Menu

Oglethorpe, GA? Also, Macon and Warner Robbins, GA?

Cottonwood

DH is entertaining a job offer in Oglethorpe, GA.  Can anyone tell me about the area?  Or the nearby areas of Macon and Warner Robbins?   :coolgleamA:

The salary would be ..super nice...  wondering how much it would take to sway us into living in a town where there was 1200 people according to the census in 2000 (Oglethorpe).   :laugh:   

Native Georgian and I had to google it.

If you mean Oglethorpe County, that wouldn't be bad. It's right outside Athens, which has a ton of amenities thanks to UGA. If it's the city, it's across the state in Macon County, which is sort of near Macon (the city). We like names and reuse them as often and confusingly as possible. :P It's between Macon, the largest city nearby, Columbus, and Albany (pronounced all-BENNY). Rural. Do you like rural?

• Like 2

looks like it's near Macon.  Wondering if DH will be willing to live in Macon and drive an hr to work everyday. LOL  I don't mind rural.  I think it would be a problem for the kids and their interests.  Wondering how DD's dream of continuing her training as a Violist in a Symphony would work out there.  :/  

Warner Robbins may be somewhere to look at living. It's a little closer to Oglethorpe. I'm also in Georgia and had never heard of it!

yeah, I'm looking at that since DH is retired military and we would need to be in close proximity to a base, well..ideally.., for doctors and other stuff.  

Ok, so now I'm needing input for Macon and Warmer Robbins as well. :)

looks like it's near Macon.  Wondering if DH will be willing to live in Macon and drive an hr to work everyday. LOL  I don't mind rural.  I think it would be a problem for the kids and their interests.  Wondering how DD's dream of continuing her training as a Violist in a Symphony would work out there.  :/  

Macon is only about an hour south of Atlanta.  Also, Mercer University is in Macon, and they have a music department, though that is the extent of my knowledge of Mercer.  I know nothing about Warner Robbins other than that I got a nasty case of food poisoning at a wedding there.  Don't eat the chicken in Warner Robbins is all I've got on that one.

There is a board member who lives in Macon.  If she doesn't see this and chime in, I'll PM you her board name.

• Like 1

Macon is only about an hour south of Atlanta.  Also, Mercer University is in Macon, and they have a music department, though that is the extent of my knowledge of Mercer.  I know nothing about Warner Robbins other than that I got a nasty case of food poisoning at a wedding there.  Don't eat the chicken in Warner Robbins is all I've got on that one.

There is a board member who lives in Macon.  If she doesn't see this and chime in, I'll PM you her board name.

I would love that pm, thank you!

Warner Robins is GROWING, especially on the south side between WR and Perry. I'm not sure where Oglethorpe is, but it does seem that anything besides WR and Macon gets very rural very fast.

WR is a decent place to live. Lots of Christian homeschool groups, including middle and high school, academics and spprts/extracurriculars. GA public schools have nothing to do with homeschooling, so there's no resources there.

Lots of restaurants and things to do... IF you have money to spend. ATL is only 2 hours away, a few state parks are 1 hour away in different directions.

Not a lot of crime in WR, more so in parts of Macon.

The air force has a huge presence here and is pretty much the only reason this community exists.

We've been in WR for 6 years and like it well enough. :) Any specific questions?

HTH!

Okay, so I just looked up Oglethorpe on google maps. It's about 45 minutes away from WR.. Perry is closer and also a good place to live. A lot of people bounce between Macon, WR, and Perry for activities, homes, and jobs.

Also, Perry and WR are in the same county and school system, which is better than Macon's, if that's important to you. I've heard bad things about the Peach Co schools (and Ft. Valley specifically), but I don't know which county Oglethorpe is...

Oh, it's in Montezuma basically.

My family is all from Cordele, which is about halfway between there and Albany. I like to go visit them, but you couldn't pay me sacks of money to live there. And in Oglethorpe (or Montezuma or whatever) you're not even on I-75. You're not even on that road that goes down to Albany from the western Atlanta burbs (I drove that one this summer... that was a long drive...). You'd be really isolated.

I understand Macon has grown and is bigger than it used to be... I guess if I needed to, I would consider that. Gosh, I'm probably being really insulting. Georgia, I love you, but there's a reason we broke up. It's me, Georgia, it's not you. I'm glad I can come visit and buy peas every summer.

Basically what I'm saying is, I think it depends on you and what you want out of a place.

