) for a while then cut over to the 145 to Telluride. I'm horrible at routing but more ideas I can give him the better.

Next weekend is the fair in Tuba City, AZ, on the Navajo Nation. The Hopis who live in the village across the road also contribute to the festivities with dancing, etc., and artisans from other neighboring tribes come to sell their wares.

Did you mean you wanted to bike the Hermit Road Greenway Trail? That's on the South Rim.

My understanding is that the Rainbow Rim trail is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, not the South Rim. Also, the trail is rated at moderately difficult, so not sure it is going to be at all do-able for a 5yo, and may be more than a 9yo could handle. From this article on Rainbow Rim and other biking trails at the Grand Canyon Park website, the trail is remote -- 30 miles of driving on a dirt road to access the trail head -- and there are no campsites, no facilities, and no water, so you must come well prepared. Also, the North Rim is at a higher elevation and weather gets bad, with rain and even snow, starting mid- to late-October. The park services at the North Rim are only open from May 15 to Oct. 15, after which the North Rim is open only for day-use until Dec. 1st, or when snow closes Highway 67 (which can happen in November). 

And, driving from the South Rim to the North Rim requires going all the way to one end of the canyon and then back around the other side, as there are no bridges. It is about 220 miles/ 5-6 hour drive from one rim to the other.

Here is the Autumn 2015 Grand Canyon Nat'l Park Guide, with info on trails, hours, facilities, maps, etc. If you are camping, and you want to camp in Grand Canyon Nat'l Park, you need to make advance reservations -- the facilities fill up fast, and you can't count on there being any openings when you arrive.

Which direction are you coming from?

If your first stop is the Grand Canyon, which direction are you coming from to access it? If traveling north to reach the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, you might spend a little time in Flagstaff and enjoy a tour of the Lowell Observatory.

Another possible train option:

Camp or stay in Williams, AZ, and take the train from Williams, up to the Grand Canyon. Don't know if you would also be able to take your bikes on the train, but for just a day trip, that would be a lot of fun.

Camping:

We have camped at White Horse Lake campground, south of Williams  -- oops, never mind! -- I just found on their site that their season closes on Sept. 30. Where-ever you camp, be well-prepared for the possibility of rain, and esp. for the possibility of very chilly camping, as Northern AZ and CO cool down quickly after mid-Sept., and have been known to have snow in Oct. As a family, we've done tons of tent-camping, and mid-September is MY limit to what is comfortable for camping in these types of areas, due to weather considerations. ;)

Also: do be aware that MANY campsites in these areas close down for the season at the end of Sept. to mid-Oct., so you definitely want to do your research to know that you will have a place to set up camp (whether tent camping or RV camping) BEFORE you leave. Or, make sure you can afford and can find a motel where ever you are going, in case of weather-related emergency shelter. :)

Four Corners:

The South Rim is about 5.5 hours away from Durango, CO, if you US-160; about 20 minutes off of US-160 is Four Corners, the only place in the U.S. where 4 states have a common boundary point; that might be fun for a quick detour. The landscape is very desolate in that area.

Durango:

- doing the Durango-Silver train usually requires advance reservations; it takes 3.5 hours EACH way (depart 8:45am, return 6pm); would your 5yo have the patience for that? It's pretty scenery, but I remember doing it when I was a kid (about 12yo), and after the novelty wore off (30 minutes), it felt like a long car-trip; but if you all are big train buffs, it will likely be more interesting to you :) There are also open-air gondola cars, which are great for the view, but miserable if the weather turns cold or wet.

- in Durango: a toy shop; a candy shop; the Powerhouse Science Center

- outdoor activities: zip lines; rock climbing; horseback riding; tubing on the Animas River Animas River Walk

- Mesa Verde Indian Ruins (40 minutes west of Durango)

Telluride is about 2.5 hours north of Durango; kid-friendly attractions include:

- hiking, biking, and walking trails

- the free gondola up to Mountain Village -- enjoy climbing on Adventure Rock up there

- Telluride Town Park fishing pond (for ages 12 and under -- free fishing rods can be checked out at the Information Center at Town Park)

One last thought: since DC are still pretty young, you are camping, and you only have 5 days total (so: 2 days for long hours of travel and set-up/tear down at beginning and end of your time, which only leaves 3 full days for doing/sightseeing sandwiched in between). I personally would be cautious about much of the time being spent on long drives to get to a new site, actually DO something tiring (biking), and then having to set up/tear down camping gear to move on the next day to another site. It might be a bit more relaxing to drive, set up, spend 2 nights in one site; move to a second location no more than 2-3 hours away, and set up your second camp, and spend 2 nights there, and then drive home on the 5th day.

