Menu

Traveling overseas with 3 months worth of meds...

PrincessMommy

My daughter leaves tonight for the UK.  She's got three months worth of asthma, ADD, and anti-depressant drugs.   We're thinking she should put it in her checked bag, but then we're worried that it will get stolen (esp. the ADD meds). 

But she's worried she'll get in trouble if she puts all that medicine in her carry-on and it might  get confiscated. 

Has anyone traveled overseas with a large amount of meds?   Should we be worried?  Should we just mail the bulk of it to her?  Then what happens because doesn't it look like we're using the mail to ship controlled substances overseas?

My mom puts all her medicine into her crossbody handbag when she visited us for six months. She has a doctor's letter and all her medicine has her name and dosage on the label. No problem everytime with TSA at either country.

My doctor just stick a patient label on my asthma inhalers just in case of verification if I need to fly with more than one inhaler. All my meds have patient labels so no issues with customs. I've never travelled with more than a month of OTC medicines so not sure how much is allowed.

• Like 2

I usually carry all our meds together in a carry-on.  I think a lot of people do and it won't be considered suspicious. 

However, if there are so many little containers that it's a hassle, at least carry two weeks-worth of everything in a carry-on.

Also, just a note -- for the first time, members in our family have had things stolen from their checked luggage in recent months (twice in three months!).  That has never happened before.  If you do end up checking the meds, hide them well, or add a lock or even a twist-tie to the luggage zippers.  I've heard that even a little obstacle like that can keep slippery fingers out of checked luggage.

If you do end up checking the meds, hide them well, or add a lock or even a twist-tie to the luggage zippers.  I've heard that even a little obstacle like that can keep slippery fingers out of checked luggage.

Just a reminder that you may not lock check luggage, unless it is a TSA approved lock that can be opened for inspection.

• Like 1

NEVER put medicine or anything critical in checked luggage.  She should have a prescription or some kind of note from her M.D., in case anyone asks her about the medicines.  My guess is that it would be more of a problem, if she were arriving in the USA.  If a Customs agent sees the medications, she must be prepared to explain what they are and what they are for. 

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put more than one kind of medicine into the same container.    

NEVER put medicine or anything critical in checked luggage.  She should have a prescription or some kind of note from her M.D., in case anyone asks her about the medicines.  My guess is that it would be more of a problem, if she were arriving in the USA.  If a Customs agent sees the medications, she must be prepared to explain what they are and what they are for. 

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put more than one kind of medicine into the same container.    

okay thanks.  I think it will be less of a problem when she comes home because she will have much fewer meds by then having used them up this semester.

Hadn't planned to put all the meds together in one container... that just seems foolish, esp. considering what kind of meds she's on.

Because their ingredients can interact with each other?  Or something else?  I admit I have done this...

Customs gets suspicious if medications are mixed in the same container.  How are they going to match medications with patient labels if the medications are mixed.  Spares should preferably be in the sealed containers they came in.