Menu

California peeps-Got a question

Hot Lava Mama

Did this in fact happen or is this a hypothetical question?

Not that the answer matters, but it wasn't clear. I can't imagine applying when you don't either have a-g required courses or strong SAT subject test scores. And consider that lots and lots of qualified kids are rejected by the UC system every year.  I guess it would only come up if a transfer application has a question about previous applications to the UC system. Otherwise there are transfer agreements with most community colleges, and beyond transfer agreements, some of the UCs have binding agreements that if you complete the CC transfer requirements (with specific parameters on courses and grades) you are guaranteed admission as a transfer student. 

The community college path to a transfer admission in the UC system has been used by a dozen or more homeschoolers that I know personally.  I don't think any of them applied as freshmen, though.  

• Like 1

The CC path is a good one, but it's tricky.  I don't think that a perceived deficient high school education would prevent admission by that route, but I would suggest carefully considering whether your student is fully prepared to enter CC on that track and excel enough to get into a UC if he doesn't have the heavily academic high school background that Freshman admission requires.  True, some kids are late bloomers, and it's good that we have so many reasonably priced ways to start over fresh, but please look very carefully at whether he will now be able to achieve an outstanding CC record to get into one of those top schools, and also consider what your fallback would be if he doesn't quite make it.

Did this in fact happen or is this a hypothetical question?

Not that the answer matters, but it wasn't clear. I can't imagine applying when you don't either have a-g required courses or strong SAT subject test scores. And consider that lots and lots of qualified kids are rejected by the UC system every year.  I guess it would only come up if a transfer application has a question about previous applications to the UC system. Otherwise there are transfer agreements with most community colleges, and beyond transfer agreements, some of the UCs have binding agreements that if you complete the CC transfer requirements (with specific parameters on courses and grades) you are guaranteed admission as a transfer student. 

The community college path to a transfer admission in the UC system has been used by a dozen or more homeschoolers that I know personally.  I don't think any of them applied as freshmen, though.  

Ds is only in 11th right now, but we are trying to figure out the best route to take.  He has taken courses that are actually tougher than the a-g requirements, but my understanding is that the courses had to be approved.  They weren't.  If the college actually looked at what he did (on the non-approved courses) they would see he exceed the requirements.  I just don't know if they take the time. 

So, given that (1) he could handle and is well qualified for the UC system, but (2) he doesn't have a-g "APPROVED"  courses, what would you suggest?  Go the CC route? 

I guess I am thinking that if the college actually looked closely at his courses, they would admit him.  But the question is do they do that?

Hot Lava Mama

, but I would suggest carefully considering whether your student is fully prepared to enter CC on that track and excel enough to get into a UC if he doesn't have the heavily academic high school background that Freshman admission requires. 

It isn't that he isn't prepared or that he hasn't taken hard courses.  He has taken all of the requirements for a-g, but the courses weren't "approved a-g" courses.  In fact, the courses he has taken exceed those of the a-g requirements.  He has taken many honors courses, too.  He is taking ACT this year (don't know scores yet) and PSAT this year.  Based on his "practice" PSAT scores the last two years, his scores should be pretty high and well within the range of the UC scores.

Do you know if they look past the "approved" part of the a-g if his testing scores are high?  If so, maybe that is where he would be able to lean.

Hot Lava Mama

There are other ways to be eligible besides approved a-g courses. You can use AP tests, college courses and SAT II's to satisfy a-g requirements. Alternatively you can show eligibility by examination, which requires specific high SAT and SAT II scores. All of this is on the UC website.

Fantastic!  I will check that out.  He is taking a lot of AP courses this year, so hopefully, the scores will be up there.  I will look into the SAT II, also.  He will be taking both the ACT and SAT, also.  I think I read somewhere that the ACT can replace the SAT II tests. 

Thanks for your help.

Hot Lava Mama

I think I read somewhere that the ACT can replace the SAT II tests. 

The ACT does not replace any of the SAT II subject tests.  Your son can use either his AP exam score or SAT II exam score for the same subject.

Below link is info for satisfying the A-G requirements by exam scores.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/minimum-requirements/subject-requirement/index.html

For UCB

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/minimum-requirements/examination-requirement/sat-subject-tests.html

"Recommendations for fall 2016 applicants

Remember, these are recommendations, not mandates. Students will not be penalized for failing to take the SAT Subject Tests.

A few UC campuses recommend students take certain SAT Subject Tests for specific colleges or schools, and majors. Even if subject tests are not recommended, they may add merit to a student's application.

Berkeley

College of Chemistry and College of Engineering: Math Level 2 and a science test (Biology E/M, Chemistry, or Physics) closely related to the applicant's intended major.