From our experience of an 18-day trip pulling a hybrid-trailer (so, RV camping) and doing a big loop that included major natural wonder is six states: AZ, UT, ID, WA, OR, and CA, it can be difficult to really *enjoy* your sightseeing if you're spending most of your time on the road or setting up/tearing down because you're trying to jam in so many sites. Just my 2 cents worth! ;)

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL time, and that it will be very refreshing! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

This is nowhere near Durango (5 hours away or so and over a mountain pass) but it's a cool place if you're in the Colorado Springs or Pueblo area.

Went both places on a motorcycle trip when I was 15. Say "Colorado" and is the first thing I think of.

I remember the Durango Silverton being a long day, but Silverton was fun.

Another vote for Mesa Verde. :)

The train ride from Williams to the South Rim is something that I suspect two young boys would really like. The train gets boarded and "robbed" by cowboys. I was actually pretty impressed to see how fast those horses galloped up to catch the train. Not experienced with horses, but it looked fast to me! I don't know if they do that year round, or if it was a special occasion when we were there, but it was fun. A lot more fun for kids than the long ride from Durango to Silverton. But check on that website as well, because at certain times of year they do have shorter "excursion" rides. We did a Thomas the Tank Engine ride there when my dd was just a little thing. It was a very short ride, but she loved it. (She was 4 or 5 at the time.)

Everyone says to stay in the Strater in Durango. I've never stayed there myself - they've always been booked when we were there! So I guess make your reservations early if you want to do that.

Oh, and that reminds me, South Rim lodging books up well in advance! If you want to spend a night there and haven't already made arrangements, do so asap. And the day before your trip, call them again to ask if they've had any cancellations. We did that and got upgraded to a room with an absolutely breath-taking view. The rooms at the South Rim are kind of small and fairly pricey, but that view made it worth it. I've never camped there, but I've heard the campgrounds are nice.

How fun! Enjoy!

ETA: Sorry - you did say you'd be camping. When we camp, my limit is two nights, and then I demand a hotel with a real shower and a real bed, so I guess I was picturing the same for you. You're probably not a wimp like I am. :D

The science museum in Drango was shut down when we were there this summer.

My DS was not interested in the long train ride, but there is a nice museum at the train station that I think was free. We also liked the Fish Hatchery and Wildlife museum. It is small, but free.

Mesa verde was great. The Spruce Tree House cliff dwelling are easiest to get to. There is a paved trail right down to it. The walk back up was difficult from my overwieght and out of shape self, but not too bad for my DS. The other cliff dwelling involve ladders and crawling through tunnels, so I did not try any of those. There is also a driving tour with many stops to see different types of ruins.

Wow thank you all for the replies! My mistake, we were headed from Phoenix to north rim, not south and ended up with a wonderful campsite right on the rim! I think it was one of the only on the rim sites and lucked out considering we got there at around 5;30 and had just enough time to setup camp before sunset. It was tricky to find but we made it. Next day rode the rainbow rim and had a great little workout clocking in at 6.7 miles.

Dh pulled the trailabike with the 5 year old and our 9 year did better than I expected. It definitely was challenging but worth it. After our ride we just hung out at campsite and packed up first thing in the morning and drove to Telluride, and here we are. We didn't have enough time to make it to Mesa Verde on the way though so we'll try and get that on the way back...

Husband boards a plane Sunday for a week of training for a new job, and we check out tomorrow so not sure we have the time to make it to Durango after all. I'm just thankful we're getting a little vacation time in together. Today we plan on riding the gondola, fishing (thanks Lori D for info on fishing poles!), and riding some trails.  Any other ideas for this area, or things that would be on the way back to Phoenix, please share!