Menu

Is The Walking Dead worse than Supernatural?

ILiveInFlipFlops

DD13's friends watch it, and we haven't let her yet. She's asking again, and I'm thinking it's probably not a lot worse on the scare/violence scale than Supernatural is, and she's seen all 10 seasons of that. Is there more graphic sexual content in TWD, maybe? Or do you think it's probably fine? She doesn't scare, loves zombie/EOW stuff, etc. 

Thanks!

Much gorier.

Much more filled with despair.

There is a plot that revolves around a woman looking for her missing tween. They find her, she is a zombie and must be killed as the mom watches.

There is a scene where a main character has a baby by emergency unmediated csection and her tween son has to shoot her in the head so she doesn't become a zombie.

Whole lot more implied threat of rape.

It's a good show and I am sure lots of 13 year olds watch it but it's a pretty far cry from cute boys and their friend the cute angel fight British accented baddies.

• Like 2

Supernatural is extremely lighthearted. It's a comedy/drama with the fantasy/supernatural element, and very light on gore and sex, both, except for a handful of episodes which are still rather tame. TWD is kind of awful on every front. Sex would be an improvement - any sensual themes are on the rapey side, IMO.

Supernatural is extremely lighthearted. It's a comedy/drama with the fantasy/supernatural element, and very light on gore and sex, both, except for a handful of episodes which are still rather tame. TWD is kind of awful on every front. Sex would be an improvement - any sensual themes are on the rapey side, IMO.

I don't know, there have been some really sweet romances on TWD.  Like Glenn and the extremely gorgeous woman he could only snag in the apocolypse.  They also have an asexual character (who is a former high fashion model .....)   I don't think it's awful, but I don't think it's for kids.

I don't know, there have been some really sweet romances on TWD. Like Glenn and the extremely gorgeous woman he could only snag in the apocolypse. They also have an asexual character (who is a former high fashion model .....) I don't think it's awful, but I don't think it's for kids.

The scene when Rick's group was attacked by the "called it" group?? Horrifying. When the Gov. kidnapped Maggie? That all cancels out the few moments of sweetness. TWD isn't for kids, IMO.

Who is asexual?

• Like 1

The most disturbing thing about TWD is that you soon become desensitized to the gore.  The story really isn't about the zombies.  They're the ever present nuisance, but the main characters quickly learn how to deal with them.  The main theme is how the various characters deal with the ever present evil all around them.  Good people die, regularly.  Bad people triumph sometimes, for a time.  Good people turn bad.  Good people do bad stuff, but remain good, for a time.  Dh and I have watched all of it, and  look forward to the new season, but we don't currently have a 13yo.  We don't let our 10yo watch it.  I believe our 17yo would be bothered by it.  He doesn't watch it with us, and he's kinda sensitive, so I don't think he'd want to.

• Like 1

Rats :( She's going to be bummed. I'm pretty loose with what we let her watch, but it sounds like this one might be too much. It just stinks that it's something that her friends have in common. They do talk about it a fair bit. 

Thanks everyone. It's a show that DH and I want to watch, but we're currently wrapping up a few other series, and DH has been working a lot of hours. We like to watch shows we're really looking forward to together, so I didn't want to start watching without him just so I could give her an answer. I appreciate the input.

Pointing out that there IS sexual content, all be it brief, in the show a few times with Lori/Shane (implied but painfully obvious) as well as with Rosita/Abraham (they actually show them in the darkness).

The gore would definitely mark it as something I wouldn't show a 13 year old. It's gruesome. I would much rather have the child watch Supernatural, and I don't even like that show.

Apparently Daryl. The creator has described him as, " being somewhat asexual on the show." But it isn't clear if that is just situational because there are more important things to worry about.

:toetap05: More important things to worry about?  :sneaky2:  :lol: Really, I think they should leave his character unattached, although I'd root for Carol + Daryl. 

To clarify, Norman Reedus is a former model. His character Daryl Dixon is not. 

I  know him more from Boondock Saints, though. 

The actor says he plays the character as asexual. An optimist might say that it lets him make interesting choices in the many scenes he has with beautiful women (unlike, Supernatural, where the women are almost always either evil or love interests).  A cynic might say it's because he's no fool and wants to keep 'is Daryl gay or straight' an open question (which, now that I think about it, Jenson Ackles plays pretty hard too).

I mean, they have to execute a little girl because she turns into a murderer.

Just to clarify, that is a DIFFERENT little girl than the aforementioned zombie child. 

The actor says he plays the character as asexual. An optimist might say that it lets him make interesting choices in the many scenes he has with beautiful women (unlike, Supernatural, where the women are almost always either evil or love interests). A cynic might say it's because he's no fool and wants to keep 'is Daryl gay or straight' an open question (which, now that I think about it, Jenson Ackles plays pretty hard too).

Just to clarify, that is a DIFFERENT little girl than the aforementioned zombie child.

The creator recently said Daryl is not gay.

Well, yes, it is far "worse" or more mature.  There are at least 4 sex scenes, the execution of one child, the murder of a bunch of people, cannibals, zombies, gore, guts, animal death...

But to me the worst is the psychological impact.  The Walking Dead can be taken to mean two things: Is it the zombies who are the dead walking, literally?  Or is it the living who are inevitably going to die? I don't want to give too many spoilers, but it's firmly dystopian/post-apocalyptic with a lot of the difficult themes of what it takes to survive in that sort of situation, and the ways people change in response to stress and their lives threatened. What does it mean to live? To me this is too difficult for children, but good fodder for discussion for older more mature teens. I've read the comics, though, so I get a bit on my high horse about watching it for gore vs. watching it for the themes and characters.  I tell people if you want gore, just watch Z Nation.  If you want to really examine human nature, watch The Walking Dead.  But many kids are not emotionally or psychologically ready for that.

Personally, I do let my teens watch now.  But they've only seen the (to me more mild) first season and two episodes of season 2 so far.  I'm unsure if or when I'll let them see the newer seasons.