Menu

The Puppy has to go Back, Right?

Paige

We have the report from the veterinary eye doctor. The rescue had him do a full eval and our pup had a better report than his brothers. His brothers are predicted to go blind as they age but his defect is considered mild. 

He's going back tonight. The rescue wants him back to take to the vet tomorrow. They said if the vet says he's sick with something fixable then we can have him back if we want and if he's not sick physically, they'll rehome him. They want to keep him until at least Monday to see how he's behaving. 

He came from a bad place before they got him. I don't think they know his full history because he was rescued by them from animal control and then nursed to what they thought was health. They said he was in terrible shape at first. 

Okay, so health issue that would make the best of dogs slightly nervous/anxious plus bad start in life = difficult dog. What we in the business would consider a project dog. NOT the dog for a busy family, I'm afraid. But someone out there will give him the very best care that he needs, and there is a dog out there for your family as well. Hugs. So sorry, I know this is traumatic. I do. I hope I didn't sound callous in any of this. 

• Like 1

You were put in a tough spot Paige. As Katie said, this pup is going to be a project dog. You are not to be blamed if it is more that you feel capable of taking on in your life at the moment.

Go easy on yourself.

I hope a new opportunity comes your way.

Bill

I'm so sorry.   I agree with others and think you did the right thing.   We've BTDT with a lab puppy that was WAY too much for our family.   It was one of the hardest things we've ever done, but it was the right thing to do.   We waited until we were ready and got an entirely different breed (miniature schnauzer), who is perfect for our family.

The rescue wants him back to take to the vet tomorrow. They said if the vet says he's sick with something fixable then we can have him back if we want and if he's not sick physically, they'll rehome him. They want to keep him until at least Monday to see how he's behaving. 

Hooray for the rescue!!!  That is exactly the correct response.  

Extra gentle hugs for you and your family tonight.  This can't be easy.