Menu

Grammar help again

kiwik

I thought it would be a bright idea to discuss grammar with ds6 while doing WWE1. I just meant to cover nouns but now he wants more. The more I learn about the gramma the more confused I get. So can someone give me the breakdown of the following with reasons to put me on the right path?

Davy Crockett lived in Tennessee, but he wanted to explore the state of Texas.

Thanks

Davy Crockett= subject noun

lived=verb (what did the subject do in this case.....he lived)

in TN= prep phrase. In is the prep. TN is the object of the prep. The entire phrase is an adv describing where he lived.

but= conj connecting two complete thoughts

he= pron, subj of 2nd clause.

wanted=verb (what did the subject do in this case....he wanted)

to explore the state of TX= Infinitive phrase as DO of wanted. To explore is an infinitive. The state is the DO of explore. Of TX is a prep phrase acting as an adj describing TX.

At least that is what my pre-coffee brain with only a couple of hours of sleep produced.

• Like 2

Of TX is a prep phrase acting as an adj describing TX. the state.

Also, if you want to do common vs.proper nouns: Davy Crockett, TN and TX are proper, but state is common.

I taught my daughter through Basher Basics, "Grammar, The Bill of Writes!" by Mary Budzik. It takes each sentence part and introduces it like a person. Very easy to understand and memorize, and best of all it makes it fun for them. I wish learning Grammar was this entertaining when I grew up. I may have actually liked it! I highly recommend the Basher series for children in general. All fantastic books.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Have you tried SWB's First Language Lessons?  Level 1 spends a lot of time on nouns but I believe also covers verbs and some other parts of speech.  We always skipped the narration and dictation exercises because we were doing WWE.  It is also highly scripted and easy to teach (there are 4 levels).

There is also an old book out there that is free online - called Grammar Land.  It is a story book that teaches grammar to children.

If you want to teach yourself first- I highly recommend the Get Smart Grammar series online. I learned a lot from it.  I think it might be too difficult for a 6 y.o.  

In addition to School House Rock (love it!) you might look at Grammaropolis;  I found it to be limited in scope, but a fun introduction to the basics.  

Have you tried SWB's First Language Lessons? Level 1 spends a lot of time on nouns but I believe also covers verbs and some other parts of speech. We always skipped the narration and dictation exercises because we were doing WWE. It is also highly scripted and easy to teach (there are 4 levels).

I have FLL1 somewhere but i hated the poetry and it is too slow for my kids. Maybe i could compress it though.

I have grammarland, willy's grammar and escape of the killer noun. I would like Sentence Family too but with the current exchange rate it is a bit pricey for a PDF.

I have learnt a lot but i am at the point where i know i have missed something but not what.