Menu

If you got an email from a friend with a high school freshman...

...saying, "I think I might want to homeschool my high schooler," how would you help them to gather information?

For the record, this is not a whim (there was more to the email, including some thoughtful questions), and I think this friend is incredibly adventurous, competent, and capable of managing homeschooling. More than managing it, actually. She's capable of enjoying it and being very successful.

I'm just trying to gather the "bigness" of all that is homeschooling high school and make it seem realistic but not completely overwhelming. What are some of your favorite resources?

I think I would encourage your friend to begin with accessing where her student is at in the various subjects, his/her natural strengths and weaknesses,  learning style, special interests and educational goals. Considering these (and probably more) characteristics will help her to choose materials that will be a good fit for her child.

I would suggest that she explore any local home school co-ops, online courses  and community college options just so she knows what's available. 

Also she needs to have a clear understanding of her state's home school requirements, graduation requirements and the courses that her student will need to complete during high school to get into the colleges that they are considering.

After she gets her head wrapped around all that, then it's time to start researching which resources would be best. Of course, I would highly recommend this forum to her. People here have often helped me find resources  that meet our specific needs.

• Like 1

I would make sure she is aware of state requirement regarding if she starts homeschooling and then the student decides to return to school for some reason. Will the area schools accept her homeschool credits? or make the student repeat credits? This isn't at all a deal breaker if committed to homeschooling high school, but I think anyone should be aware of the pitfalls if returning to school.

Other than that, answer questions, point her in some directions (like these forums to ask questions), assess goals, etc. Also be aware that there is a learning curve to coming out of school and starting homeschooling - it doesn't all go as initially planned.

I had a friend ask me the same question.  She asked about curriculum providers with video instruction that would be a good fit for her ds's academic level.  I gave suggestions specifically for that request, but I didn't volunteer lots of other information.  I learned many years ago not to waste my time walking people through the whole homeschooling process; unless people care enough to do their own research and make their own decisions about it, they aren't likely to continue with homeschooling. 

FWIW, for people with younger dc, I've recommended WTM and The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling.  There is also an Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens, but I'm not sure if it's helpful or not.

I recommend the high school board here frequently.  

I would also point out that local high schools do not accept homeschool credits and would start a student back at 9th grade if they go to a public high school before graduating.

I have had people over to share what is good, what is challenging, what costs money, what pitfalls we've found and what books we use.  I talk about the negatives of being both the parent and the teacher.  I talk about the administrative burden of documentation required for college applications.

If someone really wants to sit and talk about it, I will.  If they end up deciding that homeschooling isn't a good choice for their family, that doesn't mean the conversation wasn't useful or fruitful.  (And I probably give more details about the negatives to parents of older kids than to parents of elementary aged kids.  It's harder to mess up first grade than 11th grade.)

• Like 2

I agree with giving her info on the state laws and answering questions. I would tell her about the monthly new homeschooling meeting that is held in our area. I would have her over for lunch and talk through the idea. That would include a lot of time with me asking questions to help her think.

Questions I would ask include:

What classes is child taking now?

What does child want to do after high school?

What classes will child want to take in the next year? In the next 4 years?

Are you thinking of pulling your child this year or starting next fall?

How comfortable are you teaching... all the classes she said the child would take next year?

Do you think you should consider some online classes?

I would also encourage her to be realistic about the amount of time this will take and the amount of over site her child will need, having never been taught to learn independently. 

Then I'd recommend Cathy Duffy's 102 Top Picks in Homeschool Curriculum, not just for the curriculum ideas, but for the discussion of homeschooling methods, learning and teaching styles. I'd send her a link to this forum and then tell her to let me know when she has more questions.

I have done this with lots of people. I think my biggest mistake in the early years was giving too much information. A parent who will be a successful homeschool teacher will be able to research for herself with just some direction for where to look.

• Like 1

You've received many helpful suggestions.

I think I would first ask your friend "Why?"  Why is she considering homeschooling?  Is her child agreeable?  What does she, the parent, envision her child doing after homeschooling high school?  What does the child wish to do in his/her post high school years? 

The answers to those questions would help me determine how to advise her.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2