• Like 2

What do we want out of a place?  Right now, DH is jobless and we are pretty much homeless (living with parents) so a paycheck would be right up our alley right about now. Ya know...food on the table and all that jazz.   ;)  They are offering close to six figures and that matters a LOT right now, also.  That being said, we would consider this a stepping stone and very temporary.  DH and I have been moving around the world with the Air Force for 16 yrs so that would be nothing new to us.  In our area of choice where all family is, the job market is either depressed or going backwards.  So, this will get DH a nice pay check and will buy him/us time to keep job hunting in North Florida (preferably Jacksonville, but maybe Orlando as well).  Albeit, slowly since he'll be employed full time.  I have found some key 'must haves' for our family in nearby Macon.  And, listen..........I grew up in Chipley, Fl.  Five stop lights and poverty at every turn.  I'd do just fine and the kids have proven to be pretty adaptable.  I think they would be ok if it was temporary.  Again...AF kids.  It's closer to family that Montana was! 

We determined pretty quickly that we would very likely live in nearby Perry or Warner Robins.  DH doesn't mind the idea of the commute and with the size of the mill and possibly other managers making similar to what they offered him, we are betting there's a fair bit of commuting or carpooling going on.  No way they are living in Oglethorpe.  

So anyway, they are offering an all expenses paid family trip for us to go see the area and visit the mill.  I guess it doesn't hurt to go look.

Still curious about the area if someone has more to add!

• Like 1

I went to law school in Macon.  Not a fan of the city - sort of closed off to outsiders.  Pretty high crime, poor schools, etc. It does have charms - the city wasn't razed by Sherman so there's some cool architecture.  Also some cool parks and other historical things.  But the people aren't really open to new people.  The joke in Georgia is like this:  In Atlanta they ask, where do you work; in Savannah they ask what do you drink; in Macon they ask, who is your family. WR is (was) like a nice suburb of Macon.  If I were going back, I'd chose WR.

• Like 1

I live in the Warner Robins area . . . And, yes, I had to look up Oglethorpe, even though it's only about 45 minutes from where I live! I have, however, heard of Montezuma. The Warner Robins area is okay, and it is close, as you know, to Robins AFB. You could live right nice in this area with a six figure salary! I feel there are limited options in the area, but I think the area is very liveable for a few years. Most people say it's a nice place to raise a family.

• Like 1

I know you need a job.... I just want to make sure you know about living near a paper mill. I can't even stand to drive through where they are, it really, really stinks. Like turn the a/c off in your car even if its over 100 stink...

Well, I guess DH will have to decide if he can handle that. LOL  Since we plan on living about 45 miles away, maybe we won't have to experience it much.  However, I did live in the same town as a paper mill (Panama City, FL) for a long, long time and when the smell of the paper mill stuck around, or the wind was 'just right', it was horrible  But at the time we just learned to live with it.  Some of my friends whose husbands worked there says it smelled like money to them. LOL

I went to law school in Macon.  Not a fan of the city - sort of closed off to outsiders.  Pretty high crime, poor schools, etc. It does have charms - the city wasn't razed by Sherman so there's some cool architecture.  Also some cool parks and other historical things.  But the people aren't really open to new people.  The joke in Georgia is like this:  In Atlanta they ask, where do you work; in Savannah they ask what do you drink; in Macon they ask, who is your family. WR is (was) like a nice suburb of Macon.  If I were going back, I'd chose WR.

Yeah, I've experienced some of that while in the AF.  And, right here where my parents live. :/  

I live in the Warner Robins area . . . And, yes, I had to look up Oglethorpe, even though it's only about 45 minutes from where I live! I have, however, heard of Montezuma. The Warner Robins area is okay, and it is close, as you know, to Robins AFB. You could live right nice in this area with a six figure salary! I feel there are limited options in the area, but I think the area is very liveable for a few years. Most people say it's a nice place to raise a family.

Is there much to do in WR?  I googled a few things to do with the kids like movies and shopping and it all seemed to be there, or in Macon.  What do you think of Perry?

Crazy Warner Robbins trivia--They won the Little League World Series in 2007. The current Miss America was Miss Warner-Robbins on her way to becoming Miss Georgia and then Miss America. And there is an abandoned driving range on I-75 right there that we see every time we drive to Florida and wondered what is was for a while.

Not anything earth shattering, but thought I would share.

• Like 1

When we're in central Georgia, we always find *something* to do... We've done really dopey things (there's a telephone museum in Leslie!) and sort of interesting things like taken the excursion train to Plains, gone to Andersonville (which is very close to Oglethorpe), visited the zoo in Albany (there's an amazingly good wooden playground there too), and gone to Okefenokee and canoed with the gators. Macon doesn't have much that's interesting, but there's a science center and a few things. Anywhere has something.