Menu

what am I doing wrong?

redsquirrel

Ds1 goes back to public high school on Thursday and I keep thinking I am doing it wrong. Everyone always talks about how busy they are in the days leading up to their kids going back to school and I can't figure out why?  This is only the second time I have done this and so maybe I don't know what I should be doing?

He has a backpack from last year. He got two new pairs of jeans last month b/c he grew out of a couple. He says he doesn't need new shoes b/c his old ones still fit. He is a ballet dancer but we got new shoes in June and they haven't blown out yet.  His school doesn't send home lists of supplies and we have plenty of pencils and stuff.  I will go shopping this coming weekend for any specific things his teachers ask for like binders or whatnot. He has a lunch box, I got him a checkup at the doctor a while back.

I really can't think of anything he needs or that I need to do. But all around me is a flurry of activity of people getting 'ready'. Maybe its clothes? My kid couldn't care less about clothes, so maybe that is it.

Oh, he did ask for a haircut and I did manage that one, lol.

I am having a hard time figuring out what all the fuss is about.  I spend a lot more time getting ready to teach my 5th grader.

• Like 1

I had one go to school for the first time this year.  I didn't think it was that hard either, and we DID need a boatload of things.  He has a fairly strict dress code (chino pants or shorts, collared shirts, socks, shoes, belt and no hair below the ear or collar.) 

He needed a lot of supplies, including a new backpack.  Each teacher asked for his/her own 1.5" binder for each class (which is why we needed  a new backpack!)

They don't have a cafeteria so he needed a lunchbox and containers and such.

We still managed not to spend all that much $$ or time.  Lots of online shopping, a few trips to Target that were manageable, etc....

Sounds like you are all set! My kids go to PS. My fifth grader has used the same backpack all through elementary school. Second grader has used his for 3 years. I only bought one for my kindergartner. School supplies were bought in one quick trip. I buy clothes on sale ahead of time so no need to buy anything new right now. I don't know, I didn't spend much time getting ready either.

I think you've got it all under control. One of my sons is going to a school this year and I made the mistake of buying all the supplies they requested before school started. He wound up actually needing less than half of it. I did return the unnecessary items, but in hindsight I would wait until after school starts to find out what he really needs.

Agree--I just had one this year and it's not nearly as crazy as when it was three. Clothes, school supplies, cramming in appointments, getting in some last minute family fun, plus some school activities like marching band are in full swing before school even starts. 

I think you've got it all under control. One of my sons is going to a school this year and I made the mistake of buying all the supplies they requested before school started. He wound up actually needing less than half of it. I did return the unnecessary items, but in hindsight I would wait until after school starts to find out what he really needs.

I got that 'right' last year by mistake. I just plain forgot to get stuff like binders. It was our first year and I didn't think of it.  He came home the first or second day telling me he had to get this and that and so I got it 'late'. It's just a mile to the local Wegmans and they have anything you could ever need.

Ok, I am feeling better. I can see how it would be more difficult with more than one kid, just the number of haircuts would sink me.

I am never going to get used to this. I have one kid in public school but sure I don't 'feel' like i am part of that world.

Thank you for the reassurance. I do feel better. I have such a disconnect that I assume I am doing everything wrong. I get annoyed by some stuff and voice off only to find no one else is bothered by that, or there are things I LOVE (let's hear it for a great science department) that no one else seems to value.

For me, some years are easier than others.  I seemed to have it all together last year.  This year, my life is in chaos due to a big construction project at home.  That takes up a lot of RAM space in my brain, not to mention time and floor space.

What we had to do this year:

• Pay the tuition and fees, fill out various forms.
  • Buy and pack a long list of school supplies specific to their teacher.  (Only a few things could transfer from last year.)
  • Buy clothes and shoes for my kid who is on a growth spurt.  (We have a strict dress code, so they can't wear "everyday" clothes to school.)
  • Sign up for school-year extracurriculars (7 of them) and populate the calendar.  Buy new gear as needed.  (Several of the activities started the same week as school.)
  • Have the kids finish their assigned summer homework.  There were about 50 assignments, not counting reading and math facts.
  • Buy supplemental materials for afterschooling.
  • Take both kids to the eye doctor.
  • Take all three of us to the dentist, chiropractor, and hair salon.
  • Meet with the teachers on parents' night.
  • Figure out the new schedule and get the kids on board with it.