Davis

Not recommended for any area."

There are boardies with kids in both UCB and UC Davis.

ETA:

For UCB

"However, for the professional colleges of Chemistry, Environmental Design, and Engineering demonstrated interest in the major is also taken into consideration. Furthermore, in the colleges of Chemistry and Engineering, Berkeley faculty in these disciplines have asked that readers place added emphasis on sustained achievement in mathematics and science, and have indicated a preference that these applicants take the Math Level 2 SAT Subject Test and a science test (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) that is closely related to the applicant's intended major."

ETA:

The behavior of students just outside the frat houses along Telegraph Ave did turn all of us (including our kids) off every time we drive by on the way home from LHS. YMMV of course.

​

I still don't see that UC schools are the be-all-end-all of higher education.  Both my kids went to private schools out of state and it wound up costing us exactly the same as it would if they were living in the dorms at a UC.  Less, even for one ds who wound up being a paid research assistant in his freshman year and a TA and peer tutor by his junior year -- positions that at a UC would go to a grad student. Many private schools are generous with their merit aid -- don't dismiss them without first looking a little closer.

There are several good in state private schools. Many private schools are generous with their merit aid -- don't dismiss them without first looking a little closer. Oregon and Arizona both have in-state tuition deals for California students. (Utah may as well? Perhaps Nevada?)

The admissions folk at UC schools do not have the time to take a close look at your ds's transcripts based on the sheer numbers of applications they get. And as I said in a previous post, they don't accept many kids who have met all the requirements and who have loads of APs and other top scores.  It has been like this for years -- you have to follow the stupid a-g requirements or the testing route or transfer in. Choose one method or look at the hundreds of other options out there.

• Like 2

FTR, in California, when a student transfers from a c.c. to a CalState or UC, his high school transcript is irrelevant. This probably doesn't answer your question, but just as an FYI to folks who don't live in California. :-)

Really!  I didn't know that!  What about the college tests kids take in high school?  Should I even bother to have him take the AP's, SAT, SAT II, ACT tests, or is it only his transcript that is irrelevant?

Really! I didn't know that! What about the college tests kids take in high school? Should I even bother to have him take the AP's, SAT, SAT II, ACT tests, or is it only his transcript that is irrelevant?

UCDavis has TAG (transfer admission guarantee). UCB doesn't participate in TAG.

http://tag.ucdavis.edu/students/majors.cfm

Have your son been to CalDay? It was in April this year and would be in spring next year, date not determined yet.

http://calday.berkeley.edu/marketplace.php

Also speak to the TAG counsellor at your local community college. My local community college sent out brochures for TAG and college transfers to all residents in May/June.

• Like 1

Fwiw the ACT as equivalent to a subject test is something I've seen from other schools. For example Univ of Hawaii wants homeschoolers to have a GED or Subject tests or ACT scores.

One of the Arizona schools (ASU I think) will use an ACT score to meet one of the lab demonstration requirements.

Taking the ACT with writing eliminates the need for SAT II scores at many schools.  Sometimes the SAT IIs are required for specific programs and even specific subjects may be required. 

Here are some sites which give some of the info.  It's always best to look up each school and even contact admissions for info specific to the student.

According to College Board 160 colleges use SAT II scores and this site lists them.  No specifics are given, so it would require further research, but if a school isn't on this list, it likely doesn't need them.  CB has a financial stake in listing all the schools, so their list should be comprehensive.  Obviously if any of the scores are good, it doesn't hurt to send them to all whether required or not.

https://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-subject/about/institutions

This list seems to favor the more selective colleges.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/complete-list-of-colleges-that-require-sat-subject-tests

When I looked the other day I think I found a site which gives more homeschooler info, but I can't seem to find it now.  If anyone has a good resource it would be helpful to list it here.  Or maybe we could make up our own list specific to homeschoolers.

Edited to add:  Oops I posted to the wrong thread.

He can apply by test score and show by his course titles that he has exceeded the A-G requirements.

Also, UC Riverside is notably more homeschooler friendly than the others.

Reputedly UC Berkeley has an average incoming GPA of 4.3 on a 4.0 scale, so it's extremely competitive.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but that's what you're up against.  Also, sometimes you will be admitted into the school but not the major, which is tricky to proceed with.

I still don't see that UC schools are the be-all-end-all of higher education. 

Yep.  I agree.  The reason why UC Davis is so appealing is that it is really close by our home and it has a great reputation for the field that he is interested in-engineering.  No dorm fees, plus DS can live at home and save for a down payment on a house.

:)

Hot Lava mama

• Like 1