Menu

If you were going to spend money on an online math game...

Which would you pick?  I've heard good things about Reflex math.  I know I have heard of others too but I can't remember any names right now.

My kids had done Xtra Math and they are over it!  We've done Big Brains and they do like it, and I like that it's free :)

• Like 1

We have done reflex math and the free and paid versions of Big Brainz.  My kids vastly prefer Big Brainz. They grew really tired of the limited games in Reflex Math. Big Brainz feels more like playing a video game to them also.

My oldest has been through every operator in Big Brainz twice so now he is doing math stuff in Clever Dragons. It was free over the summer and now we have a paid subscription.  You can do more than math in it though. 

Another math option is IXL. I have not used it but others have and liked it.

We tried Tenmarks for a free trial over the summer and my son did not like it. 

• Like 1

Ooh! I didn't know about this one. Can you tell me the difference between the free and the full version?

My son could probably tell you more than I can, but I think it just gets you greater power or pets, etc. Educationally, the game is the same. My son loves it.

• Like 1

We've tried several and I still haven't found "the one", but would love to! Ds9 is currently obsessed with learning algebra and makes me give him math problems to solve from dd's Dolciani pre-algebra book. I would love to find something that challenges and interests him while still being a bit fun!

We bought a year of Reflex.

Son did not care for Xtra Math - not fun. Son did not care for paid version of Timez Attack (Big Brainz) which we got through a school trial for a few weeks. I thought it looked fun, like a video game, as someone said. My son (barely 6 at the time) found it way too intense and couldn't deal with the time pressure of it. We did the DreamBox trial - he didn't like the math portion and spent all his time looking at the rewards/games. He has a good conceptual understanding, but some things felt unintuitive to me, and I didn't like the fast cover-up they did with some of the math problems - I thought you had to subitize really fast and have really focused attention for that. I bought the Splash Math app - son not a fan: very drillish; he didn't find it entertaining at all despite being animated. We also tried TenMarks with the free trial - I thought (besides being not fun) many of the questions were poorly worded.

With Reflex there's time pressure too, but it's less dramatic if you fail I think. He doesn't adore it, but he does it willingly every day. I like the information available to parents. He is at 93% fluency after about 1 1/2 months. We do the free 20 questions a day from IXL sometimes, too. That is boring and not fun, but fast and effective, and well sorted by category, if there's something you want to practice quickly. My son will tolerate it. If you actually paid for it, you could keep track of what your child knew. I am thinking of trying a year, next year. I like Khan, too, for something free and online.

• Like 1

I was coming to post about Prodigy myself. All three of my kids love it. We use the free version, but the kids are actually considering spending their own $ to buy the extras. As I understand it, you get more options for pets/clothes/furniture and things cost fewer coins when you "buy" stuff. Not a huge educational benefit, thus I am not bankrolling it. 😄

I signed up as a teacher and really like the options. Not sure what you get as a parent, but as a teacher I can choose from several different sets of standards (ie Common Core etc.) and pick and choose which types of questions it will ask. I can program in a higher proportion of, say, double-digit addition and less subtraction if that is what I need. I also get charts showing which questions they missed so I can see problem areas. It is the best math supplement I've ever used, largely because the kids love it so much they'd play all day if I let them. (It can, however, be glitchy sometimes. I'd hope the paid-for version is not, but don't know)

• Like 2

I signed up as a teacher and really like the options. Not sure what you get as a parent, but as a teacher I can choose from several different sets of standards (ie Common Core etc.) and pick and choose which types of questions it will ask.

I was wondering what the difference in all of those options are.  I have no idea what to select!

I was coming to post about Prodigy myself. All three of my kids love it. We use the free version, but the kids are actually considering spending their own $ to buy the extras. As I understand it, you get more options for pets/clothes/furniture and things cost fewer coins when you "buy" stuff. Not a huge educational benefit, thus I am not bankrolling it. 😄

I signed up as a teacher and really like the options. Not sure what you get as a parent, but as a teacher I can choose from several different sets of standards (ie Common Core etc.) and pick and choose which types of questions it will ask. I can program in a higher proportion of, say, double-digit addition and less subtraction if that is what I need. I also get charts showing which questions they missed so I can see problem areas. It is the best math supplement I've ever used, largely because the kids love it so much they'd play all day if I let them. (It can, however, be glitchy sometimes. I'd hope the paid-for version is not, but don't know)

What is the top level of math it gets to, and how much can be done by guessing right answers out of multiple choice options?

What is the top level of math it gets to, and how much can be done by guessing right answers out of multiple choice options?

It has topics listed up through Common Core 8th grade level.  There are some multiple choice questions (How many vertices does a hexagon have?), but most of the arithmetic questions require the child to do the math and then enter their answer.

Wendy

• Like 2

I think Reflex Math and Prodigy are a good combination. We have paid subscriptions to both, and Reflex Math helps gives dd plenty of fact practice, while Prodigy allows her to use the facts to do more in-depth problems. 

Dd, of course, vastly prefers Prodigy to Reflex Math. I may even have my own Prodigy account. ;)

• Like 4

I just caved and bought them the paid membership.  They were over the moon :)

I'm still not sure what to select as far as common core, MAFS, TEKS, etc.  The only one I have heard of is common core.  What do you all use?

I don't think it really even matters, since the game seems to progress as they learn.  I think I picked CC though.

I had a couplee of my kids get frustrated in Prodigy as it was asking stuff thry hadn't learned yet over and over... so I did put a grade level on them. I think it has Ontario standards, so I used that as we are in Canada. I wish their algorithm had decided to go to another topic on its own.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk