Menu

Curriculum with Lesson Plans? ... Because I Need Help

Nothing like the last minute to change plans.  We start in a week, and I need help with my 7th / 8th grader who is VERY resistant to all I require.  However, he does great with the expectations of others.  I realized, I need him to be accountable to someone else's requirements, where possible.  

I want to find the publishers who offer a lesson plan with their products.

For example, Memoria Press offers a complete lesson plan by grade.

Kolbe offers a lesson plan by subject.

Catholic Heritage offers a lesson plan by grade.

Who are the other publishers that offer a lesson plan with their products?  At this point, I am looking at all subjects!

Thanks.

Nothing like the last minute to change plans.  We start in a week, and I need help with my 7th / 8th grader who is VERY resistant to all I require.  However, he does great with the expectations of others.  I realized, I need him to be accountable to someone else's requirements, where possible.  

I want to find the publishers who offer a lesson plan with their products.

For example, Memoria Press offers a complete lesson plan by grade.

Kolbe offers a lesson plan by subject.

Catholic Heritage offers a lesson plan by grade.

Who are the other publishers that offer a lesson plan with their products?  At this point, I am looking at all subjects!

Thanks.

Just having lesson plans doesn't make him accountable, though. Seems as if you'd actually need to enroll him in a distance-learning school of some kind.

Thank you, thank you .... keep them coming.

We have tried HOD and Sonlight, flops for us.  Maybe I should reconsider them?

I have a new appreciation for you super Teachers that are able to write out your own Lessons Plans.  We have always done Open & Go, but things end up falling through the cracks with this one son.  For my sanity, I need to find something different for him that will be challenging and help me, hold him accountable.

Ellie

Are you thinking K12 type of distance learning?  He will be taking 1-3 online classes which are great for him (Writing, Lit. Science).  However, my hope is that  - if the remaining assignments are written out - such as -  he has to do Lesson 12, exercise 1-14 on Tuesday, it will be much easier for ME to make sure that specific work gets done.  Maybe I am kidding myself?

Right now, he is a master manipulator, and I am too easily talked out of stuff - so I am hoping the lesson plan will help me define exactly what must be done daily/weekly.  Make sense?

Calvert is awesome for this scenario. My son is using Calvert 8 with ATS and it is extremely well done, just enough to Interest and challenge him while still leaving plenty of time for his own interests and hobbies. He really enjoys the vi an, lit and reading. I really highly recommend it if you have 2k to spend. Also our ATS experience has been in invaluable.

Ellie

Are you thinking K12 type of distance learning?  He will be taking 1-3 online classes which are great for him (Writing, Lit. Science).  However, my hope is that  - if the remaining assignments are written out - such as -  he has to do Lesson 12, exercise 1-14 on Tuesday, it will be much easier for ME to make sure that specific work gets done.  Maybe I am kidding myself?

Right now, he is a master manipulator, and I am too easily talked out of stuff - so I am hoping the lesson plan will help me define exactly what must be done daily/weekly.  Make sense?

No, not at all. I'm thinking of actually *enrolling* him in Calvert, or Oak Meadow, or whatever. A distance-learning school, a correspondence school, a satellite school--different names that all mean the same thing: a school office somewhere that makes the rules. He would then be actually accountable to someone. If you buy something like Sonlight, which has very detailed daily lesson plans, you are still the one to whom he is accountable, and that wouldn't be any different than what you're doing now as far as accountability.

• Like 1

This is exactly why we changed to HOD!  (besides the fact that I HATE lesson planning!)  My children were great at convincing me why certain things couldn't get done.  Now my kids know they have to finish all the "boxes" before school is done.  There is no negotiating! :)  I know you said you have tried HOD and it was a flop, so I'm not saying you need to do that again, but I would encourage you to find something that's easy for THE CHILDREN to look at and see what needs to be done with little input from you!

Good luck!

• Like 2

I have spent hours looking over all the suggestions, and I am narrowing done my goals.  

I have signed my son up for online Writing, Science and French.  We will continue with our Language Arts and Math programs. Now, I am trying to tackle Literature and History.  We have tried, to varying degrees, Sonlight, HOD, Biblioplan, Oak Meadow, BJU, and Memoria Press.  Seriously, that is crazy.  I am writing this out to help me process my thoughts/desires.

The constant we have stuck with is Story of the World.  I was disappointed when we got to SOTW 4.  I did not like the activity book, and our note-booking and mapping stopped.  I want a program that helps me with mapping, and succinctly summarizing history (ideally it incorporates literature with quick comprehension questions).  

With Sonlight, Biblioplan and Bookshark, I get overwhelmed with their plans.  I find this more confusing than helpful.  I love the simplicity of Memoria Press' Lesson Plans, but much of the material I find dry and there is LOTS of writing..  I love the simplicity of Oak Meadow, but it is really not my son's style (He loves the MP reading, but not all the writing).

For History, I am considering finishing SOTW 4 (making myself schedule out the 1/3 of the book we have left), and then .....Memoria Press, Oak Meadow, Beautiful Feet and BYL (their Unit Study on WWII looks great).

For Literature, well, that depends on where we go with History.  I may use a few Lit. Guides, a Reading List, and Figuratively Speaking.

I just can't commit!!  I am fickle by nature, and all the wonderful choices feed my indecision.

***I just downloaded BYL Unit Study on WWII, and it looks great - it is straight forward, and includes History and Literature.  It is a bargain at $9.99!