I was supposed to be trying to orchestrate a move from my kids' shared little bedroom to their two new rooms, before school started.  But they still aren't done building, so instead I have furniture in boxes all over the dusty place.  Oh, and I've been without laundry facilities for much of the past month.  Keeping the place organized enough to function has been challenging.

Meanwhile, our summer was packed with full-time work, travel, many summer camps and lessons, swim meets, horse show, mom-assigned school work, extended-family stuff, volunteer stuff, and whatever else I'm forgetting.  So the back-to-school stuff had to be squeezed into an already tight schedule.

For me, some years are easier than others.  I seemed to have it all together last year.  This year, my life is in chaos due to a big construction project at home.  That takes up a lot of RAM space in my brain, not to mention time and floor space.

What we had to do this year:

• Pay the tuition and fees, fill out various forms.
  • Buy and pack a long list of school supplies specific to their teacher.  (Only a few things could transfer from last year.)
  • Buy clothes and shoes for my kid who is on a growth spurt.  (We have a strict dress code, so they can't wear "everyday" clothes to school.)
  • Sign up for school-year extracurriculars (7 of them) and populate the calendar.  Buy new gear as needed.  (Several of the activities started the same week as school.)
  • Have the kids finish their assigned summer homework.  There were about 50 assignments, not counting reading and math facts.
  • Buy supplemental materials for afterschooling.
  • Take both kids to the eye doctor.
  • Take all three of us to the dentist, chiropractor, and hair salon.
  • Meet with the teachers on parents' night.
  • Figure out the new schedule and get the kids on board with it.

I was supposed to be trying to orchestrate a move from my kids' shared little bedroom to their two new rooms, before school started.  But they still aren't done building, so instead I have furniture in boxes all over the dusty place.  Oh, and I've been without laundry facilities for much of the past month.  Keeping the place organized enough to function has been challenging.

Meanwhile, our summer was packed with full-time work, travel, many summer camps and lessons, swim meets, horse show, mom-assigned school work, extended-family stuff, volunteer stuff, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Lol, if I had to do all of that I wouldn't be wondering why I didn't have anything to do.

I think after homeschooling, where there's often a push to get all the curriculum purchased and planned, preparing for public school was a breeze. I'm now struggling with the notion that I won't know the details of their education.

I did this! I'm kicking myself for buying school supplies he really didn't need.

• Like 1

I think a lot of PS parents get requirements ahead of time too (supplies, uniforms, etc). If you get lists afterwards, that's a big burden deferred until after school starts. If vaccines and forms are taken care of already (another big time requirement), then you're ahead of the game. There's also a lot of schools that have meet the teachers ahead of time (idk about high school), or tours of a new school, some students have bike routes to figure out and time required to commute before school starts. Bit by bit to take care of things is easier IMO.

I just find the life-around-school busy. A certain wake up time in the morning, a hustle through routine, get to the bus, get everything done before going to the bus stop again, or picking up -- and then 2h of make lunches, make supper, do homework, take showers, practice piano, get some exercise, do some chores, teach some cooking, all squished in before a bedtime that's early enough that this constantly demanding schedule doesn't break their brains -- or mine!

It's a big change from the la-de-dah "hmmm have you showered lately? Better do that sometime. Oh look, you're reading, that's nice." -- feeling of summertime.

It also got harder when I gave immature kids some personal responsibility for things (which later become things we have to scramble about). When I did it all myself, it felt less chaotic.

I just find the life-around-school busy. A certain wake up time in the morning, a hustle through routine, get to the bus, get everything done before going to the bus stop again, or picking up -- and then 2h of make lunches, make supper, do homework, take showers, practice piano, get some exercise, do some chores, teach some cooking, all squished in before a bedtime that's early enough that this constantly demanding schedule doesn't break their brains -- or mine!

It's a big change from the la-de-dah "hmmm have you showered lately? Better do that sometime. Oh look, you're reading, that's nice." -- feeling of summertime.

It also got harder when I gave immature kids some personal responsibility for things (which later become things we have to scramble about). When I did it all myself, it felt less chaotic.

Right - in the summer, getting up late didn't have major consequences, and the kids almost never had to be fed & out the door by 7:30am like mine do now.  It's stressful just thinking about the transition from "yawn, maybe we should get up" to "LEAP out of bed or you're going to miss the bus!"

Another thing - planning healthy, super-quick breakfasts and packable lunches & snacks for a week or more.  Sounds easy, but it's just one more thing to think about.

If you're like me, you have all these "easy" things to remember, and you constantly feel like you're forgetting something.  :)